Grizzly G0457

Review by doncutlip posted 12-27-2011 02:58 AM 4082 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0457 Grizzly G0457 Grizzly G0457 Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this saw for over a year now and I really like it. I used it for everything until I got my table saw; for a time I thought I didn’t even need a table saw. In truth, if you have a router and a jointer then you can make do with just a bandsaw; but now that I have a table saw the BS sits quiet a lot.

I drove up to Muncy to get the thing, it was nice to touch and feel all of their extensive line of bandsaws. In the end I just got the biggest one that would fit in my small SUV. I also liked the look of the wheels and cabinet, overall it just seemed more robust than even the ‘extreme’ series 14 inchers – although I suspect they are probably about the same in performance. One thing I was not aware of, and it’s the main point of this review. While it’s a great saw and I love it, it uses 106 inch blades. Most (if not all) other 14 inch bandsaws use 105 inch blades. So far the only place I’ve found that has 106s is Grizzly, so I bought one of each. I used the 1/8 inch to make a few bandsaw boxes and I’m already getting tearout, but back to the saw.

The saw comes in two boxes and is easy to assemble. One box has the saw proper, motor, etc. while the other box has the base cabinet. I also got a ShopFox mobile base and by no means is it rock solid. You have to bolt the saw to the cabinet, and then you have to bolt on the motor and adjust the belt tension. At first, putting the motor on seems like it’s going to be hard, but I managed to do it by myself. Factory blade is pathetic, don’t even bother putting it on.

As with any bandsaw, there are quite a few adjustments to make. The table must be installed and squared to the blade. I got it pretty close, but BS cuts require cleanup on the jointer anyway so I haven’t fussed with it too much. Another adjustment that proved difficult is getting the mitre slot parallel to the blade. Even a 3/4 blade doesn’t give you much to reference from. Turns out I don’t use the mitre slot very often, but I know that some people do. I read a lot about blade drift, and if you just feed a piece in there free hand for sure it will flop to one side or the other. However, when I use the fence I get pretty straight cuts, even ripping boards. If you visit my projects and check out my work center, well, I built all of that using bandsaw, jointer, planer and router. Finally on the adjustments, the bearings on the underside of the table are a bit cumbersome, but that is probably true of most bandsaws.

The saw has a 2hp motor and I have it wired to 220V. Power has never been a problem, but in building up my shop the last year I’ve done only softwoods and plywood with it. I also made a few bandsaw boxes, also out of softwood, and the saw performed well. The picture shows the saw with the resaw fence installed; it’s good and tall but I don’t use it much in normal operation, typically I just use the much shorter fence.

In summary, I put a lot of wood through this saw in the last year, probably stretching what you can and should do with a bandsaw. To date, I have no complaints, except for the blad size, but perhaps if I look hard enough I can find some other 106 vendors out there. If you don’t mind that, then this is a great saw for the money.

View Retrowood's profile

Retrowood

#1 posted 12-27-2011 03:57 AM

Great review, Nice saw, I’ve kept this one on the radar for a while, wouldn’t mind picking one up myself someday. What are your feelings about dust collection or have you hooked it up? Check your local industrial supply for blades, They will make what you want and quality typically will be better.

Retrowood

-- Retrowood

View JohnnyB's profile

JohnnyB

#2 posted 12-27-2011 08:08 AM

Have you tried a 105 inch blade? The difference between 105 and 106 is only 1/2 inch of wheel adjustment, and the saw probably has more adjustment range than that. Thanks for the review.

-- JohnnyB - - Sometimes determination can substitute for skill.

#3 posted 12-27-2011 10:53 AM

Nice review I have a 14 inch grizzly as well and a big fan of it! Nice job.

#4 posted 12-27-2011 07:38 PM

@Retrowood: I have a Grizzly G0458Z 2hp dust collector with cannister, and it does a fine job. I think DC is essential with a bandsaw. @JohnnyB: The guy at Grizzly sold me 105 inch blades when I bought the saw, and I just coun’t get them on-but didn’t try cranking the adjuster, thanks.

View 2bigfeet's profile

2bigfeet

#5 posted 12-28-2011 04:05 AM

I bought the same saw last winter and I’m quite pleased with it as well. Was thinking of getting another bigger bandsaw for resawing only and use this one for scroll work only. I’m changing blades more often than I want to.

Highland woodworking has the Wood Slicer in 106”. You’ll never look back.

View Joeshop's profile

Joeshop

#6 posted 12-28-2011 04:17 AM

Don,

You could try Suffolk Machinery for Timber Wolf blades. I believe they make them to your size.

Lots of luck with your Grizzly BS

Joe

-- ~You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.~ - Joe

View John_G's profile

John_G

#7 posted 12-28-2011 10:53 PM

i agree with Joeshop, i just ordered my first Timber Wolf blade and there all custom sized….

-- John Gray

View marcbousquet's profile

marcbousquet

#8 posted 12-29-2011 12:19 AM

Go with Timber Wolf or woodslicer blades and skip the ones that come stock from grizzly. While I love their equipment, their bandsaw blades are junk.

#9 posted 12-29-2011 03:27 AM

Thanks all for the tip on Timber Wolf, I’ll check them out. While my bigger blades are hanging in OK, my 3/8 got dull (seeing tearout) after 3 bandsaw boxes, that had me thinking I’ll switch to a different vendor next time I get blades.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#10 posted 12-29-2011 03:49 PM

Hi Don, I have this same saw as well, its been in my shop for two years now and is on of my favorite power tools for sure. Your review is like looking into a porthole, I also use Timber wolf blades and highly recommend using 1/2 re saw blade only, for band sawing boxes I like Timber wolf 3/16” 3tps blades, but I also use Carters Stabilizer with any blade smaller than 1/4”. I reviewed the Carter Stabilizer in Lumber jocks review section as well and Carter web site has a great video if your interested and final just this year I purchase a re saw wood-slicer blade by Highland a bit price but a wonderful cutting blade. Good luck with your saw you’ve made a nice purchase for sure…BC