Tenryu GM-25540-2 Gold Medal 10" 40T General Purpose Saw Blade (Full kerf)

Review by Allanwoodworks posted 994 days ago 3452 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tenryu GM-25540-2 Gold Medal 10" 40T General Purpose Saw Blade (Full kerf) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Wow, is all I can say about this product. I did not see a review for the Full Kerf version her on the site and just wanted to add my two cents.

I finally decided that it’s time to upgrade my table saw blade for my 3HP grizzly cabinet saw. For the past year I have been using a Irwin 40 tooth Marathon blade and it did wall, at least that what I thought. I have a Woodmizer saw mill and dry my own lumber, so I try to make everything 8/4 and as large as possible so that I can cut it down to size later to what I will need for the project. Well I was cutting a large board that was 8/4 figured maple and the Irwin blade heated up so much that not only did it burn the wood the saw blade actually warped! I shut the saw down and walked away.

So I decided that it’s time to step up the plate and get a good blade. I looked at all of the high end saw blades and two stood out to me, the Forest WWII and the Tenryu Gold. I wanted a Full Kerf saw and actually purchased the WWII off Amazon.com for a good price. After 2 weeks of the product still has not shipped, so I canceled and went to Tenryu. I really wanted to go with the Forrest product because it’s made in the US and that is a big selling point to me, but I also want to do some woodworking sometime in the near future and if there on back order that doesn’t work for me.

I received my Tenryu blade and Wow, I thought my old blade cut good and once I ran a piece of 8/4 maple with the Tenryu blade I feel like I was forcing the wood through with the old blade. This thing cuts like a hot knife through butter! The cuts are so smooth with no tear out. I am using a zero clearance insert that was new and cut with this blade. I have to say thanks to Marc Spagnolo (Thewoodwhisperer.com) for his review of this blade and was a big part of my sway from the WWII to the Tenryu. Hope this helps anyone that is interested in buying one of these.

-- Ty, Up in Washington

View Allanwoodworks's profile

Allanwoodworks

View Charles Maxwell's profile

Charles Maxwell

I am also using the Tenryu blade that I found in an off-the-road hardwood shop 3 years ago. I haven’t sharpened it yet! It’s hands down the best blade I have, even amongst the brand name blades. My only complaint is that the hardwood shop no longer carries them!

-- Max the "night janitor" at www.hardwoodclocks.com

View maljr1980's profile

maljr1980

probably one of the best blades on the market. it will eat up a cmt or forrest blade any day of the week

View rum's profile

rum

Also super happy with tenryu blades. I relatively recently got a 10” combo, a 10” crosscut and a 12” rip blade from Tenryu and have been really happy with both the cut quality and the noise level on all three.

View bill merritt's profile

bill merritt

Can they be sharpened ? and did you get the thin kerf blade?

-- bill merritt

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

5399 posts in 2027 days

My Skil worm drive, table saw and CSMS all sport Tenryu blades.
Bought the first one on the advice of the guy who sharpens mine.
They are fantastic blades.

View Allanwoodworks's profile

Allanwoodworks

Bill,

I got the full kerf only.

-- Ty, Up in Washington

View Rickfisher's profile

Rickfisher

I have the exact same blade on my TS and its by far the finest blade I own. Prior to its use I had a Forrest WWII installed.. I got the Tenryu when the Forrest was off being sharpened..

The Tenryu was supposed to be the back up blade but the opposite has happened. The forrest is in the drawer.

Tenryu also makes a 24 tooth heavy blade which is equally as impressive.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5369 posts in 1974 days

Nice write up. I’ve had two of the former 0.111” mid-kerf Gold Medal blades and thought they great….holds its own against the WWII, TS2000, DeWalt DW7657, etc., but if I’m being honest, I don’t think it was superior to other top shelf 40T blades. The Infinity Super General leaves noticeably cleaner cuts than any other 40T blade I’ve used to date….I can identify wood that’s cut by the Super General by glancing at the polished edge it leaves. It’s much harder to differentiate the cut quality from the others that I mentioned.

Am I the only one who thinks the Irwin Marathon blades are mediocre at best? Irwin cancelled their “Woodworker” series of blades that were excellent….made by Leitz in Germany. At comparable price points I think there are better performers…namely Freud Diablo, the former Freud Avanti series, DeWalt Precision Trim, CMT ITK Plus, Onsrud (owned and made by Leitz….Ebay has some great closeout deals on these).

View mbs's profile

mbs

I too have the gold series blade and I love it. I haven’t hears of the Super General before. This blade will last me for a long time.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.