A good ready-made router table

Review by dadefreese posted 980 days ago 4992 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A good ready-made router table No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is pretty much the review I added to Lowes, which is where I bought this table:

This table gets it right. The router mounting plate has many configurations for a variety of router brands and it features a large enough opening for biggest raised panel bits. The split fence is very nice as well with a t-track located above the split MDF auxiliary fences. The fence has a somewhat flimsy vacuum port and the back of the table also has a separate orifice for a dust collection hose to attach to your mounted router.

One significant complaint that I read about before buying this table was the plate leveling system which used the same four screws to both level and tighten the plate to the table; that arrangement would cause the MDF of the tabletop to eventually wear out. I went to the store to check this out and I saw that Bosch reworked that system. The new system has four screws for leveling the plate first, then four separate screws used to tighten the plate to the table top. When I mounted the plate, I noticed that it had the slightest warp, but not enough of a concern for me.

The only other minor quality quibble I have is that the miter track is ever-so-slightly warped. I suppose one could use an after-market miter slot to eliminate that potential problem.

The feather boards, chip guard and starter pin are nice features. The fence mounted feather board and chip guard are mounted using toilet bolts and O-ring spacers with alignment pins to keep the parts oriented. I don’t particularly like those spacers since they aren’t attached to anything and can get lost easily, but that’s another very minor gripe. It also has a small screw in ‘starter pin’ for freehand routing. There is a plastic bit guard that is used in conjunction with that starter pin.

In all, it’s got a lot of the things one would want from a table and it comes at a good price…when compared to the BenchDog or other more complex set-ups.

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

I have this table. And I agree with the review. Although the dust collection port seems flimsy, it works well. It does well with dust collection… a function of a totally enclosed cabinet. The power outlet is a bit tedious to use, but it is nice to plug in shop vac to run simultaneously with router.

I can’t really fault it given the price. Very portable, too.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1946 days

+1 for this table. I bought the table and the Bosch 1617EVS router kit at the same time, and have enjoyed using both of them.

Router table really adds another dimension of capablility in the workshop. I put mine on a mobile base which helps a lot with shop space efficiency.

View blockhead's profile

blockhead

1451 posts in 1942 days

Me three… This is a great little router table with pretty much everything you need. I did end up eventually needing a larger table and had to replace it. I was however, able to use the Bosch for a drill press table with just a couple of mods. Works just as well for that too. Nice review…

-- Brad, Oregon- The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

View DamnYankee's profile

DamnYankee

Me four. I’ve had one for about a year and the only issue I’ve had is the o rings for the feather boards as I am constantly dropping them as I put them on.

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards

View wseand's profile

wseand

Me 5, great mid grade table. Had mine for three years, used the heck out of it and its still holding its own.

-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy

View kcrandy's profile

kcrandy

285 posts in 2066 days

A thanks from me for the review and the comments. I’ve been looking for a router table I can afford and I think I’ve found it.

-- Caulk and paint are a poor carpenter's best friends

112016 posts in 2211 days

Thanks a lot for the review. Good to hear from you.

dadefreese

Update; I’ve had the table for about 2 months of light duty and I notice that the leveling screws used to keep the plate flat have sometimes slipped downward into their threading in the table top. That could probably be prevented by using some type of thread lock, but it was a bit of a surprise to see that the table had become uneven.

View roofner's profile

roofner

I needed a router table and didn’t have the time to build a table now. Lowes has this table on sale now for $161. Bought on the recommendation here. I put it together tonight. Give it a try tommorrow I have a new finger joint from rockler to tryout.

View JohnInHadley's profile

JohnInHadley

Any update on that table now that you’ve had it for a while?

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Although I plan on getting/making a much larger router table for my new shop this same table has served me well for a number of years. I think it’s a good value for someone who needs a router table but can’t afford a fancy one yet. Thanks for the review.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View History's profile

History

A few years ago I was looking for a good portable router table to replace an older light weight Craftsman table. I was looking at the Bosch, the Benchdog, and the Kreg. I decided to build my own based on the Kreg design useing a Freud fence, and a Woodpeckers aluminum plate and ringset. It turned out great in my opinion, it’s rock solid and has some weight to it to absorb vibration.

dadefreese

Hey again. Here is latest update on the Bosch table.

The leveling system was problematic even with the redesigned approach. To recapitulate, the first version of the Bosch table had four screws which served to both attach and level the router plate. That was a poor approach so if you see a version of this table, I would suggest looking for the newer version of the table.

The newer version has 8 screws; four to level the plate and four to affix the plate to the table. Those screws look similar, but they are different – the leveling screws have a Phillips head that makes it easier to adjust than the four mounting screws.

As to use, I found that the leveling screws would vibrate out of position. That was exceptionally disconcerting as I was shaping different pieces and seeing the cuts change over the course of a single board. I used thread lock to reduce/eliminate the play. I have since done long and large raised panels with a 3 1/2” horizontal bit and the leveling plate has stayed in place. I think the problem is eliminated.

The one little nit I have now is that the fence is mounted to the table with a toilet bolt. That has the effect of sometimes nicking the table top finish as it is inserted or removed. Again, it’s a minor quibble.

Beyond that, I’ve been pleased with the table. I didn’t have time or interest in building a table when I got it so it’s still the best solution for my particular situation.