A versatile tool for small cuts and other tricks

Review by Jorge G. posted 1020 days ago 4250 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A versatile tool for small cuts and other tricks A versatile tool for small cuts and other tricks A versatile tool for small cuts and other tricks Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, I finally got my Jointmaker Pro V2. I mainly bought this tool to make kerf bending, inlay, and a few other ideas I have for spiffing up projects.

The tool comes in a fairly small box, there are a lot of pieces and assembly instructions are very explicit and easy to follow, the machine can be put together in one afternoon.

When I got my tool, there were a few parts missing or the wrong size, being BCT once I contacted them I was sent the parts at no charge to me via Fedex, great service on their part.

The machine works as advertised, but it does take some time (and patience) to dial it in and square everything away. If you are in need of making small precise cuts, this is the machine to get. The picture above was a test piece done in 5 minutes and just eyeballing the cuts, not even marking the wood.

If you plan on getting one of this. I would recommend you build the holding table first and then adjust the machine for optimum work. For me it was too difficult to do it on the work bench, too high to push the wood through the blade.

This machines uses an inverted japanese saw blade, it comes with 3 cross cut blades and there are rip blades available. While the blades are sold in sets of five, each blade costs about $22. If you are careful the blades should last you for a long time, depending on the use and wood being cut.

I know this is a short review, but really the machines works as advertised and it is just easier to visit their site and look at their videos.

View schuft's profile

schuft

The first pic looks like the stand has an incline. Why is that?

Jorge G.

Just so that your arms don’t have to extend so much to make the cut to the end. It is what is recommended by BCT

Jorge G.

Yes they are, their tools are considered expensive by some, but given they work as advertised, they have outstanding customer service and they let you do things that otherwise would be hard to do, they are worth every penny to me.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I’ve always been intrigued by this tool. I think it is ideal for making small objects where precise cuts are necessary. I also like the idea of making quiet cuts. I think whether or not I get one is be dependent on what kind of work I want to focus on in the future. If I want to focus more on small items (box making et al) this could be the tool for me.

Am I right to assume that the blades cannot be sharpened?

Jorge G.

Yeah, the blades cannot be sharpened, but if you use a small enough pitch and repetitive cuts, they last for a long time.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

This IS a very interesting tool. BUT given the price tag, I think I would rather spend TIME practicing those cuts with a regular Japanese handsaw. Most of the cuts made on their video can be done by hand. Thanks for the review, it’s the first time I’ve seen this tool.

Jorge G.

Most of the cuts made on their video can be done by hand.

Yes they can, but not with the precision this tool offers, which is it’s main selling point. Why use a router when you can do most of the profiles by hand? :-)

View Domer's profile

Domer

245 posts in 2000 days

I went to their web site but could not see the price. Can you tell us how much it cost?

Domer

Jorge G.

It is $1,384 and $1,245.6 if you are a founder’s club member, which cost $45 for one year. Here is a link with other prices, for example the single wing, which is cheaper.

View Viktor's profile

Viktor

447 posts in 2052 days

This is an awesome tool. What I find appealing is the unsurpassed efficiency (both material and energy): turn the smallest possible amount of wood into dust to achieve the objective. I suppose if you make living making custom decorative boxes and such, that thing will pay off quickly just in saving on precious woods.

View toddbeaulieu's profile

toddbeaulieu

This looks like an amazing tool. I’ve been drooling over it for more than a year now.

Has this remained a staple in your shop? Is it well suited for box making with 3/4” and under material?

My problem with their videos is that they don’t show practical use. While cool, coffee stirrers isn’t what I want to see being cut.

Thanks!

Jorge G.

Is it well suited for box making with 3/4” and under material?

You can use material up to 1 and 5/8 thick. 3/4 is no problem at all. The machine is geared towards making small cuts with precision and safety. Cuts that other wise would be dangerous on a TS. It is one of those items that you use sparsely but wonderful when you need it.

View toddbeaulieu's profile

toddbeaulieu

OMG!

They have an $1,100 fence for it!

Oh man is that setup sexy!