My experience buying and using the RIKON 10-345 bandsaw.

Review by Schwieb posted 12-27-2011 12:04 AM 6297 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My experience buying and using the RIKON 10-345 bandsaw. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have wanted for many years a larger capacity bandsaw to use primarily for resawing and cutting out turning blanks. I am a bargain hunter and looked for a couple of years on and off to find used one. I chased down a few leads but always found them to be under powered, 3 phase, or being in terrible shape and requiring more than I wanted to gamble on restoring them, so I saved up for a new one. I considered a Powermatic, Delta, Grizzley, Jet, Laguna, and RIKON. I live far enough out from any sort of bigger woodworking equipment supplier so side by side comparisons were not likely, so I relied a lot on the reviews posted for these machines. There were mixed reviews for every machine.

Then I did a crazy thing. I wrote the customer service/ technical support departments through the contact us links on their websites. I received only one response to my query, ” Why should I buy a (insert name) bandsaw? It was from Rod Burrow of RIKON tools. His quick response was an eye opener for me. Turned out that Highland Hardware in Atlanta had this saw on sale for $400 off for a few more days. The folks at Highland were wonderful to work with. We did the deal, set up the shipping and a few days later I had my saw. There were a few anxious minutes when I saw these 2 very obvious forklift tine punctures in the shipping crate, but the saw was undamaged.

I was so excited to get it into the shop, assembled, and set up, I spent the rest of the evening doing that. Getting a new tool is so much fun, like being a little kid at Christmas. Rod at RIKON offered his personal phone number if I ran into any problems. I liked the look, fit and finish of the saw. It went together easily and while it is a very simple design, doing the adjustments is fairly easy. The factory blade isn’t much but I had also purchased from Highland a couple of additional blades. I fired it up and was in love: Little vibration, ample power, quiet, very balanced and smooth running. The dust collecting method worked well. I loved the quick tension release for the blade.

My only issue with the saw was the fence and resaw bar. The fence was a little narrow and light duty for the size of the saw and seemed useless to me for resawing bigger materials. It also did not slide smoothly. I contacted Rod and he sent me a replacement front rail and that took care of that problem. He also suggested a design for a resaw fence I could make for larger materials.

Thus far I am very happy with this purchase and give a real thumbs up to Highland Hardware and RIKON for their service and support. For the price I got a new machine with ample power for substantially less than the competition’s price. I don’t have a production shop, I’m a hobbyist, so this one works for me.

As an addendum to this review: After having such a positive experience I was puzzled by having follow-up emails apparently ignored. A call to RIKON yesterday cleared up the mystery: Email filters. I had sent enough emails that their spam filters blocked my emails. I spoke to Rod personally and he cleared up a couple of issues and is sending me a couple of parts. Barring the the email problem, Rikon has been very good to work with and I love my saw even more.

-- Dr. Ken, Florida - Durch harte arbeit werden Träume wahr.

View Schwieb's profile

Schwieb

View sedcokid's profile

sedcokid

#1 posted 12-27-2011 12:48 AM

Doc.
I have the Rikon 14” and love it. It does e everything I want as far as service I had one minor issue and Rikon stood behind it 100%. I am certain that you will love you new toy…. Enjoy!!

-- Chuck Emery, Michigan,

View Sodabowski's profile

Sodabowski

2039 posts in 1518 days

#2 posted 12-27-2011 02:15 AM

That’s one winning company. Thumbs up to Rod for taking your request seriously.

By the way if you want to do resaw, check out the “Little Ripper” over on Youtube, it has been a HUGE eye opener for me as to why I always messed up when lumbering boxwood with my bandsaw, whatever the fencing method I tried.

Every issue is related to lateral pressure, nothing less, nothing more! Any freaking fence will require a lot of adjustment to get the right drift angle, and you still have to look out for your feed rate and anyway spend time setting up. With the little ripper, no more of that! Well, check it out and I’m sure you will have exactly what you always dreamt about. Or better yet, build a similar one.

The main thing is that it has to run on the OUTSIDE of the blade and keep the log perfectly secured. After that, misa dita est.

Thanks for the review and enjoy your new toy :)

-- Holy scrap Barkman!

View doncutlip's profile

doncutlip

#3 posted 12-27-2011 02:20 AM

Thanks for the review, I’ve heard good things about Rikon.

-- Don, Royersford, PA

#4 posted 12-27-2011 02:26 AM

Congrats on your new toy !
Nice review on the customer service and the saw looks pretty cool as well.
I thought it would have more resaw capacity being an 18 inch unit though.

View bugz's profile

bugz

#5 posted 12-27-2011 06:02 AM

A new good tool is great. I also have the 14” Rikon, I use the 3/8”, 4 tooth, sterling blade, from Hal Taylor. The combination is great. I moved the light to the front side, added a second dust collector port under table. I have been resawing 12” hard maple and walnut and with one pass thru planer I have a useable product. I hope to buy a second Rikon, maybe the 18” just for resaw, and use the other for finer sawing. They have a great product.My two cents, Bob

-- Bob, Lewistown, Montana. Kindness is the Language the blind can see and deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

View doordude's profile

doordude

#6 posted 12-27-2011 08:57 AM

Dr ken, i have the rikon 325-14 and i also love my band saw; good wood cutting with yours

View 559dustdesigns's profile

559dustdesigns

#7 posted 12-27-2011 11:21 AM

Nice review, Dr. Ken.
I will strongly consider a Rikon product for future a purchase.

-- Aaron - central California "If you haven't got the time to do it right, when will you find the time to do it over?"

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#8 posted 12-27-2011 05:13 PM

That was a great idea in checking out the potential brands. Too bad more companies don’t take customer service more seriously.

It is good of you to mention the great customer service you received from Highland.

Lee

View riooso's profile

riooso

#9 posted 12-31-2011 08:30 AM

I had some issues with the 10-345 Rikon that I purchased. Although it had drilling marks in the mam wheels they were not balanced. Easily taken care of with solid copper wire and epoxy but should not have to be done. There was also a problem with the motor pulley being loose causing a very strange vibration. You should go over every nut and bolt on the machine to assure that they are all tight. It now runs very smoothly but it did take some investigation to eliminate some vibrations.Very powerful machine and very much worth the price that I paid for it.
A joy to use specially with a Highlander blade.

Take Care,
Richard

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

#10 posted 02-12-2012 04:46 AM

yes I have the 10 345 and I like it use 1inch blades for resawing they work great I just wish it had ceramic guides when using 1/4 blades but has all kinds of power I built A heavy base out of Birch plywood 3 plys x 3/4 then put some casters on it then I drilled some holes through the plywood and put all thread rod for when I want it stationary very solid base I also built a large outfeed table which is mounted to my base I used neoprene casters so it would be easy to move around can push with 1 hand great saw for the money

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country

View worksalone's profile

worksalone

#11 posted 05-08-2012 10:58 PM

I also have the 325-14, I guess, I bought mine about 4 years ago when Rikon wasn’t so well known. I had researched all of the 14” bandsaws on the market at the time & it was the only one that came with the bearing guides above & below the table. Every other brand would have required buying the aftermarket Carter bearings & replacing what was there or installing them. Except for Laguna which was out of my price range. I have had no problems with it, it has performed as I expected, I expect yours will too, Dr. Ken, Mike, Wisconsin

-- Mike,Wisconsin,http://www.IFixPianos.com There are no mistakes in woodworking just opportunities to modify the design

View MagGeorge's profile

MagGeorge

#12 posted 07-05-2012 09:01 PM

Good saw plus good customer service equals one satisfied customer. Band saw machine reviews are available at www.bandsawreviews.com . I am sure this Rikon 10-345 is getting a good one.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#13 posted 07-05-2012 09:34 PM

this is a fantastic saw, great quality and the finish is indeed beautiful. working with Rikon and Rod is always a pleasant experience (they are local to me). glad you are enjoying your saw, i’ve had mine for some time now, and it still works smoothly like new every time I fire it up

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.