Nice Little Sander Keeps the Air Clean

Review by pintodeluxe posted 981 days ago 1923 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice Little Sander Keeps the Air Clean No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is one of only a handful of random orbit sanders that offers a pleated filter. The dust collection works great without a vacuum. The vacuum attachment fits the Woodcraft vacuum hose if so desired. The velcro works fine, and it takes an 8 hole disk. I use it with 80, 120, 150, and occasionally 220 grit. It is a lower powered unit than my Dewalt ROS, but also vibrates less. The variable speed is nice for easing the edges of small workpieces. The handle is the most comfortable I have tried. Nice long cord is supple and overall I really like the sander.
The reason for the 4 star rating is lack of power. With my Dewalt and 80 grit disks, the sanding progresses quickly. Sanding with 80 grit on the Bosch was much slower. That said, the ergonomics and dust collection are nice features that attracted me to this unit. In the end, I will keep my Dewalt for heavy sanding, and use the Bosch for finer grits. I do agree with a previous reviewer that this is more of a polisher than a heavy sander. However, if you are not expecting a belt sander and you simply want to sand well-machined stock then you will not be disappointed.

See Follow-up to review below…

View schuft's profile

schuft

Nice review, thanks.

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

I have the same one and I agree with your points. The power is a little lacking for heavier jobs. I can’t bring myself to spend the money on a Festool so for now I just suck it up..

Follow up to my review:
I have found that the seal between the sander and the dust canister doesn’t last long. Dust now escapes from the o-ring joint and renders the dust collection nearly useless. The o-ring wears as the canister is removed or installed, and will require regular replacement. So, I hooked up the shop vac with my Woodriver crush-proof hose. The stub on the Bosch sander really isn’t long enough to hold the vac hose. It falls off regularly. Also the lid to remove the dust is not very ergonomic. It has tiny tabs like a bad tupperwear lid. I’m not talking about the tupperwear you use, but the old one that is relegated to the back of you cupboard.

As a result, I have gone back to using my Dewalt 421, which is a real workhorse. Dust collection on the Dewalt is great with a shop vac and Woodriver hose.