Lost Accuracy

Review by woodworksbyjohn posted 884 days ago 1854 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lost Accuracy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received this as a present last Christmas and thought things were good with it until now! I had my tablesaw blade set for some angled cuts and just re-squared the blade with the Angle Cube. I ripped pieces to make 8 cabinet doors and when I brought them to the shaper noticed they didn’t sit squarely on the fence! A try square showed them to be off by about 5-6 degrees. I double checked the tablesaw with the angle cube but according to it was right on. Hand planed a piece square, ran it through the saw and again edge was off. After fussing around with the blade and cube, checking and re-checking, I finally used my try square and sure enough, the Angle Cube is off. On writing them they apologized and sent instructions on re-calibrating the cube which state it may take several attempts and the surface must be within .02 degree accuracy.
Since I don’t have anything like that in the shop I think it’s time to stick with an accurate try square and set the blade the way God intended us too!

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

I never really found a need for a digital device to setup anything square, a try/combination/machinist square does that fairly easily and there is no fuss/batteries required (calibration may be required in a blue moon if ever in your life time). And for a beveled cut you can use a sliding bevel gauge to match any angle for a tight fit.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

woodworksbyjohn

Couldn’t agree with you more—it was a good Christmas present or impulse item but like you, I’d rather trust my try square and sliding bevel.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

I use a digital angle gauge, but I always zero it off of the blade, which I set to 90 with a square.

-- Tim

View BilltheDiver's profile

BilltheDiver

I had some problems with the Igaging unit and exchanged it for the Wixey. Much happier.

-- "Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

View Lifesaver2000's profile (online now)

Lifesaver2000

+1 on what Tim said. My saw’s digital gauge is actually connected by wire to the tilting mechanism. Since it is gravity based and my saw is on wheels, it just makes sense to square the blade with a good square, zero the digital, then adjust for the angle. Using this method it is very accurate, and works for odd angles like 19.2 degrees (used that on some trim).

woodworksbyjohn

TenonTim, seems that’s almost double effort but workable. Unfortunately, in my case the unit itself is out of calibration. I’d zero it off of the tablesaw and then adjust the blade. Although it showed 90 degrees it was actually more like 85 or so.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

John, you might try checking with the manufacturer and telling them the problem. I have a Wixey and they stand behind their products, maybe the makers of yours will too. Worth a try.

-- Tim

woodworksbyjohn

I did and they sent me their apologies for the hassle and directions for re-calibration. No mention of replacement or repair but I’m okay with that. Having used Starrett try square and their protractor head for years no problem going back to the “old fashioned” methods anyway.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2544 posts in 1932 days

I use my Wixey all the time. I like being able to zero it out on the bench I am working with and then getting a very accurate measurement… measure twice, cut once (or is it measure once, cut twice???)

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

I have 2 wixey’s and one is by my table saw and the other is at my miter saw. Both are extremely acurate and i have set an angle with one and checked its accuracy with the other for comparison. Dead on accurate.
I really like them alot.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work. http://www.FineArtBoxes.com

View dedalo's profile

dedalo

same experience here with the wixey… very accurate

-- http://carpinteriaenargentina.blogspot.com

View Mike's profile

Mike

see this is why you don’t try and square things with a cat, they just wander off…

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.termitecrafts.com

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

I have the same one and I have to zero it every single time on the table top.
Even with that I am sometimes off by a degree or so.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

woodworksbyjohn

I guess I really didn’t make things clear and this thread is going crazy!! I always zero it out before use. That’s by setting it on the tablesaw and push the button so that it reads zero. Place it on the blade and adjust the blade until it reads 90 degrees. Cut the board and it’s about 84-86 degrees when checked with a Starrett protractor head.

It’s not operator error, it’s that the cube is out of calibration.

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

1081 posts in 2045 days

John, how do you recalibrate the cube?

-- Smitty!!!