Lie-Nielsen #62 low angle jack plane

Review by Don W posted 985 days ago 8909 views 0 times favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lie-Nielsen #62 low angle jack plane Lie-Nielsen #62 low angle jack plane Lie-Nielsen #62 low angle jack plane Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I first got this plane, I posted this comment on the “Hand Plane of your dreams” Thread.

Since then I’ve used the plane a few time. My thoughts toward this plane remain the same. Its a great plane right out of the box.

I have sharpened it once. The back of the iron was perfectly flat right from the get-go. All I had to do was sharpen. My expectation óf needing to flatten the iron was unfounded. The thick blade makes sharpening a breeze. I am good enough to sharpen the thicker blades free hand, and this is currently the thickest blade I own.

I decided to buy this plane new after loosing several bids on ebay. The prices for used Lie-Nielsen stuff goes so close to new cost its ridiculous. This also had a factor in my decision to buy the plane. I know if I decided to sell it for any reason, I’d get most of my money back. Now that I’ve used it, the thought of ever selling it is gone.

This is my first brand new plane. I’ve typically been a buy and restore vintage plane guy, but the vintage stanley #62s have a bad habit of breaking out at the mouth. I also have been looking at the Lie-Nielsens planes for a long time. They were always somewhat intriguing.

I didn’t think I’d like the knob and tote on this plane. The pictures seem to have a fake finish look to the wood. Once in front of me however, the finish looks great. Its more of a satin soft finish and it really doesn’t have the fake look i was anticipating.

Ive used this plane on one project so far. This project is native sawn oak with lots of knots and gnarly grain. I had problems with tear out using my typical bench planes and had to do a lot of work with scrappers. I received the #62 right in the middle of this project, and it performed very well. It didn’t totally eliminate the tear out in some spots, but it cut my scrapper work substantially. I was very happy with the performance.

The cost of this plane was a quit a bit for me to spend on a hobby tool, but it seems like it is well worth it. I’ve always tried to buy quality tools, and this certainly fits that description. ÍIfyou are serious about wood working, I highly recommend you buy one.

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

I had been waiting for this review. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post. It looks like it will serve you well, congrats on the new tool.

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

Don, you have a very good review here, a great tool..now we need to find a dozen orriginals in the wild so we have a “real” comparison..

Snork..
;-)

I can’t imagine an orriginal making this grade !

(start saving, I’m sure here are other recreations coming..I have a #10 from India that’s machined very well, but could use a better blade )

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

Thanks for the review, Don. What I think I’d like most about this plane is being able to use it without your knuckles scrapping against the back of the frog. Just look at all that open space above the iron!

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

saddletramp

Well Don, it is apparent to the trained observer that you really don’t like this plane at all but are just covering your humiliation at having bought a worthless tool with a glowing review. Shame on you Don for misleading all your buddies. Just print a retraction and then send the plane on to me for disposal and we will forget all about your disgraceful behavior. ROTFLMAO ;^)))

-- ♫♪♪♫♫ Saddletramp, saddletramp, I'm as free as the breeze and I ride where I please, saddletramp ♪♪♪♫♪ ...... Bob W....NW Michigan (Traverse City area)

saddletramp

BTW, good review. Now I know that I want one.

Don W

Bob, you’ve found me out. I’ve mailed it for your disposal. If it doesn’t arrive in a few days I’d suggest calling the post office. You know how they loose stuff. Oh, if you happen to see something similar in my future photos, I’ve kept a picture to photo shop it in. :-)

Merry Xmas!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas Don.

View PCM's profile

PCM

I enjoyed using this plane for at least the last 7 years. It was my first LN purchase. It has been a pleasure to use from day one.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile (online now)

Smitty_Cabinetshop

Congrats on a great buy, Don!

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive

View Joe's profile

Joe

185 posts in 2026 days

Yup, you got a keeper there. I have been trying to snag one on eBay myself. You are correct; they do go for almost new. I missed out last week on one on eBay. My phone dinged and I looked and eBay sent me a message of a new LN post. Yes, a grand #62 with I buy it now of 200 dollars. By the time I looked at the pictures and tried to hit the buy it now button and it already sold, geez sold in a matter of seconds. Oh well…
There is a LN #1 bench plane white bronze limited edition (LN 2002) with 54 bids going for 610 dollars.

-- Senior Chief

View Jon Spelbring's profile

Jon Spelbring

Thanks for the excellent review!

The LN #62 was my first “good” tool purchase. It’s my goto plane for lots of things. For flattening and dealing with crazy grain, I also picked up a toothed blade. I would have to say that it’s my most used, and second favorite plane (LN #4HAF in bronze in my favorite – love the look, feel, and performance).

With the stock 25 degree blade, a toothed one, and maybe a 35-40 degree blade, you’ve got a regular Swiss army plane.

-- To do is to be

Don W

Thanks Jon. I also have a veritas scraping plane that my wife bought me for xmas. She won’t let me have it untill xmas so I haven’t tried it yet. The reason I mention this is in all my research, it seemed the veritas scraper had slightly better reviews than the LN. The icing on the cake was this blog series. His idea on a toothed blade sounds interesting, and once I have a good grasp on the two planes, I’ll decide if I want to get a toothed blade for the veritas, the LN, or maybe try both.

View Bwa's profile

Bwa

Thanks for writing this. I had been thinking about the Stanley but your review convinced me to spend the extra bucks; and I just ordered this hand plane.

Don W

Bwa, you won’t be sorry. I love it.

View Bwa's profile

Bwa

Ok, today I got to use this plane (that this review inspired me to purchase)... It’s unbelievably good.