Magical little tool

Review by slickSqueegie posted 12-26-2011 07:14 AM 3490 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Magical little tool Magical little tool Magical little tool Click the pictures to enlarge them

On the plastic tube it came in it says ””If you’re not 100% satisfied, Ill buy it back.” Craig Jackson, Founder”
Thanks, but nope, Im keeping mine!
My wife bought this as a Christmas present for me. This is a tool I have heard great things about, but just couldn’t justify the high cost for such a simple little tool.
I am amazed at how well this thing cuts. And the cost is 100% justified!
Simply amazed!
10 Stars!

For those who do not know what this gem is, Its for wood turning. Making bowls, spindles, pens etc…. Its a roughing tool for use on a lathe. To remove bulk wood quickly and cleanly to get “close” to finish dimension.

#1 posted 12-26-2011 07:21 AM

thanks for the review. It would be helpful to know what kind of cut’s it makes and the cost.

#2 posted 12-26-2011 07:27 AM

Sorry, You’re right. I’m not writer.
This is the Mini Rougher. Its list price is 90 bucks. She bought it at Woodcraft.

#3 posted 12-26-2011 07:35 AM

Thanks but what does a rougher do? I’ve seen and own a lot of tools but a rougher is a new one on me.

#4 posted 12-26-2011 07:38 AM

Its for wood turning. Making bowls, spindles, pens etc…. Its a roughing tool for use on a lathe. to remove bulk wood quickly and cleanly to get “close” to finish dimension.

#5 posted 12-26-2011 07:55 AM

Thanks again I turn but only parts for furniture that’s why I couldn’t get what a rougher was.

View BernieMay's profile

BernieMay

#6 posted 12-26-2011 05:19 PM

Easy Wood Tools are a series of turning tools with carbide tips that can be rotated to get a new edge. No sharpening is required. they are fantastic. I use them almost exclusively over all of the other name brand turning tools I have acquired. Try one and you will buy others in the series.
-bernie

View woodtickgreg's profile

woodtickgreg

#7 posted 12-26-2011 05:36 PM

I tried the full size easy rougher and I was sold at first cut! the amount of material these things remove is just outstanding. you do not have to find a bevel edge like other tools, you just hold it flat on the tool rest and paralel with the floor and cut, straight in or side to side. face shield is a must as massive amounts of chips will be a flyin! I am now going to try my hand at making some of my own carbide insert tools, just cuz I like making stuff!

-- wood tick tools for turners by woodtickgreg @ woodbarter.com

View ed220's profile

ed220

#8 posted 12-26-2011 06:13 PM

I have one also and it’s as awesome as Slick says. Right on assessment.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#9 posted 12-26-2011 06:30 PM

$90 for a carbide cutter doesn’t sound all that bad. Sounds like the owner stands behind his stuff. I might have to pick one of these little guys up. Do they offer cutters beside square? I’m off googling; thanks!

#10 posted 12-26-2011 07:57 PM

Bertha, They do offer an assortment of these carbide cutters.
Easy Wood Tools Website

View marcbousquet's profile

marcbousquet

#11 posted 12-29-2011 12:16 AM

I have both regular turning tools and an easy rougher I use. I find the easy rougher is great when I’m doing acrylic pens and for roughing spindles out but when I’m doing wooden pens I find my gouge and skew work quicker and give me a better finish but that’s just my opinion. I think the easy tool is nice for those who cannot afford to buy a grinder or who don’t want to, also it is nice for those who have never turned before. It is alot less of a learning curve that riding bevels and such for those who have never worked with a lathe before.

View beamrider's profile

beamrider

#12 posted 12-29-2011 10:16 PM

These are neat tools, but far overpriced IMHO. Check out http://www.eddiecastelin.com/products_and_services for some examples of “homemade” ones, or you can just make one yourself for a fraction of the cost. Hope I’m not offending anyone here with this, and if that link is against the rules, I apologize in advance.

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with the owner of the above mentioned website, just a sassified customer.