Nice accessory

Review by Tedstor posted 956 days ago 2087 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice accessory Nice accessory Nice accessory Click the pictures to enlarge them

Not a whole lot to say about a tool like this. I was looking for a device to hold stuff down on my work bench top. Amazon was selling this one for $10 shipped. I was a bit weary of ordering it since the stock photos made the screw threads look a bit too fine for my taste. However, as the included pic shows, the threads are actually fairly coarse. Nice.

Installation is very straight forward. I’m pretty sure the manufacturer intends a 3/8 bolt to be used to attach the clamp to the bench, but I had a 5/16-5” on-hand and it seems to work just fine. The pic shows how it is attached to the bench: self-explanatory. I used a wingnut for quicker install and removal. Since I use my dog holes as the conduit for the bolt, I use a large washer to facilitate a better fit and prevent damage to the nut and/or bench. I also added a lock nut so I won’t lose the bolt when the clamp is not in service. I could have just used wing-nut for this, but I’m too lazy/impatient to work the wingnut up 3” of thread every time I remove the clamp from the bench.
Alternately, two notches on either side of the clamp allow for it to be permanently attatched to the surface.
Bottom line is this clamp works as it should and I’m happy with the purchase. However, its not perfect.
Likes:
Price
Coarse screw threads
Dislikes:
Casting is less than stellar. A few minor imperfections were noticed (made in China).
NO mounting hardware is included. Of course, most of us already have a hardware store’s worth of nuts/bolts on-hand anyway.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

Looks like a beefy clamp , although the handle appears to be slightly bent in your picture.
Regarding the lack of hardware , what would be the ideal hardware to include to fit everyone’s needs ? Metric or SAE ? Bolts or Screws ?
Hmmm….and then , if the hardware broke during use , wouldn’t we all call it crap because it was made in China in the first place ? Obviously the manufacturer has no idea how we will end up using their clamps or what we will mount them to. : )
Happy Holidays , Ted !

112002 posts in 2182 days

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

Dusty,
The handle isn’t bent. Just poor photography on my part.

You make a good point about the hardware. But for whatever reason, Jorgensen includes mounting hardware with their version of this clamp. And since woodstock claims this product is a “must for any workbench”, it appears they have a pretty narrow idea of its applications. The ideal size would be whatever fits the clamp and whatever would accomodate a wide array of workbenches. A 3/8- 4” bolt, washer, wingnut would probably cover 90% of the woodworking/metalworking population.

LOL (on the photography)

Jorgensen ($10.56@ ACE) versus Made in China : )

View slickSqueegie's profile

slickSqueegie

I got mine from Harbor freight for 5 bucks.

-- Come check out more of my projects at http://www.mdwoodart.com

Hi slick , do you have a link to the HF clamp ? I wasn’t able to find it online. thanks