Excellent Bandsaw Fence

Review by JohnnyB posted 11-13-2011 02:59 AM 4951 views 3 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent Bandsaw Fence Excellent Bandsaw Fence No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I did not buy the fence that was available for my General bandsaw when I got it six or seven years ago. I was clamping a piece of wood on the table to act as a fence when needed. I finally got tired of this tedious chore, and when I read the reviews of some of the available bandsaw fences, I found that none of the reviewers were unequivocally pleased with them. I had never heard of Woodhaven before finding it by doing an internet search, but now I know that they make some solid and versatile accessory fences.

The only glitch in installing the fence on the General bandsaw was that I had to enlarge a couple of the predrilled mounting holes to achieve the needed clearance for the miter gauge and the distance of the rails from the table top. No big deal. I also rounded over the corners of the fence and rails, so that when I bump into them (not if but when) I won’t be as badly damaged.

This fence is a pleasure to use – especially considering my previous “fence” set up. The fence is plenty long, and it locks at both the front and the back rails. The front lock secures the fence in place and maintains the angle setting with only minor deviation wherever you set it along the rail. The rear lock then holds it in place. A stop block is supplied that can be set anywhere along to fence, and the fence has channels that accept the head of a 1/4-20 hex bolt, a 1/4-20 jam nut, or special nuts available from Woodhaven. This allows you to add your own fittings. I used the channel in the rear rail to add a short outfeed table (see picture). The table is easily removed, and the support leg is hinged for easy storage. The fence is adjustable for vertical squareness to the table and for lead angle.

The only drawback I have noted is that the fence is not instantly demountable from the rails in case you need the full depth of the table’s clearance. It would take a minute or two to unlock the rails, slide them to the right, and slide the fence off the rails, but this does not require any tools. Also, I don’t believe you can use the fence on the right side of the blade. So far, these limitations have not affected me. I have found that with careful set up of the fence, stop block, and blade, I can cut a serviceable tenon on a small workpiece entirely and quickly on the bandsaw. Cool!

-- JohnnyB - - Sometimes determination can substitute for skill.

View JohnnyB's profile

JohnnyB

#1 posted 11-13-2011 05:57 AM

Nice idea with the outfeed table : )

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 11-13-2011 09:44 PM

Thank you for the excellent review.

I’m very interested in this because I am not happy with the fence that came with my 18” Jet bandsaw.

I just read the description of this product at the Woodhaven website. It looks like I may have to drill some of my own holes to attach it to an 18” bandsaw and I am not sure I can make it work on my saw at all.

Also – I am used to using a resaw guide. I was curious about attaching one to this fence. Then I read that, due to the way you can adjust this fence, a resaw guide is not necessary.

I will call Woodhaven soon to inquire about putting this fence on my saw.

View JohnnyB's profile

JohnnyB

#3 posted 11-19-2011 07:31 AM

Since posting this review, I have taken a careful look at the fence, and I don’t see any reason you could not use it on the right side of the blade. I did not actually try it, however, and if this is important to you, I’d recommend checking with Woodhaven.

-- JohnnyB - - Sometimes determination can substitute for skill.

View HeHadaHaat's profile