Grizzly H7653. The Best Tool Upgrade You'll Ever Make!

Review by BrownWaterDesigns posted 12-07-2011 10:25 PM 5128 views 4 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly H7653.  The Best Tool Upgrade You'll Ever Make! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up a Jet-JJCSX off Craigslist a few weeks ago and it was in great shape, except for the blades. They were completely destroyed and it looked as though the previous owner jointed a board full of wood screws. Anyway, after looking costs of the various blades and comparing HSS vs carbide vs how frequently they would have to be changed (which is not a pleasant undertaking) I started looking at the spiral cutter heads on the market and decided to go with the Grizzly for a number of reasons. First, this model comes with new bearings and a cast iron pulley and is completely “drop in” for my jointer. This would make installation much easier and I would not have to disassemble to old cutter head to remove the necessary parts in order to make another brand, such as the Byrd work with my jointer. Secondly, the spiral cutter head blades can be rotated when they get nicked or dull so essentially it’s like having four sets of blades. When I priced the Jet brand blades at my local woodcraft they were around 80 bucks a set. Multiply that times four and that easily exceeds what I paid for the Grizzly cutter head by 100 bucks. Third, I don’t have to worry about setting the blade height anymore. I tinkered around with the old cutter head while I waited for the Grizzly to come in and setting the blade height was more than frustrating, it was downright maddening. With the grizzly H7653, 5 cutters are included as well as a T-handle driver and a few T20 torx bits for changing out the cutters.

Installation was a breeze. I think it took less than thirty minutes to pull off the old cutter head and install the new Grizzly model and about another 30 minutes of re-aligning the tables and fence. So in about an hour’s time I was up and running, installation complete. I jointed some red oak, walnut, mahogany and purple heart to see how it would perform on different types of wood and all I can say is WOW!! There was no tear out, even when jointing against the grain (tried it just to see what would happen), left a smooth surface that needs little to no sanding, and it left a 90 degree edge so crisp and sharp that it could cut you if you ran your hand across it quickly. I also colored the wood with some chalk to see it the jointer left any of the wavy lines or ridges that are common with jointed boards and there were none.

100% Recommended! Here is a link to the product page. It is on sale right for 219.95.

-- Matt, Brown Water Designs

View BrownWaterDesigns's profile

BrownWaterDesigns

View Roco54's profile

Roco54

#1 posted 12-07-2011 11:08 PM

Greate review BrownWaterDesigns – thank you
I knew of the carbide spiral blade inserts and I thought it would be a nightmare to index them, untill I read an Roland Johson article in FWW magazine and as you said it is easy to install them. I definitely install spiral cuters on my new jointer/planer.

-- Life is what we make of it

View fito's profile

fito

#2 posted 12-08-2011 01:02 AM

Well, i installed the byrd cutterhead for my delta jt360 about 3 years ago and i would say is the best thing i ever done for my jointer, no more sharpening and no more blade setting. i also installed on my dewalt 735 planer about 2 years ago and the only thing i can say is greattt.

-- I Just Love Working With Wood.

View Roco54's profile

Roco54

#3 posted 12-08-2011 01:05 AM

Fito,
Does DeWalt has a replacement cuterhead or did you install a third party?

-- Life is what we make of it

View fito's profile

fito

#4 posted 12-08-2011 01:12 AM

hi Roco54, Byrd tool make it and Holbren sell it for about 400 bucks, it worth every penny, ist great!!!

-- I Just Love Working With Wood.

View jmos's profile

jmos

#5 posted 12-08-2011 01:46 AM

Matt,

Thanks for the review. I’ve got the same jointer and am hoping to upgrade next year. Leaning toward the Byrd, but your review has me thinking about Grizzly too.

-- John

#6 posted 12-08-2011 01:49 AM

Very nice review : )
Out of my price range right now . : (

View BrownWaterDesigns's profile

BrownWaterDesigns

#7 posted 12-08-2011 08:25 PM

jmos,

Whether you go with the Byrd, Grizzly or another brand you will not regret upgrading to a sprial cutter.

Matt

-- Matt, Brown Water Designs

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 2021 days

#8 posted 12-08-2011 08:46 PM

I’ve run both a spiral and a knife jointer and did not notice alot of difference in the finished product. The spiral is a bit quieter but the cut was very much the same quality. This was even the same on some Birds Eye Maple which was very figured. For me, the only big difference is the ease of replacment…but with a good knife jig it is not really that hard now a days to replace a set of knives.

I changed out my planer (20” grizzly) and I would not recommend doing this to the faint of heart. The jointers have the cutters fairly exposed and easier to get to….for the planer you have to disassemble almost the entire machine…it was time consuming and required the removal of pulleys and bearings. To be honest…I do not see a big improvement over the blades (other then the blades I replaced where getting dull). The only advantage I see so far is that I can turn the inserts a few times before replacing….where the blades require sharpening or replacing much sooner.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#9 posted 12-09-2011 05:44 PM

Matt, I just installed the Byrd on my Powermatic 54. It’s great. Last month I installed the Byrd shelix on my Grizzly 15” planer and it worked so good I decided to up grade my jointer. It took me about an hour and a half, from start to finish. I did have to pull the bearings and reinstall. My son has a diesel repair shop, so he has all of the gear pullers, but if you don’t have access to someplace to remove and reinstall the bearings, the way you went is the way to go.

I’m very happy with the operation and finish of the face jointed boards. Looking forward to not having to change any blades for awhile.

Grizzly is the place to buy these heads. They’re on sale right now until the end of the month. Go to the Holbren sight and find out which one you need then cross reference it to Grizzly.

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#10 posted 12-10-2011 08:09 AM

I want to play devils advocate for a minute and point out a couple of issues that you didn’t mention. I currently have the Powermatic 54a and I spoke with Wm and was told I could put the factory HH from Powermatic in my machine. although the cutter head is slightly different on the 54hh that the machine will accept the cutter head no problem and I was all set to go when I was told by the way you cant do rabbits on the jointer with the hh. Well this is a major issue as doing rabbits on the jointer is fast and easy and very accurate. Secondly when you use the HH the motor is under a heavier load causing more strain on the motor Per wood Magazine last month. and third the finish of the wood is not as smooth on a hh as it is on a standard high speed steel cutter knife. I said what you mean the old blades are smoother and he said yes all their studies show that the steel blades do a better job on cutting a board smooth than the HH I asked then why is the HH more money his answer was that the cutters stay sharp longer and are easy to fix nicks by rotating the nicked blade a quarter turn and that a set of blades should last a pro shop 5 years with regular rotation then discarding after the 4 turns . and that alignment was easier no knives to set. now my jointer is supposed to have auto set knives. I haven’t changed them but I do have the tormek to sharpen them and it wont cost me any where near the price of a HH so I just wanted to point out why I chose to stay with the steel knives and play devils advocate as their are pros and cons to the HH

Lance

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech