the good and the bad

Review by Bill1225 posted 978 days ago 3579 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
the good and the bad No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

well got my powermatic pm2000 today set and dialed in put brand new fussion blade in and first cut lost a tooth!!!!!! it stuck right in to my shirt. So i got freud on the horn and was prepared to get upset but, after explaining what happend first word out of his mouth was” are you ok , don’t worry about the blade we want to make sure you are ok”. After assuring them i was ok they emailed me the return paper work and info, then for my inconvenience they asked what blade i would like them to throw in. So kuddos to freud they made my day!

View Bill1225's profile

Bill1225

View DS's profile

DS

I’m also glad you are okay, but, pardon me if my skepticism of corporate America takes over for a second…

Getting you to admit you are okay on a recorded phone call, (for quality assurance purposes, no doubt), can severly limit their exposure if you later claim to have been injured by one of thier products. Good strategy, I suppose. Customer feels like big corporation is concerned and the back end consequences are nullified.

I’d send you a free blade too… Cheaper than the retainer at Dewey, Cheatham and Howe, LLP.

-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251

View Everett1's profile

Everett1

I agree a little bit with DS251. Maybe you could have milked it for a whole case of blades!

But in all seriousness, glad your ok, that would have freaked me out to have a tooth fly at me

-- Ev in Framingham, MA

View Bill1225's profile

Bill1225

really didnt even realize i had been hit by the tooth only reason i found it was i was in the middle of complaining about my shop vac not being good enough and brushing the saw dust off my chest and i felt it. and ill take carbide flying at me compared to my previous career.

ds251- you are probably 100% right just glad i didn’t get any argument out of them.

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

I think it’s nice you were honest.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

1599 posts in 2058 days

Its nice to hear that some companies still believe in customer service. I have used that particular blade and I love it. I feel it cuts better than any Forrest I have ever used. I had one mounted in a 2hp unisaw and got glass smooth cuts and almost no tear out at all. In fact with a ZCI I did not have any tear out or fuzzing in the cut at all. I think once you get a good one you will be impressed. Once I get a few scheckels saved I will be getting a 12” version of the same blade for my Oliver

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View JordsWoodShop's profile

JordsWoodShop

Good to hear your ok, putting the customer service and quality control to the side, I guess this is a good reminder that safety glasses should always be worn, well before the machine is turned on because as this proves its not just wood chips we need to worry about!
regards

-- Jordan - http://www.jordswoodshop.com

View wildbill001's profile

wildbill001

Wow, talk about lucky (as in no penetration)!

I’m not so sure the “i’m ok” would limit liability but then, I’m not a lawyer.

I will say, however, I’m very happy to hear that at least that customer service rep was concerned enough to ask about you. That says a lot to me and having them send you a replacement as well as another blade, says a lot about Freud. As others have said, all too often corporate america only wants to make a buck, ignore the customer, and never, ever admit there is a problem.

Bill

-- "You can tell the pioneers by the arrows in their back" -- Unknown

View Bigrock's profile

Bigrock

Had the same trouble with a 8” Dado set from them. Call them, they sent paper work. Mailed my the whole set with the broken tooth. Four days after I shipped at their expense I had a new complete set. I know this because I has marked the inside cover.
They are a very good customer service Co.

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

It is easy to think that all that was on Freud’s mind was to limit liability. Maybe it was, but really I think they deserve if not kudos, at least the benefit of the doubt.

I mean would anybody feel better if they never asked if you were ok and just said ‘we’ll replace the blade.’?

Many if not most companies wouldn’t bother to ask, either because of dopey staff or corporate culture.

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View JohnL's profile

JohnL

Last time I heard “lucky” and “no penetration” in the same sentence was a REALLY drunk night in college.

-- I'm looking forward to regretting this.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

glad you are OK from some other blogs/ treads around on the net
I think they consern about there costummers and not just stand by there products
with good custommerservice …
that said
I don´t doubt they also have good lawyers if it commes to that part :-)

thank´s for sharing

View DS's profile

DS

Somehow, I suspect that if you had reported you were injured, that particular representative would no longer be able to talk to you and you would’ve been referred to the legal department. ( no free blades either )

My wife is a former insurance adjuster and the quickest way for her to dispatch a case from her desk was if the claimant stated they had retained counsel. From that moment on, she could no longer talk to them—everything had to go through in-house counsel from that point forward.

It’s a messy business when liability gets involved.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

Glad you’re ok; I imagine that getting hit by a high speed piece of carbide could get nasty…I’m interested in what you think of the blade once you get the new one up and running.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Roger's profile

a bizarre incident. you never ever know what may happen. I am very happy you didn’t get hurt, and I am very happy to hear that Freud was compassionate, and helpful to solve your dilema. Let us know the finished review of the blade, once you get a replacement.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

It may be true that Freud had an ulterior motive in sounding so concerned for your well-being, but even if so, compare that to the BORK guy’s attitude from this thread:

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."