G0514X2B 19" 3 HP Extreme-Series Bandsaw with Motor Brake

Review by Toddmc posted 11-20-2011 04:51 PM 6227 views 2 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
G0514X2B 19" 3 HP Extreme-Series Bandsaw with Motor Brake No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Here is my review of the grizzly G0514X2B 19” 3 HP Extreme-Series Bandsaw with Motor Brake. I ordered the saw about 3 monthes ago.

Shipping – The saw arrived at my house about 4 or 5 buisiness days after ordering and was packed in a flimsy wooded crate but I did not see any problems tahat stemmed from this. The material of the crate was 1/2” X 3” pine. I did not see any damage after removing the crate si I guess it was fine. I did pay for the lift gate and the frieght guy brought it right into my shop with a pallet jack. He even patently waited while I cut the top off the crate to fit it undernearth my garage door to my shop. It is good he waited because there was not way I could muscle a 450LB machine to the back of my shop. overall 5 stars for shipping

Assembly – Assembly was fairly easy the only beef I have was that the machine does not come with a power cord. I have never baught a saw of this size but this struck me as odd. The instructions had color photes of exactly how to wire up the saw so it was simple after a trip to the hardware store for wire and plugs. I wired it to its own dedicated 220V circuit. The table was a little difficult to man handle by myself while lining it up and putting the bolts in. I have cast iron trunions that were stoke on the saw, that is definatly a good thing since the table top weighed about 80 pounds. Wheels were co planer, miter gauge set up for a true 90 degrees, and table tilt degree gauge set up right for 0 degrees. The only thing I had to adjust was the pointer on the fence. I would give assembly 4 stars due to no power cord.

Performance/customer service – Not sure exactly where to start here so here goes. The first time I turned the saw on it vibrated so badly I thought it was going to break a bolt connecting the table top to the trunions. The vibration was so bad the blade was cutting the plastic trought plat on BOTH the left and right side. The blade was properly tensioned with all guides adjusted correctly it simple vibrated that bad. I turned it off and placed about 200 pounds of cement on the base to hold it down. It helped some but still vibrated to the point where a flashlight would fall over when placed on the table (forget the nickle test). This is where the customer service came in. Talked to customer service and he sent me new tires. Repplaced the tire and no change in vibration. Then was sent a new belt. Replaced belt and no change in vibration (even tried my own link blet and it did not help). Then they where going to send me a new upper wheel. About 2 weeks after they where supposed to send it to it never arrived. Called them back to find out it was on back order (at this point I have owned the saw for about 50 days, each shipping process was 4 to 5 buisness days). At this point I was pretty worked up and gave the guy down the road. They agreed to send me a brand new saw. Packed up the old one and shipped it off. New one shipped after my old one arrived in their factory. Got the new one in and set it all up, turned it on and it vibrated just as badly as the old one. This time I bolted it to the concrete but that did not work either. At this point I was beyond mad and had moved into the sad catigory. Called customer service back and they were going to send me new tires (I was thinking here we go again). Went back out to my shop and removed the stock belt and put a link belt on, put rubber sheeting under the feet then bolted it back down, and changed the blade speed from 3500 to 1700 feet. Turned the saw on and the thing ran so smoth it could probably pass the dime test. Not sure what fixed it exactly, did not want to rock the boat so I did not mess with it anymore. I can slice a 1/32 veneer off a 5” wide board that you can see the sun trough when you hold it up to the light. Everything works perfectly now. Customer service get 4 stars (lost a star due to not telling me a part was on backorder and had to call them back to figure it out). Performance gets 3 stars due to all the problems, but they eventually got fixed (it took 3 months total).

Overall I am very happy with the machine. My shop is simply a hobby (build about one piece every month or two) so a 3 month wait did not really hurt me. In the end it was fixed but there was a lot of fustration. I would definatly buy from grizzly again, I was pleased with the customer service.

Questions/comments welcome

View charlton's profile

charlton

78 posts in 2099 days

#1 posted 11-20-2011 06:06 PM

I have several Grizzly machines and in my experience their customer support has been great. That said, in your case, I really wouldn’t be content with changing the speed down to 1700. I’m willing to bet dollars to donuts that if you go back to 3500 you’ll probably experience vibration again. Your bandsaw isn’t going to perform well, IMO, if you’re running at only 1700 SFPM. Just my $0.02.

#2 posted 11-20-2011 10:33 PM

I think you’re being too generous with your ratings. You still don’t have the saw that you paid for !
Did they offer you a 50% or more refund for only being able to run it on one speed ? You shouldn’t have to bolt a 450 pound machine to the floor in the first place. JMHO.
ps: maybe the “Extreme” part of the saws name refers to the vibration you encountered.

#3 posted 11-20-2011 11:57 PM

I’m glad you got it resolved .It all sounds very frustrating.

View MoshupTrail's profile

MoshupTrail

#4 posted 11-21-2011 04:32 AM

Something is out of balance and hitting a “resonant frequency” at 3500 fpm. That means that the vibration is at the same frequency that some part of the machine is responding to like a tuning fork. That said, your challenge is to figure out which part is vibrating. It’s probably just one thing.

One way to do that would be to work forward from the motor gradually connecting one thing after another, removing all the belts first and then adding them back one by one. Running without a blade to separate the drive wheel from the idler wheel. Then adding the blade. You’ll need to try several blades to make sure it’s not just a badly made blade causing your problem, although I think you’ll find it’s one of the two wheels.

If you had a strobe, you might be able to see the vibration and isolate the part that way.

I agree with the others – you bought a two-speed machine, and an expensive one at that. You should get what you paid for. (I have a Rikon 14” with two speeds – the manual says the slower speed is for metal work).

-- Some problems are best solved with an optimistic approach. Optimism shines a light on alternatives that are otherwise not visible.

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#5 posted 11-21-2011 07:59 AM

it is pretty common for the saw not to have a power cord, same thing with my table saw, which is a good thing because i made a nice run along the wall and made it the perfect length.

i really want and am saving for the 17in extreme series with the foot break G0513X2BF.
What made you got with the 19in over the 17in and which model did you get?

-- Ben L

#6 posted 11-21-2011 06:50 PM

I went with the 19” after speaking with some people who said ” have you ever talked someone that said my saw is to big? And you always hear people saying they would like to get a bigger saw”. So I went witrh the larger one that had all the features I wanted like geared table tilt and geaRed guide post. I checked the upper wheel for balance and it seemed fine, there is no way it is perfectly round though, you can tell that by sight pretty easy, if the wheel is balance could this still be the source?

View patron's profile (online now)

patron

13103 posts in 2031 days

#7 posted 11-21-2011 07:17 PM

seems to me
if you can ‘see’ that the wheel is not true round
the centrifugal force of it spinning
would make it vibrate
more and more at faster speeds

View MoshupTrail's profile

MoshupTrail

#8 posted 11-22-2011 01:06 AM

omg yes! if the upper wheel is out of round you will have all sorts of problems – not the least of which will be tension that varies as blade goes around and shorter blade life.

View bjmh46's profile

bjmh46

#9 posted 11-22-2011 12:49 PM

Patron has it right. The imbalance forces vary with the square of the rotational speed. For example if you double the rpm of the rotating element, the force imparted to the machine by the imbalance, will increase by a factor of four! What you did by decreasing the speed, was to reduce the imbalance force to the degree that it was far less noticeable(by a factor of 4). You are cutting at 1700 ft/min now, vs. the proper speed of 3500 ft/min. I would not be happy with this situation, and I would continue working with Grizzly to get it right!

Regards
Bob

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#10 posted 11-22-2011 06:10 PM

Bob’s right. I would be calling Grizzly now about a new wheel, or a new saw, but would you want to go through that process again? Sorry for your frustration. I think your review is valid except for the cord. I believe most manufacturers don’t provide a cord for large machinery. Great review, sorry for your frustrations.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

#11 posted 11-22-2011 07:13 PM

AFter reading everything here I think you all are right, I am going to call grizzly back and get it fixed or a refund

#12 posted 11-22-2011 07:13 PM

I thought that your rating was to nice as well. I’m sorry to hear that you had and are still having trouble. I have a Grizzly 14 Ultimate that is a great saw. But I have had other problems with Grizzly Sales Department selling me an item to call me back in 2 days telling me its 2 months back ordered. I have been thinking of getting a 3 hp table saw from them but I might hold out for a saw stop or powermatic. Good luck.

#13 posted 11-22-2011 10:16 PM

Just got done talking with grizzly, I decided to just return the machine for a full refund and they agreed. They are refunding me the price of the machine, the shipping including the lift gate, and the price of the bandsaw blades I bought for it. I am very happy they gave me a full refund. Yes I agree that I rated it to high, perhaps a one or zero star is more appropriate since it does not even work. Onthe brighter side I just got off the phone with minimax and decided to go with the MM16, they go on sale 2 days from now ($200 dollar discout from normal price and come with a bunch of extra blades for the blade friday sale). The Rep I talked to from minmax said if he had a nickle for every person that was upgrading from grizzly he would be a rich man. I know there are a lot of grizzly fans on this site and I used to be one to but I will NEVER buy from grizzly again. I do like grizzly Customer service though. Was also considering the laguna LT18 3000 series but have seen where some of the reviews were not to good on that saw either. Any thought?

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#14 posted 11-23-2011 03:11 AM

never heard of minimax,
there 16in bandsaw has some great features but is lacking a few the grizzly 17in has. i asked to see how much it is and if its within my price range maybe i will change what i am getting.

i have been looking at bandsaw for like 2 years and the last year i had my heart set on a grizzly extreme 17in after looking at just about everyone (except minimax)
man i just want a bandsaw :(

-- Ben L

#15 posted 11-23-2011 03:21 AM

AttainableApex ,The Grizzly only has a 12” cutting capacity. The MiniMax has 16” : )