Cosman Dovetail Saw a cut above

Review by Steve Rathke posted 12-25-2011 12:17 AM 3526 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cosman Dovetail Saw a cut above No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased a Rob Cosman dovetail saw at my local Woodcraft, I had the choice between an English import, Lee valley and the Cosman saws. The Lee valley was very lightweight and didn’t seem balanced. The English import was heavier than the Lee Valley and had the 2 tooth pattern ( a start zone is 20 tpi at tip followed by 15 tpi the remaining length) nice saw. The Cosman Saw was as heavy but very well balanced – A real cut above the other saws I had seen. The Cosman also has the 2 tooth pattern, it makes starting cleaner than drawing the saw back to establish the cut. I have cut dovetails with it since purchased it. Its nice, easy on the hand and arm and cuts beautifully. I recommend it for had cut joinery.

- Steve

http://www.robcosman.com/tools_dtsaw.php check it out.

View Steve Rathke's profile

Steve Rathke

View mpmitche's profile

mpmitche

#1 posted 12-25-2011 03:36 AM

How do you like the handle? The lack of a wooden handle detracted in my mind so I went with the Lie-Nielsen but I was curious about how the Cosman saw was to use.

-- Mike, Western New York

View Steve Rathke's profile

Steve Rathke

#2 posted 12-30-2011 07:37 PM

Its resin or so the package says. It feels similar to hardwood, it is solid and smooth – not plastic like. I like the shape as it is traditional and works well. Lie-Nielsen makes good saws, they are comparable in quality. I have looked at the Lie-Nielsen at one of their Tool Shows. The Cosman has a more featured or flexible saw that LN does not. Almost like LN is constrained by Stanley or whoever they are remaking and don’t go the extra distance to make them better.

View Scott in Montana's profile

Scott in Montana

#3 posted 01-08-2012 04:02 AM

I have a few dovetail saws including LN, Adria, and Rob Cosman’s. I consistently use Rob’s saw. It’s better balanced due to the Swanstone handle and the heavy brass back. It cuts faster than the others probably due to this weight. It starts very easily and cuts a nice smooth kerf.

I believe the blade blanks are Japanese in origin.

While it is priced at the top of the pack, its performance does justify the price for me.

Scott in Montana