Wixey WR 550 - Excellent addition to an old 15" Planer

Review by jwisbey posted 11-17-2011 04:24 AM 3891 views 3 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wixey WR 550  - Excellent addition to an old 15" Planer Wixey WR 550  - Excellent addition to an old 15" Planer Wixey WR 550  - Excellent addition to an old 15" Planer Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently installed a Wixey WR 550 digital readout to a 20 year old Bridgewood BW15P 15” planer. I purchased it from Amazon for $79 dollars. The contents were well packed in the box.

The reason I purchased this readout was due to the various options for installation on a machine. With my planer being so old, I wasn’t sure if I could find a digital readout for it. The installation took about 20 minutes, with most of the time determining where the best place to install it was. I considered installing it near the rear of the machine, but then I noticed that the top bracket aligned with 2 screws in a post support. Upon removing the screws, I determined that the existing machine screws were not long enough. Luckily I had 2 that were 1/4” longer that fit perfectly. I only had to drill 2 holes for the bottom bracket and 2 holes to hold the readout and I was done. Wixey provided the drill bits and the screws provided were self tapping which made installation a breeze.

I installed the batteries and planed a small board as was suggested in the installation guide, then cut a middle section out of it for calibration. I loosened the lock knob, placed the board between 2 ‘fingers’ on the scale mount and held the calibration button on the readout for 3 seconds. Then the board was removed, the fingers moved back together, and the lock nob retightened. Done!!!. It took all of about 2 minutes to perform including the planing of the test board.

I checked the board thickness with a digital caliper and the readout was within .002”. That is more than enough accuracy for me!

Overall, the readout was well packaged, provided various installation options, was easy to install and calibrate, and was well within the tolerances of accuracy that I will ever need. I highly recommend this if you are looking to add a digital readout to your planer, sander, or additional machine that has a moving table for thicknesses (12” range or less).

-- Joe, Ohio - Working with wood for over 25 years and still a beginner

View jwisbey's profile

jwisbey

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#1 posted 11-18-2011 03:30 PM

That is really a neat use of that digital readout tool. I could use on on the Z axis on my mill and will look into it. Currently I use a plastic digital caliper with the head cut off and mounted between two pins. I cna see a lot of uses for such a tool. Than you so much for sharing!!..............Jim

View mikedddd's profile

mikedddd

145 posts in 1919 days

#2 posted 11-18-2011 06:11 PM

I have one on my planer as well as my drum sander, they make dialing in a specific thickness a breeze. Your going to like that edition to your planer.

-- Mike

#3 posted 11-24-2011 08:45 PM

Nice review , great photos : ) Thank you !

View RogerM's profile

RogerM

#4 posted 12-16-2011 03:05 AM

I put one on a Delta 380 15” planer and absolutely love it. Really a great improvement for this older machine.

-- Roger M, Aiken, SC

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#5 posted 05-30-2013 04:00 PM

Great review—absolutely love the way you mounted the unit (rather than in the back). I’m thinking about getting one of these and if I do, plan to mount it like you have!