Awesome BLADE for the $$

Review by Lance posted 12-09-2011 01:23 AM 4734 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Awesome BLADE for the $$ Awesome BLADE for the $$ Awesome BLADE for the $$ Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey guys, this is my first review for any woodworking tool, I’ve been in this hobby since April of this year. When it comes to being satisfied with any product I’m hard to please, I like quality for my dollar so this is a strict and honest review.

I have the Ridgid R4512 TS and I’ve been using the original blade since day one, never cleaned it, never sharpened it either, it’s been preforming the same since day one. I’ve used the original blade to build less than a dozen small projects over the last 8 months. The original blade wasn’t performing well so I was in the hunt for a Thin Kerf blade to help my TS motor out. I’m a huge fan of Freud products, they have excellent carbide cutters. I say “cutters” b/c I sell PDC drill bits for oil rigs and that’s the term we use for our carbide teeth. Anyways, they have a great product but can be pricey because of the engineering and R/D they put into them.

I installed the blade with the riving knife and made 3 cuts through 3/4” hard maple, let me just use the phrase my wife used, “feels like a babies butt” I mean to tell you this thing was ready for glue up, smoother than my jointer, no question!! I know people are saying.. “he hasn’t used the blade long enough to put a solid review together” folks, for $69 on amazon (now $79) this blade is the real deal if you’re looking for a thin kerf blade.

View ichbinpete's profile

ichbinpete

#1 posted 12-09-2011 01:31 AM

nice review. I picked up a Freud Glue Line rip blade a while back and was very impressed with its performance. Nothing like being ready for a glue-up right after the rip!

-- It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

View marcbousquet's profile

marcbousquet

#2 posted 12-09-2011 03:15 AM

I bought a combo blade after reading reviews and I love it. I now have a dado set, tk combo, and plywood blade for my TS. I’ve also bought the 12” blade for the sliding compound mitersaws and love it, the cost is well worth the finish.

View topherstrux's profile

topherstrux

#3 posted 12-09-2011 03:39 AM

told you, like butta

View jeff's profile

jeff

#4 posted 12-09-2011 03:49 AM

i have the same saw and this will help me with my next blade purchase.thanks for the review.
Jeff

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View Tango's profile

Tango

#5 posted 12-09-2011 05:27 AM

It will perform even better if you make yourself a ZCI for your tablesaw.!

Luis

#6 posted 12-09-2011 05:39 AM

Tango, I beat you to it! lol

View agallant's profile

agallant

#7 posted 12-09-2011 04:04 PM

I have always liked these blades. They do not last as long as my WWII does but if you can’t come up with $130 for a WWII than this is just as good but with a shorter life.

View VinnieP's profile

VinnieP

141 posts in 1987 days

#8 posted 12-09-2011 05:42 PM

What did you do for a riving knife to match the thinner kerf of the blade? I’ve been thinking about purchasing this blade as well, but don’t want to have to retract my riving knife when using it.

View Roco54's profile

Roco54

#9 posted 12-09-2011 06:37 PM

Hi Lance – Good review
I have the same question a VinnieP. The riving knife of my Bosch 4100-09 TS is 0.090in and I believe the t of the Freud P410T is 0.091in. The tool manual of my saw recomends minimum t to be 0.092in and I am not sure if this blade will work w/ the TS.
What is the thinkness of your tablesaw rieving knife?

-- Life is what we make of it

View Towtruck's profile

Towtruck

#10 posted 12-09-2011 11:24 PM

Bought a Freud Fusion P410T 10” x 40T x 5/8” Thin Kerf several months ago, best combination blade I’ve ever owned.

-- I cut it off 3 times and it's still too short!

#11 posted 12-10-2011 12:08 AM

My knife recommends a blade body of .060 – .086 but it has a nice chamfer so it’s able to slide nicely on and through the spliter. With the Fusion being .091 we’re talking about 5 thousands here and that’s why I’m still using it OEM. I haven’t had any problems with the cuts I’ve made so far. If I do, i’ll be the first one to tell everyone.

View canadianmajar's profile

canadianmajar

#12 posted 12-10-2011 03:33 AM

I bought a P410 (the full kerf version) for a cabinet project. 60 sheets of cabinet grade birch plywood sliced up and its still going strong. I’m really happy with this blade :)

-- J

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5482 posts in 2041 days

#13 posted 12-10-2011 04:40 PM

The Freud Fusion and very similar Infinity Super General are in a league of their own when it comes to low tearout and polished edges from a general purpose/combo blade. These two blades have been kicking butt since their introduction a couple of years ago, so Forrest has recently introduced their 48T WWII to compete better with their cutting strengths.

Since no good deed goes unpunished, there is a downside for every design advantage. The pointy tips from the steep 30° top bevel contribute to the very low tearout characteristics of these blades but will abrade more rapidly than those with a shallower top bevel. The tight side clearance and dual side grind create an impressive polished edge, but those same characteristics can cause more tendency to burn in thicker materials and materials more prone to burning…raising the blade can help a bit, as does keeping the blade clean, having the saw well aligned, keeping the feedrate up, and using stock that’s straight and flat. If you do primarily thick ripping, these blades might not be the best choice for that application.

#14 posted 12-11-2011 03:56 PM

After using any Freud Fusion , there is no turning back.
At any price, Freud Fusion blades are the best blades available, period.

View elroyy's profile

elroyy

#15 posted 12-15-2011 06:31 AM

I think I chimed in on one of your posts right after you got your saw. All my blades are Freuds and all but two have come at a discount on ebay or amazon. When I bought my bandsaw from craigslist, I ended up talking woodworking with the seller for about an hour and he didn’t like their thin kerf 40T because they threw off his fence measure tape so he gave me two of them!

I’ve got their 90 tooth blade that comes from the Orange store (found it discounted, too, I think $49) and it’s absolutely like glass in all woods. I’m getting ready to build the wood whisperer shaker table and can’t wait to use it for a project!

Congrats on finding the freud blades!

-- "Without lethality, it's just a parade."