Craiglist Drum Sander find

Review by ichbinpete posted 990 days ago 6458 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craiglist Drum Sander find Craiglist Drum Sander find No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been on the lookout for a deal on a drum sander for quite some time. Of course a good deal to me has to be an amazing deal to the wife. Using Craiglist RSS feeds is about the best way to stay up on things and find a good deal, btw. Anyways, I found a listing for a Jet 16-32 drum sander listed for an amazing $300. I immediately called the number and asked what was wrong with it. When the seller said nothing and that it was only about 6 months old with about 1 hour of usage I asked how quick I could pick it up! For anyone interested, the 16-32 will fit in the back of a Honda Accord cpe with the stand taken off and the back seat down!

when I got it home I did a quick check of settings and the sand paper and everything seemed in good order. The first test was some scrap cedar I had from my recent fence project. This taught me a tough lesson as after the first couple runs, I got some burn on the wood. I opened the top up to investigate and found that the sand paper had come a little loose. I fixed the paper, but there were some slight burns on it. Turns out it still works pretty well but I have kind of avoided those areas just to make sure.

The second test involved sanding up a glue-up for the bottom of a walnut coffee table I am working on for my wife. The walnut is from a recent trip to Ohio we made as a family. The walnut started as rough sawn 4/4 that I needed to get down to ~.5”. After jointing and planing and gluing up, I was left with the slab seen in the second pic above. Using 80 grit paper, I ran the glue up through 1 half at a time. I have to say the sanding action is amazing. I was surprised that there seemed to be very few “scratches” in the wood, I was expecting more since it does not oscillate. I am not sure if I used it right, but I was able to sand down both sides and get rid of any glue that squeezed through. I then switched to 120grit paper (highest I have atm). I ran it through a few times and all was well until the “last” run. On my last run, I got the right side to close to the inside of the machine and it loosened the sand paper enough to cause some burn marks. A few adjustments later (and a permanent marker line for me to line my boards up with) and I got everything sanded through.

Overall, my excitement represents 5 stars for this drum sander. It does quite a good job and I was stoked to find such a great deal on it. My only worry is that the paper holder comes loose from time to time and may cause a little burning.

Great tool! Great Price! Woot!

-- It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

Congrats on a great tool pick up at an incredible price. Still baffling why he would let it go for such a price given the shape it is in. There have been several posts on LJ regarding loose paper issues with this machine. You might want to look them up for some guidance. Enjoy it!

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Cajun Box Sculptor

4975 posts in 1932 days

I have a Jet drum sander for over 2 years now and love it. It is a 22” model and I was not lucky enough to find it used…so i ended up buying a new one. Definitely a much used tool in my shop.
One suggestion…buy your sandpaper in rolls and get it much cheaper than the individually cut pieces.
I get mine in 50 yard rolls from www.industrialAbrasives.com

View SCOTSMAN's profile (online now)

SCOTSMAN

I am absolutely FURIOUS repeat FURIOUS. ALISTAIR WANT’S ,AND NEEDS, AND DESERVES ,and EARNED ONE SO BADLY. STILL WELL DONE LUCKY DEVIL. I never get deals like that well sometimes I do a worthwhile gloat.Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Paul Stoops's profile

Paul Stoops

What a steal! I have one of these tools and really love it—I sometimes wonder how I ever got along without one!
After installing a belt and running it for a few passes, you might check to see if the belt has loosened any. Sometimes the heat of friction from sanding will cause the belt to expand a little. Also, it is practically impossible to install the belt with no slack in it.
Enjoy this great tool!

-- Paul, Auburn, WA

ichbinpete

thanks for the heads up guys. I am just about finished with my first “fine” woodworking project (the walnut coffee table mentioned above.) I tell you what, the DS made cleaning up that glue up so easy….

View doninvegas's profile

doninvegas

I got a 22-44 off of CL a year ago for 500. Had to put another 2 into it to get it right. The first thing I learned was that IT’S A SANDER NOT A PLANER. I kept cranking on the handle after every pass. I still have a lot of problems changing paper and getting it tight.

-- "Courage is being scared to death -- but saddling up anyway."

View chrisstef's profile (online now)

chrisstef

wow .. i cant believe anyone hasnt said this .. you suck! Im jealous.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View rusty2010's profile

rusty2010

I was just etting read to post my find. You did better. I bought a 16-32 for $425. This one is 8-10 years old but was seldom used. I came with the extension tables. I’m also learning about the sandpaper and infeed speed. best of luck to you

-- check, recheck then check again

View Howie's profile

Howie

I have a 16/32 and love it. I paid considerably more than you did (new). You got a great score.
Make sure you have your d/c on,hit the sanding roller with a belt cleaner. Throw away the “tool” for installing the paper, it’s worthless and you’re on a roll. Congrats again.

-- Life is good.

ichbinpete

Looks like it’s the season for drum sanders!

Howie, if you throw away the tool for the paper, how do you load it? I’ll admit it isn’t easy, but i could never get my fat fingers in there!

View BilltheDiver's profile

BilltheDiver

Man you got a great deal there! I was looking for one for a year or so when a friend gave me a giveaway deal on an old Ryobi. It is the same configuration as the Jet. I also had some problems with the paper clamps and ran across a old thread here which told how to apply hook and loop material to the drum and where to buy the h&L sandpaper rolls. Solved my problem, and I love the tool. Combined with my 15” planer and a 6” jointer it makes quite a setup.

-- "Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

View Howie's profile

Howie

Even after the guy at Woodcraft showed me how to insert that tool I can never get it to work right(okay so maybe it’s operator failure) I use my fingers but I also bought a pair of “bent nose” pliers as suggested by a lady ww on here. Haven’t tried them yet.
I give it 4.99 stars…don’t care for the hood latch and the paper clip. It’s still a great machine and you got a great score.

-- Life is good.

View Rembo's profile

Rembo

also been working on this machine. very satisfied! but it is more suitable for small parts. wonder about JET DDS-225.

View dub560's profile

dub560

some men are lucky and you are one of them. good find my friend

-- Life is enjoyable especially when you borrow from people

View cbd23's profile

cbd23

From the photo it looks like you are using a shop vac for dust collection, is this the case? If so, does it work very well?