From Purgatory To Rebirth Zip Code TS

Review by wookie posted 12-01-2011 05:47 PM 4572 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
From Purgatory To Rebirth Zip Code TS From Purgatory To Rebirth Zip Code TS From Purgatory To Rebirth Zip Code TS Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey Jocks and Jockettes,

Disclaimer: I gave this product a 2- star rating just based on the problems detailed below.

After much drama, hand-wringing, and pure obsession, the 22124 Zip CodeTS is almost complete except for the outfeed table. It was purchased off of CL. The saw was still on the pallet with the steel cage on it. The seller brought two of them in a semi lot of stuff. He sells the stuff at a little store in a small town in southern IL. Very nice man. He wanted $600, no fence, supposed to have the BC-30. We haggled a bit and came to a mutual settlement. Seems like there were a few saws out there that had the same situation. My brother Jim came to my rescue today, 11/29, and helped heaps with the assembly. He is a machinist at the local ADM plant and the guy has a gift when it comes to mechanical stuff. I could not have been able to do the assembly by myself. Way too many issues. He calmly figured out what we had to do to gitrdone.

I couldn’t get the blade to line up to the miter slot. The outfeed of the blade was cantered out about a 1/16th or more. Of course all you have to do is loosen the four bolts that hold the table on and line it up. Not! The bolts were bolt bound so we had to wallow out the holes in the cabinet. They had a couple of washers under the table for spacers. Put those back in. We finally got it lined up and then the table sat to low, right down on the arbor, plus couldn’t get the blade to 45 without hitting the throat plate.

Wallowed some more on the holes and added another washer/ spacer to each hole and finally got things to line up. Within a .001th infeed to outfeed, used a Woodpecker Saw Guide for that. I was not very happy about buying that thing but I have changed my mind on that. Even if I use it one time it was sure nice to have it for peace of mind to see how close you really are. Thankful for those cabinet mounted trunnions now! Maybe mine was a reject that they caught somewhere down the road and it has been in purgatory until I dug it out. I have seen old posts about the same problem.

Used a the SawStop Premium Fence. It came with the extension table and everything needed. It was recommended by Mike at the CU Woodworking in Champaign, IL. I really was hedging on the fence purchase. Brother helped with that to. I wasn’t going to let him leave until he did,by force if necessary, lol. Well anyway, drilled a couple holes and it is on there and I think it is going to work out fine. Mike’s recommendation was spot on. Set the fence with the Woodpecker, about .001 infeed to outfeed. Not too bad I hope. Hopefully all settings are going to stay put.

I am going to be lying low for a while before I start any new adventures. So I’ll update on the performance of the machine later. My wife has been a saint throughout all this craziness! It has been a rollercoaster ride and a half. Assembling one of these machine is pretty darn challenging.

I need to give a couple shout outs. Knotscott, thanks for sharing all your knowledge. There can not be anyone out there who knows more about every table saw made. PurpleLev , thanks for all your common sense advice, very timely and helpful. To my brother Jim thanks for bailing me out! One has to remember that family is always there.

Thanks For Looking,

Jack

UPDATE: After making some test cuts with the TS, I am very pleased with the performance. This thing is a beast compared to my Bosch, so I’ll have to get used to that. It rips about anything I can throw at it. The miter gauge seems to be plenty accurate enough. A nicer one would be sweet. First thing I’ll have to do is think about getting a BORK for it. I love all the room in front of the blade and the huge work surface is great. It is also a rock… nice and heavy. The Sawstop fence is a joy to use. I am upgrading from 2 stars to 4 stars. I can’t give it 5 stars because of all the alignment issues. Everything seems to be set as near to prefect as I can get it. Will see how everything goes while we are working on a project.

Cheers,
Jack

View bevins587's profile

bevins587

#1 posted 12-01-2011 07:01 PM

The saw cleaned up real nice, I just picked up one of these myself off CL. I need to go through it real good, anything to watch out for other than what you found wrong with yours?

-Did your saw come with the mobile base or which one did you use?

Justin

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#2 posted 12-01-2011 07:28 PM

great job Jack, it looks awesome, and I think the choice of fence worked out great (even the color scheme matches).

Thanks for sharing ,and next time you get to work on a project let me know how much better you like this one.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#3 posted 12-01-2011 07:34 PM

Justin,

Just the table alignment problems. I used the Rockler mobile base. I brought home a Jet 1200# but the saw base was to small. The Jet only goes down to 24” x 24”. You could possibly cut the steel rails down but not recommended by Jet. The 600# model might go down small enough. I really liked it because you just size it by spring- loaded pins. The Rockler you have to use hardwood for stretchers. The instructions are kind of vague. You have to take in account the wheels on the wheel side and cut them to length. The non-wheel side, cut as per the instructions. If the 600# Jet doesn’t work take a look at the HTC models. They have more parts but looks like you can size them real close. The Rockler is OK but there are easier solutions out there. Put that base on first, of course. Have any problems you can PM me.

#4 posted 12-01-2011 07:37 PM

Thanks, Sharon.

I will let you know. I did cut some Yellow Pine and it buzzed though real good. Also cut through some scrap soft maple, had a little burn but I think I rushed the feed a little. I think that stuff burns easily anyway if you are not careful. The fence guides very smoothly.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

#5 posted 12-02-2011 06:51 PM

Nice summary of your experiences with the saw. Sorry I couldn’t help more. I’d love to hear more comments once you’ve used it a little more. Maybe you’ll add a star if you like it!

p.s. Maple does burn pretty easily….thick stock, too many teeth, and too slow a feedrate are contributors to burning. Raising the blade can help too. Looks like you’ve got a Freud Diablo D1040 on it?

#6 posted 12-02-2011 08:10 PM

Scott,

I am using brand new a full kerf Freud glue line rip 30 tooth. Don’t know if it was worth the extra money or not. I have an old Freud 9” 24 tooth industrial that I thought was dull, put it in the saw and cut just as well. About half the price. I also have a Diablo thin kerf 40 tooth. You helped tons and I surely appreciate it.

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

#7 posted 12-02-2011 11:54 PM

Would love to find one of these for sale somewhere near me! I’ve been watching CraigsList but seems there is not much available for table saws in Maine.

Nice job on the assembly – the saw looks great!

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

#8 posted 12-03-2011 08:10 AM

Jim,

Thanks. Things are pretty lean around too. I hear the guys in the NE have better pickings. Lots of Yankee woodworkers. Be patient and keep lookin’ something will turn up. I think mine was one of a bunch of rejects, considering all the alignment issues we had. I am just thankful everything worked out. I think I paid a little much. Should have started at $200 and not any more than $275.

P.S. My father-in-law is an old salt too. Served during Korea on BB-63 and BB-64… one of those battleship guys. Liked the Wisconsin the best. He’s the real woodworker of the family! Suffers with Alzheimer’s now.