Great Starter Routing Table

Review by brtech posted 947 days ago 5735 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Starter Routing Table No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

If you need a decent quality routing table, a build it yourself option just isn’t right now, this is your choice. I’ve looked around, and this is the best value.

Easy transaction and fast delivery from Griz. Picked up a coupon that helped some.

It’s a heavy box, well packed. Typical Griz manual, with one exception, see below.

Basically, you assemble rails to the bottom of the table top, assemble the legs to those rails and add the braces to the middle of the legs, flip it over, tighten everything up, slide on the fence parts and screw together, drill out the plate to accomodate your router and drop it in.

As noted in prior reviews, its real T track all around, plus the miter track in the middle. There is an aluminum fence support that t bolts to the top and the fence rails, which are nice and tall, t bolt to the aluminum. A 2.5” dust port attaches to the aluminum fence support and a little plastic dohickey attaches to the fence rails. The dohicky doesn’t look to be of much use.

I had two problems with mine for which I subtracted a star. Assembling the legs upside down on the table top goes smoothly. Then the instructions say: turn over, square the legs and tighten. Square? This is an A-frame base, the only thing square is the rails on the bottom of the table. I don’t actually see how to “square” this up. I matched the angles of the legs as best I could, matched the diagonals of the legs and basically stepped back and eyeballed it. It seems plenty sturdy, but some more description of how to “square” the legs before tightening down would have been appreciated.

I have a Hitachi M12VC router. I followed directions in lining up the base on the bottom of the plate. What I didn’t notice is how one of the holes for the starter pin came really close to the mounting hole, and how close the mounting holes are to the rings. The problem here is that the router covers up all of this when you align it.

The bottom line is that there isn’t any way I can see to mount the Hitachi to this plate without breaking through the edge of the ring opening. The diameter of the hole pattern is just too small. I have an HF plate I got a while back when my plan was to make a table. It fits the opening in the Griz table, and its rings are smaller diameter, so I think I can drill that plate for the Hitachi. Haven’t tried it yet.

I have an older 1 HP Craftsman, and it was pretty easy to drill for. I have the following tip:

Line up the router plate on the template. Tape it down with masking tape so it doesn’t move, but the holes are open. Use a vix bit to line up the drill with the mounting holes in the router plate and at least start the holes that way. Perfect alignment!

Plate leveling was easy, and it seems flat.

I am very pleased with this table for the price. Yes, the manual could be improved, and I was not expecting a problem with the plate (it’s plastic, not aluminum). But if build just isn’t happening, I think this table deserves your consideration

View brtech's profile

brtech

View treaterryan's profile

treaterryan

Good honest review. Going to stop and pick one up from Grizzly on my way home tomorrow!

-- Ryan - Bethel Park, PA

View motownjg's profile

motownjg

BRTECH:

How’s the Grizzly Router Table holding up now? I made my own according to some plans I found, didn’t reinforce the underneath and left it hanging all summer, autumn & winter up to now. Guess what? It’s warped!!!!

My fault.

So I think I’d rather buy one now & your review intrigued me. Whaddya think after all this time? Have you upgraded it or is it still worthwhile?

Thanks a bunch!

-- John

View brtech's profile

brtech

Its still in my shop as my (only) router table. It’s still a great value in my opinion. I added a shelf on the bottom rails, which turns out to be a great place to store by sanders and some other small power tools.

Go for it!

View motownjg's profile

motownjg

I just ordered one on-line. Looking forward to it. Thanks again.

-- John