A good buy.

Review by Andy123 posted 12-15-2011 12:36 AM 1661 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A good buy. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this today, after I knew I was going to do a lot of sanding. I’ve been using the paper masks for a while and I hate them. I hate how the paper ones make you breath hot air and are really stuffy. I also hate how they never fit right.

Opening 3m Respirator was easy and it was easy to assemble. All you have to do is attach the filters. There is two head straps on the respirator. The top one starts off as one strap but splits into two and cradles your head comfortably. The bottom strap has a quick separator in the back for easy on and off of the whole system. A real plus!! Also, breathing through the mask it like you are breathing without a mask on. Not the stuffy feeling you get with paper masks.

I was harshly sanding some plywood on my drill press and was making some smoke. I could not smell it at all! I later went into the house for some lunch and I could smell the smoke on my cloths, but not until I took off the mask. I also painted a little tool box for my son today. I started painting without the mask, but as soon as I put it on the smell went away.

This would get a five star except, while I was sanding, a couple of drops of condensation from my breathing leaked out of the mask onto the wood. I fixed that by shaking out the mask every once in a while. I would give it 4.5 stars, but I can’t.

If you hate paper masks get one of these.

-- The mistakes I make in woodworking are not mistakes they just give my projects character- Me

View Andy123's profile

Andy123

View gko's profile

gko

80 posts in 1932 days

#1 posted 12-15-2011 10:22 AM

Yes, I’ve never found a paper mask that didn’t fog up my glasses or feel so humid while working. These are excellent. Not sure if this is the one with organic filter but if you are working with oil varnishes or especially lacquer, organic filters keep all of that stuff out. If its not you can buy the organic filters and it will fit these masks.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu

View Ripthorn's profile

Ripthorn

#2 posted 12-15-2011 04:57 PM

I would like to get one like this, but the last one I used (a few years ago) hung very heavy on my face. How is this one? Is it very heavy?

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

View Andy123's profile

Andy123

#3 posted 12-15-2011 06:08 PM

Ripthorn, I wore it for about four hours yesterday and I didn’t really realize it.

View superstretch's profile

superstretch

#4 posted 12-19-2011 04:04 PM

I use one of these exclusively now.. The only thing I’m unsure of is filter life..

-- Dan, Rochester, NY

View gko's profile

gko

80 posts in 1932 days

#5 posted 12-22-2011 11:29 PM

When you buy the organic filters they come with two sets of prefilters that filter out the larger dust size particles. Keeps the organic filters lasting a long time.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu