Awesome saw

Review by funchuck posted 987 days ago 4156 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Awesome saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I first got this saw, my first impression was just how beautiful it was. It just looks so good! It’s also very big, but also well balanced. The handle is very comfortable and it cuts very well. I was worried about the thin saw plate, but after using it, I think it is a big advantage because it seems to cut much easier.

I also have 2 Veritas saws (the dovetail and x-cut carcass), a Pax saw (the rip panel saw) and a japanese pull saw from the home center (which is actually pretty good). In comparison, I think the LN saw cuts about the same as the Veritas saws… maybe a very slightly bit better. In terms of comfort, I think the LN saw and the Veritas are about the same.

It’s difficult not to give this saw 5 stars. I really can’t see anything bad about it, but I guess one thing is that since the back is brass, it can get bent out of shape, whereas the Veritas’ backs seem more durable. Price might also be a negative, but what you get for the price is a saw that is definitely an heirloom.

One thing I read somewhere is that it is supposedly easier to cut dovetails with a larger tenon saw. I tried this, but I think the dovetail saw was better at cutting dovetails. I felt like I had more control with the dovetail saw. Maybe I need more practice though?

-- Charles from California

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

View Moron's profile

Moron

odd shit to hear a review of such a fine tool……………none, not a single review

and not a “peep”

put that tool into the right hands

repeat

not a “peep” from the crowd

just wish they would change the handle.

Awkward wart growing on a knuckle I didnt ask for

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

112010 posts in 2203 days

Thanks for the review Charles.

View Newage Neanderthal's profile

Newage Neanderthal

Not sure where you heard that is easier to cut dovetails with a large tenon saw but I agree a sort back saw is much easier for dovetails. Sawing vertically the deep back is good for maintaining balance, but once you start to angle that big thing over it gets hard to control. Thomas defiantly knows how to make a great saw, but personal preferences lead me to favoring the Veritas as well on the handle.

-- www.newageneanderthal.blogspot.com . @NANeanderthal on twitter

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

NANeanderthal: I am not sure where I heard of cutting dovetails with a tenon saw from, but I think it was in PWW. But yeah, those Veritas saws are definitely underappreciated. I use them more than any other saw, but you know what? When I am just hanging out in my shop (not woodworking), I usually pick up this LN saw and just look at it. It just feels like a work of art.

-- Charles from California

View Millo's profile

Millo

Gorgeous tool. Do you feel the extra weight helps in sawing? I prefer the handle of my Veritas x-cut carcass over my LN dovetail saw, but for some odd reason, the weight of my LN dovetail seems to make things easier on the rare occasions I get to cut wood. The LN dovetail is heavier than the Veritas carcass, which is a slightly larger saw. Thanks for the review.

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1918 days

I think the wisdom is that using a tenon saw for cutting dovetails will allow you to get the sides of the pins straighter, since the height of the saw will accentuate any deviation from 90 degrees.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View MrDan's profile

MrDan

199 posts in 1914 days

Gorgeous saw. Thanks for the review.