Affordable remote control for your Dust Collectors

Review by cajunpen posted 988 days ago 5209 views 3 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Affordable remote  control for your Dust Collectors No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Found this remote on Amazon.com while looking for a solution to outdoor Christmas lights, as the season is quickly approaching.

This unit is under $20 and comes with 2 controllable outlets – the remote control has two separate switches for each of the 2 controllers. I have 2 dust collectors in my shop – a 1 hp Delta and the small one from Rockler that hangs on the wall. I plugged them into the 2 controllers and Wallah!!! Works like a charm.

I HIGHLY recommend this as an economical solution to adding R/C to your dust collection.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

View Alongiron's profile

Alongiron

Thanks Bill

I have been looking to try one and I think this will work.

I am going to order one tonite!

-- Measure twice and cut once.....

View Bigrock's profile

Bigrock

Hi:
I just looked at this item. Please be warmed that the wiring is 14 Gage, which they are only good to 15 Amps including starting motor surge.
I liked them until I saw that.
Sorry

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

These do work pretty well. Clearvue packages one with their DC. It’s a different brand (Carlon – available at Ace Hardware). To get around the amperage issue, they use theirs to power a relay wired into the 220V for the motor.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

View jack1's profile

jack1

1907 posts in 2624 days

I like it!

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

111999 posts in 2173 days

Thanks Bill I use very similar units on my dust collectors they work great.

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

4930 posts in 1905 days

That seems like a good idea Bill. I have a 220v dust collector but these would be perfect for the air cleaners I built from some ols squirrel cage blowers.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work.

View dpop24's profile

dpop24

Hmm, no good for the 2 hp Harbor Freight DC as it sports a 20 amp motor…. boo! I was hoping to get away with a cheap secret! Great deal though, I may have to pick it up for some other toys.

-- If it ain't broke, take it apart and find out why

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

5378 posts in 2025 days

dpop,
I’ve had one similar (rated at 15 amps) on my HF DC for a couple years. Works great. An amp probe disclosed that my DC never peaked above 14 amp. YMMV, though.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Great tip Bill!

View Allanwoodworks's profile

Allanwoodworks

I too bought this set up for my dust collector. The problem that I had is that my Harbor freight 2hp dust collector is rated for 14 amps and this switch is only good for 8 amps. Take a look at the link below about the forum discussion we just had concerning this unit. It’s a great unit just make sure that you are not starving your equipment of power.

-- Ty, Up in Washington

View will delaney's profile

will delaney

Just picked up a remote control switch at HD. It’s 16 gauge,13 amp for $9.97. I have the HF 1hp 7 amp dust collector so it will work well. Thanks for the post Bill.

View jcwalleye's profile

jcwalleye

Here is a link to a 20Amp X10 outlet and a remote control unit. Total cost around $45. I’ve been using it on the HF 2hp collector for about a year now. Another plus to this remote is that it saves wear and tear on the HF switch which some have reported as failing.

The only caution I would add is to be sure to turn off the power switch at the collector before leaving the shop. I’ve had it turn on by itself and wouldn’t want that to happen when no one was around.

-- Trees, a wonderful gift --Joe--

View aturnis's profile

aturnis

Why not just install one of these hardwired remote controlled outlets? If all you need is 110V 20A, you’ve got it and you’re safe…also on Amazon(link), and just a few bucks more at $23.95

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Just want to add that I’ve been using this remote system for several weeks, every day, and have had absolutely NO problems with it. I guess most of you have a lot more powerful dust collectors than I do – but this works for me.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile (online now)

TopamaxSurvivor

I just took a look. It description says “8 Amps /125Volt /1000Watt 60Hz Tung.”

A 1 hp DC should draw about 16 amps running; starting, higher. Don’t be surprised if it goes away fairly quickly.