Frustrating... Great customer service!

Review by Davedust posted 2234 days ago 3357 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Frustrating... Great customer service! Frustrating... Great customer service! Frustrating... Great customer service! Click the pictures to enlarge them

OK, for starters I’m not much of an internet guy, Id much rather be in the shop. That said I am so disappointed with this saw that it has driven me to this. So, after getting the saw home and starting to put it together I noticed a metal bur along the cast iron extension wings, where it joins with the main saw body. It was about 1/32 – 1/64 high the entire length of both extension wings. Not much of a big deal, was able to take care of it, but I started to think humm…
After getting the saw up and running I built a bunch of cabinets/ counter tops for the garage turned shop. Everything was running great till it came to dadoes. The saw would fire up and cut great the first time, but turn it off and there was no restarting it. So I called the customer service and determined it was in the switch, and they sent one out no problem (took a week to get to CA). So I open the box and guess what a different switch, no lock out, no great big shut off switch… bummer, both were reasons to but it. I called the Technical Services and left a message (1/2 hr on hold) looking for an answer (maybe they are re-designing the old ones??). I’m going to try the new switch after I finish ranting. ... Just got a call back before I could finish this review. What great service! it was “an opps on our part and the replacement will be sent next day air”. They also threw in a low profile riving knife for the trouble. The tech guy assured me this switch problem was just a fluke and isn’t a chronic problem with their saws. I can understand that some stuff just happens. So I would give it 4 1/2 stars. and probably buy it again. It is such a relief to deal with a company with great customer service.

Update. 03/07/08
The saw cuts great, (as most in this price category should) Especially compared to my previous saw (Delta contractor). The three horse power motor just hums through 8/4 maple. The key features that set it apart from the other saws of similar pricing:
-Easy arbor lock, one finger and done.
-The riving knife multiple options including low profile (see above, available in thin and normal curf).
-anti-kickback device (or what ever its called) use with standard riving knife. Blade guard goes onto the riving knife as well -in the second slot, also a quick connect.
-easy off button. It also has a magnetic lock that you can remove and the saw wont start without it (I think what if my dad had a table saw when I was 8…)
- It has wheels! I was able to slide it off the pallet by myself (with a scrap sheet of 3/16 steel and some bracing to make a ramp) onto my garage floor, then pull the tilt adjust lever out, start cranking and your rolling.
The big key is ease of use for the safety stuff. the riving knifes are so easy its a no-brainer, even if you aren’t into the blade guard thing.

Now all that said… should I have gone and gotten the Saw Stop? Ill never know, but for a saw that my future kids will have the rest of their lives what another thousand bucks… Ohh boy big can of worms

Check back for more reviews… Jointer, Planer, Miter saw, router lift… the list goes on and on.

-- Im not rich, just single with no kids...

View Davedust's profile

Davedust

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

So how does the saw work?

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

customer service is almost as important as the equipment itself.

I had a real beef with Jet 2 years ago. I purchased a mortise machine and it came without the chisels. I called them to complain and they all but said, sir, if you want free chisels, why don’t you say so… they accused me of getting them and wanting more.

They refused to replace them. Thanks to my local woodcraft store that got me the chisels from Jet. his is the same folks who own Powermatic.

-- making sawdust....

I have never had any problems with the Powermatic folks. They make good solid equipment. They are not cheap but, I have found that, with tools, quality and price are related. I am glad to see you have put your saw to use. I had one of these on my Christmas list but Santa just didn’t come through.

This only reinforces my loyalty to the Powermatic line of tools. Thanks for the post.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

thanks for the post. its good to know that good tools like this also have good costumer service. that is a big part of buying tools since if there are any problems such as in motthunters case where something isn’t working right you want it too be fixed as soon as possible so you can start making sawdust.

by the way after you have used the saw for a while it would be nice if you could write a review so we could see how the saw works after all the problems were worked out.

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

I think that this might be the first somewhat “negative” Powermatic review I’ve seen. Haven’t dished out the cash for one yet. Looks awfully pretty though! Glad to see they recognized a problem and added the riving knife to hopefully keep you as a client. Pretty good gesture.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

I was about to start worrying that the moon would fall out of the sky. I plan on getting Powermatic/Jet tools ASAP and that would have been a BIG disappointment!

-- --Chuck

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Glad that things worked out for you. If I ever get enough space in my shop I’m going to add one of those Powermatic saws.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View jcees's profile

jcees

I’ve had nothing but good service from the Powermatic people. I own a #66 that was built back in the 1980s and the tech support people have been great in telling me what to look for, what to do and what I might want to replace on the saw. Great folks when you can get them on the phone.

always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

I have to say..wheres the review on the saw? I understand your frustration about the switch, but could you elaborate on the saw a little..

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248