I BADMOUTHED THE WRONG COMPRESSOR

Review by jockmike2 posted 03-02-2008 03:43 PM 5277 views 1 time favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I BADMOUTHED THE WRONG COMPRESSOR No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A while back I gave a negative review to this 2-in-1 brad / stapler with compressor, here on Lumberjocks. I was recently contacted by the “Director of Product Developement at Stanely Bostich.” I Quote, ” Your post regarding your frustrating experience with our compressor just came across my desk. First, I would like to apologize for the inconvience and frustration this problem caused you. For a short period of time, the valve plate was out of our specification which could lead to a premature failure of the valve. This problem has since been resovlved.
Being an avid woodworker myself, I can understand your frustration and disappointment in our product. Bostich is committed to delivering high quality products for both the professional and industrial markedts, and our customers’s satisfaction is the single most important objective for our organization. If you would send me an E-mail, or call me, I would like to send you a gift as an apology for dissappointing you and as a first step in rebuilding your perception of bostich. My E-Mail address is g———@stanleyworks.com and my office ph. is. and my cell ph is…...
Best Regards”

Gary

So this guy has contacted me and offered to not only replace the old compressor, but upgrade the 18 gauge gun I had to a 23 gauge gun that he claims is the top of the line. So the sqweeky wheel does at times get the grease. Martin if you want
Gary’s E-mail or phone number, I’m sure he would be most interested in advertising with us. This whole thing is amazing. I have E-mailed this guy 2 or 3 times and he has never failed to answer a question. When the machine worked it worked great, especially on trim. It left such a small hole you did not need to go back a fill anything. The motor was surprisingly quiet, and I like the no oil aspect of it. It also had a qiuck recovery time, that meant you did’nt have to wait, When it worked it worked great, I hope the bugs are gone. mike wurm

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#1 posted 03-02-2008 03:48 PM

Great story. I have wondered if the powers that be check out these reviews. Thanks for taking the time to write this. The good folks at Craftsman must not be aware of the Internet.

Personally I love my Bostich finish nailer, ....uh wait…. I mean it it has significant issues warranting an upgrade…

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View Moron's profile

Moron

#2 posted 03-02-2008 03:52 PM

wonderful

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

#3 posted 03-02-2008 03:53 PM

Mike: Thanks for being candid in your first review. I hope more manufacturers find out about these reviews from real users and not paid authors. We might start getting better tools and some realistically tool life and utilization.

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#4 posted 03-02-2008 03:59 PM

Well, now, doesn’t that just warm your heart!!!

We also have that compressor. It’s sitting idle for now. A hammer was dropped on the gauge and we can’t find a replacement with the same pressure range.

It sure came in handy when finishing our bedroom and for building our shed—oh yah.. the shed. We blessed it every day!! We got a big monster gun from Rick’s work and this little compressor fired those nails into the wood like nothing. WOO HOO.

Thanks for the update Mike. I think I can see your smile from here.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#5 posted 03-02-2008 04:14 PM

Mike!
It makes me happy to hear that you got satisfaction from Bostitch.

You can see that they care about their customers.

It’s also good to know that Lumberjocks reviews are being taken seriously.

Now, wouldn’t it be nice if you could get some help with that lousy lathe of yours.

View Moron's profile

Moron

#6 posted 03-02-2008 04:33 PM

I’m not positive but I think my nail gun/brad gun was bought out by Bostich. originally called a Nimico?. It’s so old the writing is worn off but I can only say that it shot out thousands and thousands of brads, over 25 years old and still works like the day I bought it.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View scottb's profile

scottb

#7 posted 03-02-2008 04:51 PM

based on your old review (which was too late for Dad, who’d been constantly frustrated with his – last attempt to run it, it never came up to pressure) We resolved not to get another by them… I’m glad to hear of the improvements and resolution for you.

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

#8 posted 03-02-2008 04:56 PM

You’re right of course Dick, but some companies just don’t give a darn. When I dealt with that women in
Tennessee she was the most obnoxious and disagreeable person I have ever talked with, and all I was doing was trying to get some info about where I might find the parts I needed for my Delta Lathe, and I bad mouthed that company till the cows came home and still no satisfaction. Delta Sucks. mike

View dalec's profile

dalec

#9 posted 03-02-2008 06:41 PM

It is nice when a company representative takes very seriously their reputation and customer satisfaction, that they fix a problem when it could be easily ignored. It says a lot about the values of that company and the individual who made contact with you.

Dalec

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#10 posted 03-02-2008 06:44 PM

Glad to know there is still customer satisfaction oriented professionals out there. From their vantage, the “gift” will mostl ikely not only resolve your negative feelings, but also great revenue from likely repeat business as they have now built a relationship of trust with you. You know are no doubt left with the impression that if yo are not satisfied with their product line, they will make an effort to rectify your needs. Plus, as of now 57 woodworkers reading this will store that knowledge away as well.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#11 posted 03-02-2008 10:11 PM

I have this compressor and it sets idle most of the time because it is so NOISY and takes forever to build pressure. I’ve had it about a year and used it only twice because of the problems above, would have used it about every day if not for the problems. Oh and the 1st time I turned it on it blew one of it’s valves apart, but the company replaced the valve for free, it’s just a good thing nobody was in-line with the trajectory of the valve it stuck in a wall.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

#12 posted 03-02-2008 11:35 PM

Hopefully they will see these other complaints and do something about them too. If not I have the guys phone number and Email address so I’ll be glad to publish it if others are having the same problems. mike

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#13 posted 03-03-2008 01:11 AM

I need to buy a compressor for my shop and after reading this review I plan on looking at a Bostitch. Gary’s got my business. Thanks for the review.

Tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#14 posted 03-03-2008 01:01 PM

I like to send them their stuff back, whoever the manufacturer is. I send everything including attachments, copies of reciepts – everything. But you have to make sure you send it to the right person at the company. I tell them I don’t need it and it isn’t what it was marketed as. I might say something like, “I hope you don’t get laid off when everyone starts catching on to what a product this isn’t”. If I own other products from that company I let them know I plan to compare all of their products I own with others in the same market.
This usually gets the attention of someone way up in the company. And then butts start gettin’ kicked and heads start rollin’ until you have a company out of business or one re-built on trust and quality. Nobody likes it when you send them back their product and tell them the customer service is bad. I know if someone told me that about my work I would probably give them their money back and make it right!
Most members in the chain of command in any company take this kind of action very seriously, as did Gary at Bostich. He knows what could happen if an action like this should snowball – Corporate DEATH. No more perks, bonuses etc… it means resume time and possibly a step backward in a promising career.
This tactic got me an upgraded product from a company I’ll leave nameless and an ‘A’ for the semester in a marketing class I was taking at the time. In the end the score was Chuck 3 – Blank corp. 0! They paid for everything including shipping, tons of gift certificates an upgraded product and attachments for the product I never purchased. They continued to send me a couple of attachments so I could try them out and give a fair and honest product review!!!

Mike, I bet if you get a hold of the right person at Delta and asked him/her where do want me to ship this to? Then told them you are looking at JET you won’t get the same response you got from their rep in Tennessee. The best time to get ‘em is at a wood working tradeshow when lots of people are around. Or when their rep shows up at the local rotten orange. They have no choice but to listen then, especially if other customers are nearby!!!!!

-- --Chuck

View shaun's profile

shaun

#15 posted 03-03-2008 01:50 PM

Mike – I’m glad you got your issue resolved. To me, this speaks volumes for their organization. And kudos to Gary at Bostitch.

Gary, if your reading this, based on your actions resolving Mike’s issue I’m pretty sure you just earned another customer. Ill be shopping Bostitch first for my fastening needs.

Thanks for posting this Mike.

-- I've cut that board three times and it's still too short!