Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander

Review by David Grimes posted 951 days ago 4911 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

These have been reviewed a bit by others, but I just want to add a resounding “This is a great tool” to the heap.

Lumberjock YBNORMAL lives in the same town as I do, so when he told me his was great and gets lots of use I had to take the plunge. I found it still priced at $199 at the BORG.

I snagged a Husky support table at the same time ($35) so that I could mount this sander to it and have it a floor model from day one. Very sturdy when joined and perfect height for me.

I’ve already sanded the neck and body of the next guitar I have started making. Very fast and accurate. Dust collection is better than I expected, too.

I like how the front tilts down for bevel sanding. I will use this feature very soon to put comfort bevels on this same guitar body.

I have only had this a couple of weeks, but it was very simple to get assembled and was all I expected it to be given the recommendation and the previous reviews. I recommend this tool for anyone needing this type of sanding in their projects.

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1236 days

View jim C's profile

jim C

David
I have had mine for about 2 years now and I agree with everything you say. It works great on contours after band sawing.
I son’t use the belt attachment much as I have a large Delta Belt and Disk sander that really hogs off the material when needed.

View Don W's profile (online now)

Don W

i’ve had mine about 2 years as well. I like it.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View Ripthorn's profile

Ripthorn

I’ve had mine a few months and use it on lots of guitar-related items, especially headstocks and inside the horns. My only complaint is getting the star knob loose after using the belt attachment, but that is minor. I think I may whip up some taller sanding drums for doing the belly carves on bodies.

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

View basset's profile

basset

12 posts in 1997 days

It is indeed a convenient, well built tool. I’ve used mine on many projects with both the belt and spindles (all sizes). Whats nice is the change between the two is bast and easy.

-- Don aka Basset Hound, www.woebgonbassets.com

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

You sold me, Grimes. At first, I thought you bought it just because it matched your color scheme;) However, it sounds like a nice unit. I’ve been in the market for a while and I expected to pay quite a bit more. I can’t justify the free-standing JET but this one’s on price point. Thanks!

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

I like mine as well. The only issue to watch out for is the spindle knob. Make sure you can loosen it, lube it, and keep it relatively loose. If you hand-tighten it too much, you won’t be able to get it off without using some serious toolage, which will potentially damage the knob. DAMHIKT

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View Dabcan's profile

Dabcan

I love mine but sometimes have trouble with the paper riding up the spindle. I can usually fix it by using a different combination of the supplied washers, but it does slow the process down a bit.

-- http://www.craftcollective.wordpress.com

I have one for over tow years.
This is the tool which sees a lot of use in my shop.
Mine is connect to the dust collector

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

I have owned mine about 2 months and I like it. I have had no problems with the belt alignment. So far the knob on the spindle has come off pretty easily except when I forget it is a left hand thread and tighten it too much before turning it the correct direction. Good tool. Another thing that makes it nice is I have a 4×24 belt sander so they can share out of the belt supply.
Nice color also.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5367 posts in 1972 days

I really like mine too. It’s one of the few tools that I’ve paid full price for, but I have no regrets.

View blockhead's profile

blockhead

1450 posts in 1905 days

Yep, worth every penny. I too have problems with the knob being too hard to get off, but only with the belt. No problems at all when I use the drums.

-- Brad, Oregon- The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

Best power tool I’ve ever bought , for the money. No problems with the knobs yet for me : )

Here’s an excellent LJ project for people having trouble with their knobs.

You will enjoy the angled table. It is great for chamfering through tenons on tables and chairs. The belt sander is amust have for chair construction.

View Viking's profile

Viking

David;

I have had the Ridgid for almost two years and very pleased with it.

Dust collection, when in spindle mode, works well but, if you put the belt sander on you need some extra suction on the left side of the belt.

Use this machine several times a week especially to clean up rough band saw cuts.

Thanks for your review!