Super book filled with plans & tips!

Review by MsDebbieP posted 953 days ago 2343 views 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Super book filled with plans & tips! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This book review is from the December 2011 issue of our LumberJocks’ eMag
Fox Chapel Publishing is donating another book for a free draw! (See below for details)

How to Make Workbenches & Shop Storage Solutions
American Woodworker

We all know that better tools make it easier to create better projects – and the same goes for our work spaces. If they are organized, convenient, and help us with our woodworking tasks then we can place more attention onto the project.

This book, filled with information, plans, and photos, has projects for: workbenches, assembly tables, tool storage, material storage, and torsion boxes and they have been selected based on their ability to move, hang, stay firm, hold, and adjust. That pretty much covers everything.

There are big projects, such as the “Dream Workbench” and there are small ones such as the stool made from just 1/2 a sheet of plywood or the dovetailed toolbox that could easily become a family heirloom.

Big and small, this book as an abundance of projects as well as handy little ideas that can be adapted to any work space, such as the pull-out dividers.

Overall I give this book a “two thumbs up”.

WIN A FREE BOOK

One random draw winner will receive a copy of the book.
To enter your name in the draw, click here and answer the two easy questions.
Deadline: January 10, 2012

Another big thank-you to Fox Chapel Publishing for their continued donation of books for free draws here at LumberJocks.com.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

View Yeorwned's profile

Yeorwned

I understand that the community should be grateful for a publisher providing media to use as a promotional giveaway but this review is somewhat misleading. I purchased the book, seeing as how I am always looking for good ideas for shop storage but overall, there isn’t that much to this book. The title is basically a picture book, where there are very few tips and the content is very shallow.

Further research shows that the book is actually republished articles from various American Woodworker magazines, where the principal of an article is to compress the content as much as possible for a magazine format, which is not as suitable for a book.

I am just concerned that the site’s review integrity could be at a risk if we give all promotional items a five star review, not to say that whether Debbie got to actually read the title and does believe it is five star worthy, but it does seem questionable.

Ultimately, I returned this book, as the content doesn’t justify the price. If I created my own review, I’d give it three stars.

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

oh and I thought it had lots of great ideas in it …
that’s too bad that you didn’t find it helpful. I’m glad you were able to return it.

I guess it all depends where you are coming from, as a woodworker.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)