MLCS Jointer knife setter - easy cheezy

Review by Bertha posted 975 days ago 2944 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
MLCS Jointer knife setter - easy cheezy MLCS Jointer knife setter - easy cheezy No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I didn’t really want to spend $80 on this but I did it anyway.
List Price: $89.95
Price: $70.69

NOTE: The way the jigs are setup in the picture above is incorrect! The magnets register directly onto the cutter head; they never attach to the table surface!

The reviews were pretty bad, actually, but it works as advertised. It’s made of some heavy duty type plastic with really hard-tugging rare Earth magnets. The way it works on my PM54a:
1) you have to lower the infeed table to get access to the cutter head
2) you first register the tool on the cutter surface with the blades out. There are little articulating arms with magnets on the outside; a center post with magnet that advances with the thumbscrew
3) advance the center plunger until it touches the head surface and tighten the thumbscrew. I’m not sure that the graduated scale improves this tool and I have my doubts about the accuray (but in fairness, they did both register the same reading)
4) insert your knives and gibs and flank your blade with the magnet. The center post will touch your knife edge, bringing it to the precise level of the cutter head (established earlier)
5) these little magnets are STRONG and they’ll tug your gibs up. I used a popsicle stick to keep them down beneath the cutter edge while I tightened the gibs down.

So, all in all, it works. Would I buy it again? No way. Not that it’s a bad device, it’s just that I never need to adjust my cutters more proudly (where the graduated scale excels). I let the infeed table handle the depth of cut. I subtracted a point for the plastic housing. That’s all I got, guys and girls.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

Thanks for the review Al.

It’s quite detailed. I am getting to the point where I will need to change my knives.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

I guess I lucked out with my old Delta Rockwell 6” jointer. The slots in its head were all perfectly machined so all I have to do is bottom the knives in the slots and then adjust the outfeed table to the proper level with the blades : )
Of course , the knives all need to be the same exact height after sharpening for this to work. It pays to have a machinist friend to sharpen them : )
Too bad you can’t return them , Bertha.
Did the ad say that they were made from plastic ?

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Good review..now i know to skip this one.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

what is a good way to do this then?

-- Ben L

AA , Go to GarageWoodWorks.com and see Brians how-to on setting jointer knives : )
scroll down to video number 10

View Sodabowski's profile

Sodabowski

2002 posts in 1464 days

I’d go with a shop-made solution instead… Thanks for the review Al, another item not to spend money on.

-- Holy scrap Barkman!

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

6937 posts in 1935 days

hey al, i did the same thing with a sheet of glass, with 2 earth magnets on it, it does the same thing, raises the blades to the right high…tighten the set screws and wella…saved me 70 bucks…grizz

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View mafe's profile

mafe

Thank you for a fine review Al.
I have been looking at these.
Best thoughs my friend,
Mads

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

^There you go, lol. That’s what I should have done. I think it’s designed to do something more than just set the knives. Possibly make them more proud of the cutterhead? I’m not entirely sure. Ah what the heck, it worked.