Ridgid R4512 Table Saw Review

Review by TheRookieJer posted 12-22-2011 07:22 PM 18814 views 3 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid R4512 Table Saw Review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

3 Stars

-- Jeremy, Kingwood, Texas

View TheRookieJer's profile

TheRookieJer

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

#1 posted 12-22-2011 08:07 PM

Congrats on the new saw. Excellent job with the review. I’d bet with the blade spinning at full speed that runout wouldn’t have been a concern during cuts, but your improvement method is pretty straight forward and certainly doesn’t hurt anything. Glad to see you’ve upgraded the blade. If you ever get to the point where you think you might want a new fence, the Delta T2 is ~ $150 and is pretty well regarded….offset that with $75-$100 you might get for your stock fence, and it’s a fairly inexpensive upgrade.

Enjoy!

View gko's profile

gko

80 posts in 1989 days

#2 posted 12-22-2011 11:25 PM

Great review Jeremy. Most of what I like to know about before buying stuff. After reading it I might have gone to 3 stars because some of the problems are so important to a good ts. But its your call. Btw, when adjusting the fence either make sure its totally dead on or bowing out at the far end a thousandth or two. Had a few scary kick backs when I got my first ts and the fence had about 10 thousandths bow in. Did you adjust the trunnions to be aligned with the miter slots? Another real pain in the neck but should be the first adjustment before doing anything else. Again, thanks for the review.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu

View jim C's profile

jim C

#3 posted 12-23-2011 01:48 AM

That blade runout is due to the shoulder of the arbor not perfectly ground perpendicular to the shaft.
I becomes a real issue when using a set of Dado blades. They will cut oversize.
gko is right on when aligning the fence. Make sure it moves away from the blade at the back by .002/.005. Kickback is a terrible, dangerous thing.

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#4 posted 12-23-2011 06:20 AM

well done. much appreciated. I have been looking at this saw for the same reasons you mention. I can’t justify the big boy saws on my hobbyist budget. But we do need tools that cut true. This R4512 seems to be a good compromise. My friend, a serious 30 year woodworker, has one and has never complained about his.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View jeff's profile

jeff

#5 posted 12-23-2011 07:44 AM

nice review.i have this saw.its been accurate for several months now.a good choice for the hobbyist.jeff.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

15304 posts in 1933 days

#6 posted 12-23-2011 10:46 AM

Nice review.

View firehouse's profile

firehouse

#7 posted 12-23-2011 03:23 PM

I HAVE THE TS3650 RIDGID THE OLDER MODEL WITH CAST IRON WINGS WHAT A GREAT SAW YOU WILL LOVE IT. MERRYCHRISTMAS——- FIREHOUSE

-- duke 66 ocala fl.

Never looked back.

View Paul Stoops's profile

Paul Stoops

#9 posted 12-23-2011 07:51 PM

Good review. However, I have a question regarding the casters. I have the Model 4511 with the Herculift mobile base. It is designed with a cam lock mechanism that locks the casters down when you depress the lift pedal.

I have looked at the Model 4512 and it looks like it has a much simpler cam lift/ locking mechanism. I have read on the Ridgid forum that it is possible to install the pedal linkage on your saw backwards, such that it won’t adequately lift the saw or lock it in place. You might take a look at your installation. I think there is information about this on the Ridgid forum. I can’t believe they wouldn’t have a feature to lock the casters in the lifted position. This review seems to confirm this: http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2020

-- Paul, Auburn, WA

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

3684 posts in 1909 days

#10 posted 12-25-2011 05:49 AM

I am looking at this saw very seriously for a second shop at a vacation house. Thanks ever so much for the review. It is still top in the running, since the second shop won’t get as much use. At home I have…....an ancient, 20 year old Delta Contractors saw which has never…...meaning never…..needed alignment with the slots. It is still in perfect alignment as purchased. I have a Vega fence on it which has been great.

But now, I think this saw is probably my best bet for the vacation house….....

Thanks.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View hafassartist's profile

hafassartist

#11 posted 12-25-2011 01:12 PM

Same as firehouse and Jim C said.

View anothernomad's profile

anothernomad

#12 posted 12-26-2011 02:31 AM

I have the craftsman version of this saw. For me it is my first real ts. So far I love it. My complaint is the fence. I am always taking the fence off the saw, so I have to readjust when i put it back on. Something else that I ran into was trying to make a zero clearance throat plate to fit flush and stay down. It has a recess about 3/16 which is a pain. I am only a beginner woodworker so it may be my lack of skill. But I am to the point that i am just going to buy the throat plate. I am very happy with the saw though and would recommend it to anyone who is learning.

View JaceAlan's profile

JaceAlan

#13 posted 12-27-2011 02:11 AM

I agree with Paul about the Casters. I bought this saw a few weeks ago (and am very pleased with it). The casters lock in the up position for me which makes for very easy maneuvering. Hopefully he’s right and you just have it backwards. Very good review and I completely agree with your major points. Thanks for the review!

By the way, I made a flip-up out-feed table for mine and posted it here: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/57764

-- Jace, Tulsa,OK

View 6744's profile

6744

#14 posted 12-28-2011 07:50 PM

I just started to assemble my R4512 last night after bringing it home on Monday. I found, after struggling for an hour by trying to follow the instructions, that it was easier to mount the two axles in the base, and then mount the casters and tie bar. Much easier to handle and the casters go on easily after the axles are mounted.

View jrickard's profile

jrickard

#15 posted 12-29-2011 09:40 PM

Thanks for the review. I was looking at this saw for the last two weeks. I am a really really new at wood working and wanted to start a shop. I like how this saw is not super big. I am still debating on this table saw or a table top saw. I have the room for it. I am kind of going into this whole wood working blind I never grew up with it or spent time with it. If any of you guys would tell a new comer to get a saw would you guys say the table saw or table top saw. I plan on doing shelves and stuff around the house. Let me know what you guys think.