Great value in the ongoing Dust Wars saga...

Review by Greg3G posted 2340 days ago 3160 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great value in the ongoing Dust Wars saga... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this at the Baltimore Woodworking Show recently. I was in the market for one (cough, cough, wheeze ? ) and was looking at both the Delta and the Steel City. They had received the best reviews so I thought I would look at them first hand. The found that the both machines were fairly comparable in statics but the Steel City came at a better price; I picked it up for $320 including tax which was about $40 less than the Delta.

I do like the 1 micron bag that comes standard. I also like the fact that the lower bag is plastic which allows for less of a mess when empting.

It works very well on most of my machines; most problems have to do with the hose fittings and not the dust collector. I will probably start using the twist lock fittings when I begin setting up my runs.

I will probably put this in a semi-permanent position soon. I plan on rewiring for 220v as soon as I can get a circuit set up for it.

Set up was pretty straight forward; the instructions were well written and illustrated. The parts were clearly marked and all present. Assembly took about an hour but that was just me taking my time, I could have probably completed it in about 40 minutes.

I only have one complaint with this machine. The motor is mounted to the base with a hose connecting it the separator. This puts the power switch too low to the floor. Every time you want to turn it off or on, you have to bend over and that may be a problem for someone with back problems. This can be solved with a remote switch. I would prefer a post mounted power switch, or at least an option for one.

Pros
5yr warrantee
Price
CFM is with in market range
Noise level is acceptable
Ease of assembly
1 micron bag standard
Lower bag is plastic.

Cons
Power switch too low
Casters too small

Please note that the attached picture is not accurate to the set up for the machine….and I am too embarassed to show pictures of my shop right now (in the middle of insulating, wiring and drywalling.)

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Great review.

How is the upper bag held on? Is there a cloth or metal band?

You might want to get a “Long Ranger” remote control. That way you wouldn’t have to mess with the switch
and you would be able to turn it on from anywhere in the shop.

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

Hi Gary,

Sorry I forgot that part…the upper bag is held on by feeding a steel clamping strap through loops on the felt bag. The bottom bag is held in place with another steel clamping strap but there are clips to hold the lower bag in place while you put the clamp on tightly. Seems to work pretty well. I have yet to change the lower bag but it worked well when I put the first bag on.

As for the remote switch, Karson recommended a remote as well. I will probably go that route as soon as I get settled on the wiring. I think there are diffences in the 110 and the 220 remotes so I want to make sure I have everything set before I buy one.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Yes, you either have to buy the 110 or 220 volt version. I have had one for years and it works great.

Thanks for the info about the straps. My old DC has cloth straps which every once in a while come off
making on hell of a mess.

I ordered a couple of steel ones from Grizzly. I should have them tomorrow, so I will see how they work.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

Congratulations on your new DC system.

I installed Penn State Long Ranger Blast Gates in my ductworklast year,

so check mine out.

I’ve had the remote switch for years, but switched to the Long Ranger gates.

I can still use my remote, but whats nice with L R Gates you don’t have run, & close the open gates.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Good review. I’m thinking about upgrading my DC and will take a look as the Steel City machine.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View IowaWoodcrafter's profile

IowaWoodcrafter

I replaced my cloth lower bag with 6mil plastic bags. When I had the cloth bag on I filled it to overflowing whiling planing. The plastic bag allows me to monitor the contents much better. Now I only allow it to fill about 1/2 full before I empty it. We know some people who own horses that use sawdust for bedding so I’m able to get rid of mine that way, as long as it doesn’t contain any maple. Horses are allergic to maple wood.

-- Owen Johnson - aka IowaWoodcrafter

Owen Don’t give the horses Walnut. I don’t know about Maple but I had 2 horses come down with Lamatius (sp) after I put walnut shavings in their stalls.

Great looking DC Greg.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Great review Greg.

Lee

View PanamaJack's profile

PanamaJack

Good going Greg. Great review.

-- Carpe Lignum; Tornare Lignum (Seize the wood, to Turn the wood)

View mjlauro's profile

mjlauro

Thanks for the review, you may have made my decision slightly easier. But i still have to obsess over it for a couple of more weeks.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Great review..I have been considering the smaller version(1hp) but with the same features. As far as the switch is concearned, you could easily get a remote switch at Woodcraft, but then you have to keep track of the remote!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Huckleberry's profile

Huckleberry

Nice review. You just saved me from doing one on this same DC. I just ordered my new table saw and this same DC unit. I do like the fact that the lower bag is plastic and that the top bag is a 1 micron. Great job and thanks for putting this info out there for everyone.

-- Something that goes unnoticed will never be remembered.

View mark's profile

mark

I have this same dust collector myself, so far I have been very pleased with how it works. I have it positioned in the corner of my workshop and as Greg mentioned it can be difficult to reach the power switch. I am looking into either adding a remote RF switch for it or adding a switch to the outlet.

-Mark

-- Mark, Norfolk, VA

View dlux's profile

dlux

54 posts in 2037 days

#14 posted 2015 days ago

This just in,

SC is offering a $100 instant rebate on this until 4-30-2009 at most places driving the price down to $299.
Would you guys say that that is a good deal? I’m thinking of getting one myself at that price point through ToolKing so I won’t have to pay tax and only $10 shipping.