Sturdy lumber rack is easy to install

Review by Elizabeth posted 844 days ago 2134 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sturdy lumber rack is easy to install Sturdy lumber rack is easy to install Sturdy lumber rack is easy to install Click the pictures to enlarge them

Right now this Rockler product (item 39227) is on sale for $20, normally $30, and as I’ve had my eye on it for a little while I decided to go for it and ordered three sets shortly before Christmas. I installed and loaded up all three sets within two hours this morning and am very pleased at the quality of the product.

Each set includes two 24” tracks, six 14” shelf brackets and six screws. With my new magnetic studfinder (also reviewed recently) it was a piece of cake to locate the studs – I spent more time deciding which studs to mount these to than I did trying to find them. Once I had my placement decided, it was dead easy: Drill three 5/32 inch holes in the proper places for each track, screw into place, and click the brackets on. The third picture above shows the finished product in my shop; the other two pics are from the Rockler site.

The brackets went on very easily – no misaligned parts, no adjustments needed – and appear to be perfectly parallel to the floor. I had no concerns about wood shifting, even when I loaded a bunch of smaller pieces onto the rack at the bottom left of my arrangement. The website claims that these racks will hold up to 3000 pounds per shelf. They certainly didn’t seem to be going anywhere when I was working this morning.

The only problem I had with installation was my own fault. When putting the brackets into place on the tracks you need to tilt each bracket to about 55 degrees (if I remember correctly) to get them into the track holes. On the top right of my arrangement, I could not do this because one of my ducting pipes got in the way. Had I realised this in advance I could have put this bracket on before screwing everything to the wall, but it’s not a big deal and won’t be a problem for most users. But if you’ve got tight quarters for final assembly, keep this in mind.

Assuming I don’t go into the shop one day to find it has ripped from the wall, I am very pleased with this item, and it’d be hard to beat the price.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

I have that same rack. Very sturdy, and works great. Here is a picture of how mine’s setup:
Deciding the horizontal placement is difficult, as you said.

-- Allen, Colorado

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

I have 4 of those. :)
I had one, but just got in on the sale too for 3 more. $20 and free shipping can’t be beat. I’m extremely pleased with them.

Great review, thanks for taking the time to write it up. :)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View grumpy749's profile

grumpy749

Elizabeth, lumber rack slumber rack, what I like is your shop. Clean and tidy, organized. looks professionaly set up,..... beautiful.

-- Denis in Grande Prairie. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mistery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.....Pink !

View BobAtl's profile

BobAtl

I’ve got to second grumpy749’s comment, with emphasis on the duct work for your dust collection system. Very well designed to minimize turbulence at elbows and junctions (use of maximum radius elbows without 90 degree T’s, 45 degree elbows where possible, long runs of straight duct between branch junctions, etc.) and maximize performance of the entire system. IMPRESSIVE!!

-- Bob, Atlanta

Elizabeth

Thanks guys; I’m very pleased with the resulting system. It was designed with the help of the manager of my local Woodcraft and installed (with small modifications to the design) by myself and my husband over the course of several months this fall/winter. A lot of work, but well worth it!

View OnlyJustME's profile

OnlyJustME

Very nice looking shop. Do you do anything but clean and organize in the shop and can you come help me with mine? lol ;)
where did you get you pipes and fittings for your dust collection?

-- In the end, when your life flashes before your eyes, will you like what you see?

Elizabeth

Hah, it doesn’t look like I do anything else, does it! Actually for the last few months I’ve been on a medical restriction from most machines, and that will continue for a few more, so I’m spending the time organizing and planning for the future. It’s better than not being in there at all!

I got my pipes/fittings through Woodcraft, who ordered them from a company called Spiral Manufacturing. The manager of my woodcraft offers a free dust collection design service wherein you bring in your shop dimensions and machine types/locations, and he helps you design the pipe layout in Sketchup. Then that design is used to figure out how much ducting and which fittings are needed, and he places the order with the pipe company. There were a few hiccups in the process but overall it worked reasonably well and I’m pleased with the final product.

View curliejones's profile

curliejones

I ordered a pair of these and received them yesterday. I’m very happy with the quality and the Rockler price is the best. I tend to research things to death and thought I’d share some of my findings here. Two reasons for the research: First, I’m going to tear down my current shop and temporarily wall off my carport to house tools and harware. For that, I’ll want a single shelf running around the top at hands reach. The Rockler kit includes six brackets but only two standards, so I’ll need several more standards just to use the dozen Rockler brackets in this mode. and #2 – lots of the feedback on the Rockler site included comments re: wishing the standards were longer, so my study began. Rockler was kind enough to tell me where the kit is sourced and the part number for it. Knape & Vogt is a huge national hardware supplier and this kit consists of parts from their John Sterling line, a company they acquired a couple of years ago. So, if you want longer standards, they are available in the John Sterling “fast-mount” series, in both 4 and 6 ft lengths. If you want more brackets, or longer or shorter brackets, they are available, including a couple of different “supported brackets” that has a return brace coming back to the wall standard at an angle. These are rated at 300 lbs each rather than 200 lbs each of those w/o the brace. I ordered a couple pair of 20-in brackets that are supported and plan to use them for a wide bottom shelf with 4 ft standards. One feature in this product line – they offer hanging track or hanging brackets that, when used, do not require placement of the standard over a wall stud. This track and/or bracket simply screw into the top plate and you then hang the standard on it. Look up the John Sterling “fast mount” series you’ll see what’s going on. I shopped it hard and actually found a place with very good pricing that frequently offers a “free shipping” option of one sort or another. Their normal shipping is very reasonable, regardless. I’ll divulge the where at a later time, once the order is received and I’m happy with their service. I just ordered yesterday and got tracking numbers overnight, so I’m expecting a good outcome. Here’s a couple of part numbers to help you – 4 ft standard = BK-0100-4 and 14 in bracket (like Rockler kit) = BK-0102-14. The Rockler kit on sale is a little cheaper than the best vendor I found for individual parts, but for flexibility, you’ll see the wide array of what’s availalbe and let your imagination run wild! More to come…...... once the order is received. Seasons greeting to y’all!

-- Like Guy Clark sez - "Sometimes I use my head, Sometimes I get a bigger hammer"

View OnlyJustME's profile

OnlyJustME

Thanks for the additional info Curlie. If i ever have wall space they will come in handy.