Review by David Grimes posted 11-20-2011 08:35 AM 6623 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockwell RK9010 12 1/2" Portable Thickness Planer + stand (same as Grizzly G0505) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First, much thanks to LJ member Roger Clark aka Rex for finding and sharing the deal.

This is the Rockwell RK9010 planer that cost me only $204 shipped. It is identical in every way to the Grizzly G0505 (except the grizzly is green and has a bear on the front hood) that sells for $339 plus shipping and does NOT include the stand. The same package (unit + stand+ shipping) from Grizzly would cost me $393.70, so nearly half price. I also got to choose between orange and silver. I went for the BORG orange, thankyouverymuch. ;=)

It was important to me that I can get accessories, parts and blades from Grizzly (or somewhere reliable) since this was a Justdeals.com one day offering.

Now, the bad: The unit was double boxed, but that did not prevent UPS from doing what they do best: destroy packages. I opened the outer box and viewed the unit box splitting at all of its seams. I unboxed the unit and found that a corner of the base casting was cracked. The pieces were there, however and fit like a puzzle, so I went ahead with assembly. No problems except one of the two wing nuts that holds the ship deflector secure was missing. I have spares that fit. The corners of the housing on the out-feed side are scratched pretty bad, but purely cosmetic.

The good (for fair and balanced reporting): I have quite a nice pile of 3/4” x 3” x 36” and 42”, then several 3/4” x 6” x 36” and 42” pre-finished cabinet fillers and ogee trim. They are several in each of oak, maple, poplar, cherry, and hickory. I fired the unit up and ran about a dozen through the planer one side, then the other. It ran these pieces of hardwood through fast and smooth and without one hint of snipe. SOLD !

So, how to rate this thing ? If perfect cosmetically from grizzly I’d give it a 4 stars. But it was 1/2 price, so 5 stars for a stellar value. But it was beat up and had to be repaired !? That was UPS fault, not the machine’s fault.. and does not affect the use of the planer one bit. Oh, and it came with a nice stand included. I’ve got to go with 5 stars for the deal and the stand.

BTW, I would not pay nearly $400 for the Grizzly without the stand. That money would buy a Black and Dewalt ;=) or a Ridgid.

Thanks, Rex. You are the best shopper buddy on LJ since Bubinga used to be on here. BTW, the MLCS oin router attachment at 1/2 price is on the way, too.

View Daniel_Walter's profile

Daniel_Walter

#1 posted 11-20-2011 08:53 AM

Do you mind sharing where you purchased this planer from? Thanks.

View patron's profile

patron

13034 posts in 1995 days

#2 posted 11-20-2011 08:54 AM

a deal is a deal

and no snipe is six stars

can’t beat roger

(well you could try
but he’d just laugh at you)

#3 posted 11-20-2011 09:22 AM

Justdeals.com one day offering. They don’t have them anymore.

But Amazon has them for $299 shipped (including the stand). I’d do that now that I know the machine has a little righteousness to it. ;=)

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#4 posted 11-20-2011 06:25 PM

Congratulation on your find. and I HATE UPS !!

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

#5 posted 11-21-2011 12:29 AM

That looks like a real winner for the price you paid… A couple of questions though..

#1. Does it have a cutter head lock? #2. Can you get UPS to make good on the damage?

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2386 posts in 2091 days

#6 posted 11-21-2011 01:30 AM

Good deal. And it all works well. Thanks for the review.

BTW… I have those saw horses. Convenient and tough aren’t they? Adjustable on a slanted surface too. Not to hone in on your review.. just sayin’.

#7 posted 11-21-2011 04:48 AM

@Craftsman on the lake, Those are some stout saw horses… and the adjustability is great (from way too short to way to tall and all in between). On this subject, I found (but have not purchased… yet) some very strong and versatile workbench / support thingies that are very impressive and have m,any possible applications in my shop: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202021304/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

#8 posted 11-21-2011 05:27 AM

@dbhost, Answers: 1. there is a blade lock bar that fits into the slot on the cutter head 2. I could get UPS to make good on the damage, but the cracked base is already repaired and not a problem. The paint scratches will get fixed, too the next time I’m filling, masking and shooting something. I’m good with where I’m at with this, just thankful none of the damage affects operations or loaded structure.

#9 posted 11-21-2011 10:23 AM

Update: All together and on the stand. I just had to have casters. You know how it is… ;-)

#10 posted 11-22-2011 07:23 PM

Congrats on your new planer and such a good deal. Enjoy!

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5455 posts in 2029 days

#11 posted 11-25-2011 09:05 PM

Who knew?! Thanks for posting this David. What a deal! Any ideas how it does so well with snipe having no cutterhead lock? Does it use a 4-post thread lock the DW735 and Ridgid R4330?