jet mini lathe

Review by runngt posted 03-05-2008 06:24 PM 4004 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
jet mini lathe No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This was my first lathe since middle school shop class. Back then I made a lamp for my mother that made it all the way to state finals. I was excited to get this in my shop and start turning on it and after several months it has performed flawlessly!! I have added the bed extension but not used the tool since adding it. The bed is very solid and the extension was easy to install and level.

This model has the spindle lock and indexing head and operates at 500 – 3900 rpm. I think it is a 1/2hp which has been able to spin anything I have put on it so far. The belt pulley change is a snap as it has a lever to release the motor tension on the bottom, push up the motor move the belt, push down the motor and re-tension the lever, easy as that. This model also has a speed selector knob located within easy reach for adjustments on the fly (speed will vary dependat upon belt and pulley location) and a toggle switch for easy on off, although I would have liked to see a “lock out” power switch this one does the job.

Future projects are some table legs (that is the reason for the bed extension) so I will have to update on how turning a 34” piece of lumber on it went. So far though with the pens and one bowl I have turned this has been a joy to work on.

I believe this lathe lists for $329 and the bed extension for $59 which is worth every penny!

-- It seem's I just make scrap wood and saw dust most of the time !

View runngt's profile

runngt

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 03-05-2008 06:34 PM

Nice review. I have an old small one that has worked great for me.

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#2 posted 03-05-2008 07:44 PM

Thanks for the review, I have been looking at these lately. You just confirmed my purchase.

-- --Chuck

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#3 posted 03-05-2008 08:29 PM

same as grovemadman I’ve been looking into a lathe and this is the one that i was thinking about. now I’m sold on it.

View mjlauro's profile

mjlauro

#4 posted 03-06-2008 03:56 AM

Yeah this is my first lathe and I love it. I really do want a floor standing monster that will turn 40” between centers, but maybe I’ll look into the bed extension. I will say one negative for me, sometimes it will bog down with a heavy piece of wood chucked on it(recent walnut bowls were almost too much for her)

View jeffthewoodwacker's profile

jeffthewoodwacker

#5 posted 03-07-2008 12:43 AM

I built a stand for my Jet Mini lathe and put 100 pounds of sand on the frame of the stand—it is rock solid now.

-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

View Miket's profile

Miket

#6 posted 03-07-2008 02:05 AM

I’ll have to keep that in mind.

-- It's better to have people think you're stupid rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#7 posted 03-08-2008 01:26 AM

I have the model previous to this without the indexing head. Got it used from a classroom environment; It works like a charm. I think the Jet Mini’s make a great first lathe.

#8 posted 03-29-2008 02:55 PM

Thanks for the review. After seeing the pens and other turnings being posted here I really would like to add a lathe to my tool set. This review has been helpful.

Thanks.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#9 posted 03-29-2008 03:18 PM

I have this lathe, and I heartily endorse the five star rating. It has been great, although occasionally frustrating. But that is a “me” thing—lack of technique.

View StraightEdge's profile

StraightEdge

#10 posted 04-27-2008 03:16 PM

The more I read/hear about this lathe, the more I am convinced it is the one for me.

Carlyle

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 2079 days

#12 posted 05-12-2009 02:46 AM

wow thats a nice lathe im probably going to get a lathe this weekend but im really looking at the jet or the grizzly

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#13 posted 05-12-2009 03:35 AM