Awesome saw

Review by funchuck posted 12-08-2011 05:35 PM 5537 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Awesome saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I first got this saw, my first impression was just how beautiful it was. It just looks so good! It’s also very big, but also well balanced. The handle is very comfortable and it cuts very well. I was worried about the thin saw plate, but after using it, I think it is a big advantage because it seems to cut much easier.

I also have 2 Veritas saws (the dovetail and x-cut carcass), a Pax saw (the rip panel saw) and a japanese pull saw from the home center (which is actually pretty good). In comparison, I think the LN saw cuts about the same as the Veritas saws… maybe a very slightly bit better. In terms of comfort, I think the LN saw and the Veritas are about the same.

It’s difficult not to give this saw 5 stars. I really can’t see anything bad about it, but I guess one thing is that since the back is brass, it can get bent out of shape, whereas the Veritas’ backs seem more durable. Price might also be a negative, but what you get for the price is a saw that is definitely an heirloom.

One thing I read somewhere is that it is supposedly easier to cut dovetails with a larger tenon saw. I tried this, but I think the dovetail saw was better at cutting dovetails. I felt like I had more control with the dovetail saw. Maybe I need more practice though?

-- Charles from California

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

View Moron's profile

Moron

#1 posted 12-10-2011 06:46 AM

odd shit to hear a review of such a fine tool……………none, not a single review

and not a “peep”

put that tool into the right hands

repeat

not a “peep” from the crowd

just wish they would change the handle.

Awkward wart growing on a knuckle I didnt ask for

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

#2 posted 12-10-2011 06:51 AM

Thanks for the review Charles.

View Newage Neanderthal's profile

Newage Neanderthal

190 posts in 2059 days

#3 posted 12-10-2011 03:42 PM

Not sure where you heard that is easier to cut dovetails with a large tenon saw but I agree a sort back saw is much easier for dovetails. Sawing vertically the deep back is good for maintaining balance, but once you start to angle that big thing over it gets hard to control. Thomas defiantly knows how to make a great saw, but personal preferences lead me to favoring the Veritas as well on the handle.

-- www.newageneanderthal.blogspot.com . @NANeanderthal on twitter

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

#4 posted 12-10-2011 07:27 PM

NANeanderthal: I am not sure where I heard of cutting dovetails with a tenon saw from, but I think it was in PWW. But yeah, those Veritas saws are definitely underappreciated. I use them more than any other saw, but you know what? When I am just hanging out in my shop (not woodworking), I usually pick up this LN saw and just look at it. It just feels like a work of art.

-- Charles from California

View Millo's profile

Millo

#5 posted 12-11-2011 02:15 AM

Gorgeous tool. Do you feel the extra weight helps in sawing? I prefer the handle of my Veritas x-cut carcass over my LN dovetail saw, but for some odd reason, the weight of my LN dovetail seems to make things easier on the rare occasions I get to cut wood. The LN dovetail is heavier than the Veritas carcass, which is a slightly larger saw. Thanks for the review.

View thiel's profile

thiel

#6 posted 12-12-2011 04:01 AM

I think the wisdom is that using a tenon saw for cutting dovetails will allow you to get the sides of the pins straighter, since the height of the saw will accentuate any deviation from 90 degrees.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View MrDan's profile

MrDan

#7 posted 12-12-2011 09:44 AM

Gorgeous saw. Thanks for the review.

View gargey's profile

gargey

#8 posted 12-27-2016 04:45 PM

I thought a tenon saw would be mostly superfluous, until I got one. Makes a big difference compared to trying to use a carcase of dovetail saw for cutting tenons.

View gargey's profile

gargey

#9 posted 12-27-2016 04:48 PM

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#10 posted 12-28-2016 01:13 AM

I have two Bad Axe saws, the 12” hybrid and the 10” dovetail. If my shop were to catch on fire they would be the two items I would grab before running out the door. They are a little on the expensive side but are semi-custom as you can order several different features, the most important of which is handle size.

The 10” dovetail saw has been a great help in my quest to learn how to cut dovetails. Learning how to cut on the line is more a matter of practice rather than saw size. I use the 12” hybrid for a lot of cuts rather than take up the time to do them on the table saw. With a bench hook these cuts can be very precise.

All this said, I still use my Ace Hardware 14’ back saw quite a lot. I don’t have to worry about running into a nail and in spite of the crappy plastic handle it gives a lot function for the money spent.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"