Affordable remote control for your Dust Collectors

Review by cajunpen posted 11-08-2011 04:20 AM 8408 views 3 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Affordable remote  control for your Dust Collectors No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Found this remote on Amazon.com while looking for a solution to outdoor Christmas lights, as the season is quickly approaching.

This unit is under $20 and comes with 2 controllable outlets – the remote control has two separate switches for each of the 2 controllers. I have 2 dust collectors in my shop – a 1 hp Delta and the small one from Rockler that hangs on the wall. I plugged them into the 2 controllers and Wallah!!! Works like a charm.

I HIGHLY recommend this as an economical solution to adding R/C to your dust collection.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

View Alongiron's profile

Alongiron

#1 posted 11-08-2011 04:30 AM

Thanks Bill

I have been looking to try one and I think this will work.

I am going to order one tonite!

-- Measure twice and cut once.....Steve Lien

View Bigrock's profile

Bigrock

269 posts in 1929 days

#2 posted 11-08-2011 04:59 AM

Hi:
I just looked at this item. Please be warmed that the wiring is 14 Gage, which they are only good to 15 Amps including starting motor surge.
I liked them until I saw that.
Sorry

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

#3 posted 11-08-2011 05:15 AM

These do work pretty well. Clearvue packages one with their DC. It’s a different brand (Carlon – available at Ace Hardware). To get around the amperage issue, they use theirs to power a relay wired into the 220V for the motor.

-- "A man may conduct himself well in both adversity and good fortune, but if you want to test his character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

View jack1's profile

jack1

1998 posts in 2994 days

#4 posted 11-08-2011 06:31 AM

I like it!

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

#5 posted 11-08-2011 06:34 AM

Thanks Bill I use very similar units on my dust collectors they work great.

View longgone's profile

longgone

#6 posted 11-08-2011 06:43 AM

That seems like a good idea Bill. I have a 220v dust collector but these would be perfect for the air cleaners I built from some ols squirrel cage blowers.

View dpop24's profile

dpop24

#7 posted 11-08-2011 09:10 AM

Hmm, no good for the 2 hp Harbor Freight DC as it sports a 20 amp motor…. boo! I was hoping to get away with a cheap secret! Great deal though, I may have to pick it up for some other toys.

-- If it ain't broke, take it apart and find out why

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

#8 posted 11-08-2011 02:47 PM

dpop,
I’ve had one similar (rated at 15 amps) on my HF DC for a couple years. Works great. An amp probe disclosed that my DC never peaked above 14 amp. YMMV, though.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#9 posted 11-08-2011 05:29 PM

Great tip Bill!

View Allanwoodworks's profile

Allanwoodworks

#10 posted 11-08-2011 08:18 PM

I too bought this set up for my dust collector. The problem that I had is that my Harbor freight 2hp dust collector is rated for 14 amps and this switch is only good for 8 amps. Take a look at the link below about the forum discussion we just had concerning this unit. It’s a great unit just make sure that you are not starving your equipment of power.

-- Ty, Up in Washington

View will delaney's profile

will delaney

#11 posted 11-09-2011 04:18 PM

Just picked up a remote control switch at HD. It’s 16 gauge,13 amp for $9.97. I have the HF 1hp 7 amp dust collector so it will work well. Thanks for the post Bill.

View jcwalleye's profile

jcwalleye

301 posts in 2040 days

#12 posted 11-10-2011 05:37 AM

Here is a link to a 20Amp X10 outlet and a remote control unit. Total cost around $45. I’ve been using it on the HF 2hp collector for about a year now. Another plus to this remote is that it saves wear and tear on the HF switch which some have reported as failing.

The only caution I would add is to be sure to turn off the power switch at the collector before leaving the shop. I’ve had it turn on by itself and wouldn’t want that to happen when no one was around.

-- Trees, a wonderful gift --Joe--

View aturnis's profile

aturnis

#13 posted 11-11-2011 06:14 AM

Why not just install one of these hardwired remote controlled outlets? If all you need is 110V 20A, you’ve got it and you’re safe…also on Amazon(link), and just a few bucks more at $23.95

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#14 posted 11-11-2011 06:51 PM

Just want to add that I’ve been using this remote system for several weeks, every day, and have had absolutely NO problems with it. I guess most of you have a lot more powerful dust collectors than I do – but this works for me.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#15 posted 11-19-2011 09:19 AM

I just took a look. It description says “8 Amps /125Volt /1000Watt 60Hz Tung.”

A 1 hp DC should draw about 16 amps running; starting, higher. Don’t be surprised if it goes away fairly quickly.

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence