Start Your Engines!!

Review by MsDebbieP posted 11-16-2011 11:52 AM 1429 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Start Your Engines!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This book review is from the November 2011 issue of our LumberJocks’ eMag

Fox Chapel Publishing is donating another book for a free draw! (See below for details)
Pinewood Derby by Troy Thorne

I was really excited when I first saw this book – the graphics just look like so much fun. I couldn’t wait to see what was inside.
Inside, I was not disappointed. Not only does it include wonderful, very clear photos for the step-by-step process of building a derby car, but there are also funny jokes shared by the cute little “Dash Derby” character posted throughout the book, that add to its uniqueness and its “draw” for children and youth.

Beyond the cuteness factor, this books is technical – but not in a professional woodworker kind of way. Next to the photos and directions that show how to tape sandpaper to a work surface and move the wood rather than the sandpaper to sand, there are these words of wisdom, ”Before you ask your mom or dad where they keep the elbow grease [...] “Elbow Grease” is what people say when they mean that doing something will take some hard work!”

The book takes the builder through gathering the materials needed, building the car, making sure it is within regulations, decorating it, making sure it works perfectly, and then, finally what to do on race day – including having backup materials for not only your car but for your friends’/competitors’ as well. How cool is that!

My Ratings of The Book
Layout and Appearance: Inviting, inspiring and informative. Thumbs Up!
Instructions: Clear information and instructions – and done in a fun way. Thumbs Up!
Projects Selection: A variety of plans provided to inspire creativity. Great.
Inspiration: I want to attend a derby race to see some of these cars in action. Thumbs Up!
Overall: Thumbs Up!

WIN A FREE BOOK

One random draw winner will receive a copy of the book.
To enter your name in the draw, click here and answer the two easy questions.
Deadline: December 10, 2011

Another big thank-you to Fox Chapel Publishing for their continued donation of books for free draws here at LumberJocks.com.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

View jonchilds's profile

jonchilds

#1 posted 11-18-2011 05:00 AM

It looks like a good book. The pinewood derby has sure changed since I was in cubscouts. I really like working with my two boys getting them ready. Every year I try and let them to do more and more to hopefully interest them in woodworking. The first year it is basically paint and decorate, and now my oldest does almost the whole thing, including using and handsaw to make the body and the Dremmel to sand and polish the axles.

Not that I needed much of an excuse since I was just starting to build up my shop, but it was at least a decent excuse to buy a bandsaw and drill press too :)

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#2 posted 11-19-2011 01:03 PM

any excuse is a good excuse :D

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)