WORKSHARP WS3000 Great sharpner - I'm in love

Review by woodmaker posted 12-27-2011 09:47 PM 3109 views 1 time favorited 32 comments Add to Favorites Watch
WORKSHARP WS3000 Great sharpner - I'm in love No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received the Work Sharp 3000 for Xmas.

I absolutely love this thing. Dry sharpen, no water, no mess.

I sharpened 5 chisels and one plane iron in about an hour (maybe less).

The only reason I didn’t give it a 5th star is because I have one plane iron slightly over 2” and it doesn’t fit the ramp so I can’t sharpen it on the machine. I have to load the iron in a jig and sharpen from the top. The plane iron might be 2 1/8” at the most. I mean come on!

I’ve tried different grits of sandpaper on a floor tile and worked all day to only get a “slightly” sharper edge that made the tool more dangerous than before. If I have to get a cut, I want it from a very sharp object.

I have better things to do than spend hours or days trying to sharpen my tools.

Other than that it’s damned nice and I have NEVER been able to sharpen anything in my life till yesterday.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#1 posted 12-27-2011 10:13 PM

Mike—Their ‘Wide Blade Attachment’ is worth adding … it provides a platform to the left of the platter that you can use with the jig they provide with it, or other sharpening jigs.

I like mine and use it a good deal. The only problem I have had was getting the skew adjustment right … it is finicky!

—Gerry

View Viking's profile

Viking

857 posts in 1942 days

#2 posted 12-27-2011 10:20 PM

Mike;

Got one for my birthday and have done a few chisels that came out very sharp in a short time spent. Even reclaimed one that had been used to construction adhesive from concrete. Thought that one was a goner but, is now better than new.

Using the top surface to flatten the backs of chisels is a snap and very fast.

Bought the “Wide Blade” attachment for some plane irons from a couple of planes I plan to restore in the future.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1921 days

#3 posted 12-27-2011 10:39 PM

I’m told those are quite inherently dangerous.

You REALLY ought to send yours to me.

Yeah. I’m THAT much of a buddy ;-)

-- -- Neil

#4 posted 12-27-2011 11:10 PM

Wide blade attachment?
Isn’t that just a honing guide? It’s $89.00 0n their site which seems outrageous to me.
Flattening the chisels and plane irons was a snap, I mean it was even fun. I’m 61 and not into manual labor. HA HA !
NBeener you ain’t right! Okay neiher am I so we would get along just fine. LOL!

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#5 posted 12-27-2011 11:24 PM

Mike—Amazon has them for $54.95. It is more than just a honing guide … it has a table/plate which attaches to the back of the 3000, a guide that holds the blade, and a bevel setter.

I have used the table on mine to put a mirror polish on the sole of one of my jack planes.

—Gerry

#6 posted 12-28-2011 01:18 AM

Gerry, I’ll check that out for sure then.
I appreciate your response.

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

#7 posted 12-28-2011 01:26 AM

Sharpening was always one of those things that seem to allude me until I got one of these. Best 200 bucks I ever spent. The refill sanding packs can be a little expensive so I tend to purchase large packs of sanding discs, punch a hole in the center and trim around the edges. For higher grits, check with auto body repair sites. They carry the high grits for refinishing.

Congrats on the new sharpener,

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View Viking's profile

Viking

857 posts in 1942 days

#8 posted 12-28-2011 01:43 AM

David;

We found that you can get reasonably good prices on Amazon for all the accessories and supplies for the Worksharp 3000.

Good Luck!

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

#9 posted 12-28-2011 01:48 AM

Thanks David, David, and all.

I will follow yall’s advice.

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

856 posts in 2001 days

#10 posted 12-28-2011 02:04 AM

I bought the wide blade attachment for mine and I seldom use it. All of my plane irons are 2” or less so they fit nicely in the “chisel” slot. The only time I use the table is when I need to sharpen a plane iron with a camber.

My honing guide that can with the wide blade attachment was junk. It only rested on three points and I remember that one of the rollers got a flat spot. I can’t remember now. I just seen recently in a magazine, SHopnotes?, where a guy made a table for his. I’ll see if I can find it…

I did get the knife sharpening attachment for mine. Love that thing.

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

#11 posted 12-28-2011 02:09 AM

Ah yes the knife sharpener; my wife says I have to buy that 1st so her kitchen knives can be bought back to life.

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

856 posts in 2001 days

#12 posted 12-28-2011 02:15 AM

Woodsmith 197

The article has a drawing and some detail. The one thing that I saw was I wondered how you were to adjust the table so that it’s in the same plane as the sandpaper.

c

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#13 posted 12-28-2011 02:19 AM

Before you buy the wide blade attachment, watch this coming weekend’s episode of Blue Collar Woodworking (my show). It’s all about tricking out a worksharp 3000 including making your own wide blade attachment and other accesories!

View StuUSA's profile

StuUSA

#14 posted 12-28-2011 02:38 AM

Woodmaker – thanks for your great review! My new WS3000 is arriving tomorrow, and your enthusiasm gives me some reassurance that I spent my money wisely.

Hey StumpyNubs – I’m really looking forward to seeing what you got going this Saturday! Maybe a “Troll” can learn something from a “Yooper”…who knows?

StuUSA (more specifically SW Michigan)

View ACP's profile

ACP

28 posts in 1958 days

#15 posted 12-28-2011 02:47 AM

Chunky, I think as long as your bevel angle is consistent your ok. The 400, 1000, and the honing discs are pretty consistent thickness. I don’t have a dial indicator but I don’t adjust the height of mine when I switch paper and my blades are incredibly sharp. This is from the top or bottom. The wide blade attachment opens this tool up to so much more, but like said, it is finicky to lock in level. A PITA really. I am looking to get the DMT dics and would love to hear from anyone that has one on their durability and value to longetivity.