Trend 60T Saw Blade / Trend Blade & Bit Cleaner- I LIKE IT!

Review by StumpyNubs posted 12-03-2011 01:19 AM 3428 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Trend 60T Saw Blade / Trend Blade & Bit Cleaner- I LIKE IT! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m an impulse buyer. Throw something on an end cap with a bright sign on it and it’s in my shopping cart faster that you can say “my wife is going to be cheesed off…” So I only had to walk past this deal at Woodcraft before I was ready to pull out my wallet.

It’s a 60 tooth, ATB fine finish blade by Trend. The regular price is $60, which is the usual range for a good quality blade. (If you want premium, you have to go over a hundred). But the sale was for this blade at $40, PLUS a free bottle of Trend Blade and Bit Cleaner, which I was going to buy anyway at $12. So I got $72 in value for $40, not quite half off, but it was good enough to hook me.

First off, I never complain about the packaging of a product. I buy the blade, not the package. But this time I can’t help myself. They glued the label to the front of the blade, put some more adhesive on the back and encased it in a plastic “clamshell”. I shouldn’t have to scrape adhesive goo off my new blade… I’m just sayin…

The blade is well machined, but not polished like some. The teeth are thick and well brazed, they’ll be good for a lot of sharpening. It passes all visual inspection.

It cuts very clean, eating it’s way through my walnut test piece like a fat guy through a stick of butter. Virtually no tear out, and a smooth finish across the end grain. What more can you ask for?

As for the cleaner- it’s great! I used it on a Freud blade with nearly brown teeth from cutting a lot of pine. Let it sit a couple minutes and you can wipe it clean with a paper towel! It dissolves sap and grime like magic.

I did a video review, including showing the blade in action for the latest episode of Blue Collar Woodworking. Watch it here if you like: Stumpynubs.com (Note, the review is at the 4:40 mark if you don’t want to watch the whole episode, but you should because the ending is great…)

View Dave's profile

View Pop's profile

Pop

#2 posted 12-03-2011 06:39 PM

Hi Stumpy,

I bet that’s why they were on sale. Trend got a boat load of these packages before they got to the Chinese to tell ‘em “STOP WITH THE GLUE ON THE BLADE.”

I’ve seen problems with Trend before. My store sold a entire pallet of Trend routers at the a woodworking show and found out after the fact that these routers were for sale in England (different voltage – different plug). Somebody in China got their wires crossed.

Pop

-- One who works with his hands is a laborer, his hands & head A craftsman, his hands, head & heart a artist

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#3 posted 12-04-2011 07:20 AM

i love the trend cleaner i have a 5 gallon drum of the stuff in the shop its what i use to derust and clean old nasty handplanes and it is kind to the japan I am glad you like it too I am reviewing it on the this old workshop site

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

#4 posted 12-04-2011 03:23 PM

I used to refinish tile flor when I was a teenager. The was stripper we used smelled exactly like the Trend cleaner, and had the same slippery feel. A gallon of it costs less than a little bottle of the Trend stuff. I wonder…

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#5 posted 12-05-2011 01:48 AM

you would have to have it analyzed

#6 posted 12-05-2011 01:52 AM

nah- I’ll just try some floor stripper on a blade. If it doesn’t hurt floor tile, it won’t hurt carbide…

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5565 posts in 2099 days

#7 posted 12-05-2011 10:14 PM

Great video Stumpy! It’ll be interesting to see how it holds up. So where was this blade made?