Review of the Grizzly G1023SL Cabinet Style Table Saw

Review by Mark A. DeCou posted 01-19-2008 06:54 PM 11516 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of the Grizzly G1023SL Cabinet Style Table Saw Review of the Grizzly G1023SL Cabinet Style Table Saw Review of the Grizzly G1023SL Cabinet Style Table Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

To put it bluntly, I love this Saw.

Not, “Love” in the same sense as the way I feel for my wife, or my kids, or my dog, but this Saw is great.

I was quite reluctant to buy it frankly. At the time, I had recently quit a job teaching woodworking where I was able to use a Powermatic Cabinet Saw that was about 20 years old, and I also loved that Saw.

When I decided to buy my own Table Saw after leaving that job, I had to decide what to get. I didn’t have any money, and still don’t, so the Powermatic was off my list.

I kept asking around about Grizzly tools, seeking advice from the internet, and finally just asked the folks at Grizzly to convince me that I should buy it. They sent me emails telling me the features, and some testimonials from folks.

So, I mustered up the nerve, got out the credit card, and made the purchase. I think about 6 years has passed now since I fell in “love” with this saw.

Out of the box, it was heavy. Ok, ok, in the box it was heavy. That is a good sign for a tool in my estimation. So, I couldn’t unload it, so I dissassembled as much as possible, and took it out of my truck. When I loaded it in the pickup, the shipping dock easily put it in with a forklift. I tied it down with straps, not sure why now, and headed home.

At home, I realized that as young as I was, 38 then, I couldn’t budge it off of the truck. So, I tore it apart and unloaded each piece and reassembled in the shop. I went through the calibration process, and the safety notes, ok, ok, I didn’t read any of the safety notes.

I then installed the blade guard, grabbed some wood, and turned it on. It hummed like a baby, and I slowly raised the blade up through the table, and stuck a board through it.

I was so impressed, that I stuck another board through, and then another, and then another, and then…...

I was out of wood before long, and had lots of kindling.

What I discovered on the first or second board, was that the blade guard was just plain dangerous, so I took it off, and have happily used the saw every day in my business since. I just love this saw, I guess I already said that.

The Nickle Test:
So, when a guy, or lady, is reading reviews, there is always the “Nickle Test”. Now that doesn’t mean much to a person from a country that doesn’t have “nickles”. This test is where a small coin is placed on it’s edge on the table top, and the saw is turned on. I did that test, and the nickle didn’t even vibrate. I tried a Dime, and it fell over, but that was because the edge of the dime is domed. So, I sanded a small flat spot on the edge of the dime with a belt sander, and it stood up also.

This is a great saw.

I have not used a modern made Powermatic, but I can tell you that this Grizzly is as good as the old Powermatic I have used. Really. Same power, same stability, and a color I like better and a really cooool looking Cast Plate with a Grizzly Bear on it. My son looks at the bear and says, “GRRRRR!” It is a great saw.

Here is a link to the current Grizzly website page for this saw: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Table-Saw-3-HP-Single-Phase-220V-Left-Tilt/G1023SL

I think at the time I bought it, mine was listed as $750.00. See, now they are $995.00. So, if you want to save money, buy it now, quick, before the “Dollar” deflates any more!!

thanks for reading along,
Mark DeCou
www.decoustudio.com

This writing, and the photos, are protected by copyright, M.A. DeCou 1-19-2008, all rights protected.)

Note: no money was given to me for this review. Although if you are from Grizzly, I would gladly accept some and use the donation toward buying a Grizzly Surface Planer with the carbide spiral head, (hint hint). I want one to match my Grizzly Jointer, which I will review in the near future. Another great machine.

-- Mark DeCou - American Contemporary Craft Artisan - www.decoustudio.com

View Mark A. DeCou's profile

Mark A. DeCou

1996 posts in 3090 days

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#1 posted 01-19-2008 07:20 PM

Grrrrrreat review!

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View douginaz's profile

douginaz

#2 posted 01-19-2008 08:02 PM

Great review Mark, I am with you on this one. I have used some nice saws in my day but could never afford “the gold” which I thought were the best. I helped a friend set up a saw stop which is a really nice saw in it’s own right but could not afford that either. I “settled” for the 1023 in 2003 and I am as happy today with it as I was when I first got it. I have mine on wheels and it will still perform the nickel trick. Some of the best money I have ever spent on a new tool. No regrets!
Later,
Doug in AZ.

-- If you need craft books - please visit our small business at http://www.wittywife.com

View dalec's profile

dalec

#3 posted 01-19-2008 08:18 PM

Nice review Mark. Thanks.

Dalec

View John's profile

John

#4 posted 01-19-2008 11:43 PM

Great review! My dream saw is the Grizzly G0605X. I love my Grizzly bandsaw- there’s no better bang for the buck than Grizzly that I’ve found.

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View IowaWoodcrafter's profile

IowaWoodcrafter

#5 posted 01-20-2008 01:24 AM

I purchased the G1023SLW, the one with the router table extension. If I had to do it over again I would have stuck with the model without the router table, or spent a little more and got the 7’ rails. Putting that aside I also love this saw. It has been a rock solid performer since I bought it a year ago. They certainly haven’t changed much since you bought yours. The only difference I can see is the handwheels are not solid on mine like they are on yours.

I also have a G1182ZHW 6” jointer. I really like the jointer but plan on upgrading to an 8” jointer with the spiral carbide bits. I will certainly buy other Grizzly products in the future.

-- Owen Johnson - aka IowaWoodcrafter

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

#6 posted 01-21-2008 06:23 PM

I purchased a G1023SLX ( 3hp/220v/7’ rails ) about 4 years ago and love it. I have never had the blade slow down on any cut.

The only problem I had with the saw on arrival had to do with the miter slots. The width varied from front to back. I sent the top back to Grizzly and had a replacement in 8 days at no cost. The replacement top was perfect. Make sure when purchasing a table saw that the miter slots are machined parallel and are machine the same width from front to back.

Recently, the 2 plastic screws that hold the on/off magnetic switch cover in place broke. Grizzly had the replacement screws in stock for $1.00 each.

DaveH

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#7 posted 01-21-2008 08:09 PM

Thanks for the review Mark. I like most of the Grizzly products I have. (don’t buy the cheap palm sander)

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#8 posted 02-27-2008 06:52 PM

I’ve had the Grizzly 1023 (right tilt, however) for a couple years. Love it. Couldn’t spend Powermatic money, but it has never limited me in my work as far as I can tell as a hobbyist. Much quieter than my former piece of junk. Wish they would supply the plug, however. Adjustments have been quick and str8 forward. Nice fence as well. The only wishes other than the plug, is that it would ahve been nice to have an integrated caster system, riving knife (now becoming the rage), and motor cover and dust hook up included as standard. 5 stars

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View Sawdustmaker's profile

Sawdustmaker

#9 posted 03-05-2008 05:33 PM

I have the same model although slightly newer version and I too love the saw. I really like your extention table you have on the side of the saw. How is it holding out? I have been in the market for a good design that withstands the test of time too.

-- Brian, Virginia Beach

View WoodNDust's profile

WoodNDust

#10 posted 08-22-2012 04:35 AM

Nice review Mark. I’m considering this saw but with the router table option.