Craft Suppies friction polish

Review by Sawdust2 posted 2362 days ago 1836 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craft Suppies friction polish Craft Suppies friction polish Craft Suppies friction polish Click the pictures to enlarge them

When The Wood Show was in Atlanta Craft Supplies was teaching folks how to turn pens. I think that is where TimD made his first pen.
I had been using CA and BLO as my preferred finishing method for bottle stoppers and pens. But that usually meant sanding to at least 4800 grit, three or four coats of CA and BLO and even then the next day the finish might have dulled down.
Thought I’d give Craft Supplies Friction Polish a try.
Just sanded to 2400 with mm then friction polish with a paper towel till it warmed my fingers.
As shiny and hard a finish as CA and BLO, less work and still shiny hours later.

My new best finishing friend.

Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

View itsme_timd's profile

itsme_timd

Yep, the show was where the pen turning bug bit me!

I’ll need to try this, I’ve got a process that produces a great initial finish but dulls quickly, especially when using the pens instead of just displaying them.

-- Tim D. - Woodstock, GA

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I’ll have to get some of this. I have tried just about anything I can find to get a lasting gloss. So far, without much luck.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

ill have to try that out when i get a lathe. looks cool.

View jockmike2's profile

jockmike2

Does this work on items other than pens such as bowls and bigger turnings? mike

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -