Plywood Blade cuts cleanly

Review by HamS posted 12-04-2011 12:23 AM 3648 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Plywood Blade cuts cleanly Plywood Blade cuts cleanly Plywood Blade cuts cleanly Click the pictures to enlarge them

I installed this blade and made a few test cuts on my saw before starting to cut the birch veneer plywood I am making my laundry cabinets from. I posted three photos: the first the before image of a cut made with my existing general purpose blade in the table saw. The good side was nice and clean but there was significant chipping and tearout of the down side. Picture two is the same piece cut with the new blade. There is a small amount of chipping, but it is much improved. The top side is near perfect. The first piece was luan plywood. The third picture is the after of a cut on 1/2 oak veneer plywood from the box store. The cut is not knife sharp, but it is nearly so. I made a cross cut of scrap of very splintery mahogany and the cut was better than sanded smooth. A cross cut in softwood was like wet sanded varnish.

All in all, this blade is going to produce the near perfect cuts I want in veneered plywood. I don’t think it is quite good enough to cross cut veneer plywood and leave the plywood edge exposed, but I don’t think anyone would want to do that.

One think to be careful of is to wear gloves when installing the blade. The carbide teeth are very sharp and can bite you quickly.

I did not give it 5 stars because of the slight splintering in the luan. On my scale it is pretty hard to get 5 stars.

I purchased the blade from Rockler and that experience DID earn five stars. The order shipped the same day, the charge was correct and I recieved timely notification via email of the shipping. However, I wonder what is says about shopping when doing exaclty what you ought to do makes a customer happy enough to say it is an outstanding experience

-- My mother named me Hamilton, I have been trying to earn my nickname ever since.

View HamS's profile

HamS

View Moron's profile

Moron

#1 posted 12-04-2011 03:39 AM

it is nearly impossible to get ZERO chipping on the down side of veneer, no matter what blade you use unless you have a) a scoring saw b) zero clearance plate c) take preventative measures ………

you can use masking tape………it helps

cut two pieces at the same time, one being the sacrificial lamb

Nice review, thanks for posting it

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#2 posted 12-04-2011 05:37 AM

I appreciate folks taking the time to reviews and project postings. I sure learn a lot. Thanks.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View Vicki's profile

Vicki

940 posts in 2030 days

#3 posted 12-04-2011 08:35 PM

Thanks for the excellent review.

-- Vicki on the Eastern Shore of MD

View ed220's profile

ed220

619 posts in 2079 days

#4 posted 12-05-2011 05:40 PM

View knotscott's profile (online now)

knotscott

5512 posts in 2061 days

#5 posted 12-05-2011 10:04 PM

Nice review. It is hard to get zero tearout underneath on some materials. Scoring it, using a ZCI, and/or applying some painters tape can help. The LU79 is the thin kerf version of the Freud LU80 (formerly the Freud Premier F80), which is an excellent Hi-ATB blade with a steep 40° top bevel. If all is well with the saw, the LU79 and LU80 are about as good as it gets in plywood/sheetgood cuts ….very comparable to the Forrest Duraline, CMT 210.080.10, Infinity 010-080, and Amana MB10-800.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#6 posted 12-06-2011 12:14 PM

There is always something new to learn.Thanks for the review.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View HamS's profile

HamS

#7 posted 01-01-2012 02:58 PM

I wish there was a way to change the rating of the review. After using this blade for several cutting sessions in the shop, the initial impression was more than justified. I would now give it five stars, as it is exactly the right tool once I learned to use it correctly. The only drawback in my initial impression was a SLIGHT amount of chipout. After some of the comments here I tried something and I am now consistently getting cleaner cross cuts from this blade than the factory edge on the plywood. The secret wasa sacrificial backer. I keep a sheet of luan handy now to go under all of the good ply and let it tear out the luan. I do not have to do this on rip cuts. Just to see how much of the improvement was due to the technique and not the blade, I put my original combination blade back in the saw and cut with a luan backer. This was not really a fair test because I had also had the combo blade sharpened in the meantime. The cut was better but there was still a small amount of tearout that would have been unacceptable. I cannot say whether the improvement was because of the sharpening or the technique With a supported cut and the new ply blade there is NO tear out of the veneer.

Now I have to fix the squareness of my panel cutting jig. You get one thing fixed and it shows you something else to attend to.