PM2000 Onyx

Review by Bill1225 posted 11-18-2011 01:35 AM 3975 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
PM2000 Onyx PM2000 Onyx PM2000 Onyx Click the pictures to enlarge them

Really not much to say other then excellent. After using the saw all day i keep asking my self why i waited so long. Assembly was simple just took my time and rechecked everything as i went. Only downside during assembly was i had to run out and get a tap for rear fence rail there was a ton of paint in the threads . Over all it took me about 4hours to put together with a helper.

Once i got it dialed in I put it right to work minus one hicup. (see my freud fussion review) We ran a total of 200 feet of oak through it today and it just kept asking for more. I do need to upgrade to a real dust collector though my rigid shop vac could not keep up. Quality of cut with blades i had used on my bosch TS had improved on this saw. I am a little disappointed in the miter gauge but oh well i have never seen a high end factory miter gauge. The fence was a breeze to make parallel and square with no signs of deflection.

So in a nut shell it was a great purchase and i don’t have a doubt in my mind this saw will continue to do anything i ask of it.

View RONFINCH's profile

RONFINCH

#1 posted 11-18-2011 01:48 AM

Welcome to the Powermatic family! I bought mine about 2 years ago and still love it. I REALLY love the ONYX design!

View Everett1's profile

Everett1

#2 posted 11-18-2011 02:12 AM

i’m SO jealous

I have the bosch 4100 for now (one car garage, not a lot of room). My in laws have my wife’s grandfathers Delta Unisaw from the 50’s. One day when i have room it’s mine! Well, if i want to deal with cleaning it up a little.

-- Ev in Framingham, MA

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#3 posted 11-18-2011 04:46 AM

Great review for a great saw! The only problem I can see is that it’s not in my shop …

#4 posted 11-18-2011 06:33 AM

garagewoodworks- you are right the saw was a divorce present to myself

15337 posts in 1943 days

#5 posted 11-18-2011 12:12 PM

The Gold Standard in woodworking. I can’t wait to get a bigger saw. I love the Black they came out with. I’m very jealous! LOL Enjoy!

View getlostinwood's profile

getlostinwood

#6 posted 11-18-2011 05:09 PM

Welcome to the club, I still run green but love the look of the black.

-- The basis for optimism is shear terror

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#7 posted 11-18-2011 05:21 PM

A great machine, for sure! That space under the table is just waiting for something to be built to hold accessories…miter gage, rip fence, miter gage extension table, blades

Lee

View sawdustphill's profile

sawdustphill

#8 posted 11-19-2011 07:46 PM

next you need to upgrade that little delta jointer

Phillip from Ky.

View TheBossQ's profile

TheBossQ

#9 posted 11-20-2011 02:17 AM

I agree about the miter gauge. I have never seen one that came with a saw that I would even give five dollars for. I would honestly rather see a couple blank zero clearance inserts tossed in the box than a miter gauge. Same with factory blades. Unless it says Incra or Forrest, keep it and send me something I’ll use.

I love the look of the Onyx line. Congrats!

#10 posted 11-21-2011 05:06 AM

a 8” or the 12” short bed grizzly are in the near future, my budget for woodworking tools are side job unless its work work related job site tools so probably a month or 2 but a dust collector is first

View smitty22's profile

smitty22

#11 posted 11-22-2011 05:48 AM

Congrats, love the onyx color scheme.

My PM2000 miter guage became a dedicated box joint jig, replaced for most use with an Incra 1000SE. Seems like I saw a sale on the 1000HD recently, couldn’t go wrong with that either.

Enjoy!