my new, old chisels

Review by Bill1225 posted 11-08-2011 09:50 PM 2873 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
my new, old chisels No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

well i was bored over the weekend and went yard saling and found a bunch of stanley 750’s with no handles got 18 total for $10.. they were in rough shape. so i cleaned them up made the blacks flats reground and turned new ash handles. spent a good 8 hrs all together making a 7 pcs set and all i can say is wow!!!!! i will never buy a new chisel again.If the backs didn’t have some minor pitting there would have been no need to lap the back. I cant say too much about edge retention but from my limited use they seem to hold an edge on par if not better then my two cherries. Well all i can say is I guess i found a new hobby the yard sale circut

View Bill1225's profile

Bill1225

View JimiThing's profile

JimiThing

#1 posted 11-08-2011 11:54 PM

dang! those sell for near 40 dollars (or more) a peice on ebay! great find! i am jealous!

-- Got Wood?

View Arminius's profile

Arminius

#2 posted 11-09-2011 12:22 AM

Yep, those are lifetime chisels. Very nice find.

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#3 posted 11-09-2011 12:37 AM

You suck! I mean that. :-)

What a great find. Now that you have your nice seven-piece set, you can sell the extras on ebay and get you some other tools. Nice looking handles, btw.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View Bill1225's profile

Bill1225

#4 posted 11-09-2011 12:47 AM

yeah im on the hunt for good hand tools i have tons of contractor type stuff but not many nice hand tools. really would like to have a large enough collection to make a nice tool cabinet

View meikou's profile

meikou

#5 posted 11-09-2011 01:34 AM

Nice find. All I ever see at yard sales is old crapsman chisels >:(

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#6 posted 11-09-2011 01:59 AM

nice find – old metal is a wonderful thing to come by, planes, chisels, and all. such higher quality in materials

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#7 posted 11-09-2011 05:58 AM

I have one or two of those and also the 720’s. They sharpen and hold an edge like nothing else. Great chisels. You will love them.

Doc

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#8 posted 11-09-2011 04:48 PM

”Nice find. All I ever see at yard sales is old crapsman chisels >:(”

Of course, a lot of those old craftsmans were made by Stanley, Buck Bros, et al. I’d love to find a nice set of vintage Craftsman socket chisels.
I only bring this up as a public service announcement. I got a vintage 12” Craftsman combo square thats every bit as nice as my Starrett. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if it were made by Starrett. Vintage Sears tools, in many cases, are pretty nice. And since they are often passed over by collectors, they are often pretty inexpensive too.
Just sayin.

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

#9 posted 11-11-2011 05:58 AM

I’d love to see before pics.

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

View taoist's profile

taoist

#10 posted 11-12-2011 01:55 AM

Congratulations on your find.
I haven’t used them yet but a few weeks ago I got a set of eight 2 Cherry chisels, at an auction, for $50.00. They even came with a roll case. You just have to keep your eyes open in your travels.