Dewalt 788 Scroll Saw

Review by moonls posted 10-30-2011 05:23 PM 6632 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt 788 Scroll Saw Dewalt 788 Scroll Saw Dewalt 788 Scroll Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’d been using my Craftsman 16” scroll saw off and on since 2003, and recently, with a renewed interest in scroll work, I started trying to improve my skill. I was becoming frustrated with keeping the very small pinless blades secured in the holders and maintaining proper tension. The other big problem was vibration.

Having researched the different saws on the market, it became apparent that the Dewalt was the best rated of the bunch in my price range. I ordered one on-line and received it within a week’s time. It only required bolting the table to the saw. Then I mounted the saw on the table that I’d been using. Immediately I found it a pleasure to use! Every positive thing I’d read was true: Solid and ample sized table, blades easy to mount and secure, convenient tension and speed controls, and minimal vibration! I was also happy to see (using my Wixey) how accurate the indicator is for table tilt. The collapsing basket I’ve shown needed a 3 degree tilt, a very thin blade and lots of steady cutting! I know I’d not have been able to make this on my old saw.

There is no dust collection port on the machine but I found that making a bracket for my vac hose set up to draw from under the table helps somewhat to keep the dust under control. This doesn’t count as a big negative to me.
I also ordered the stand that is designed for it but have yet to set it up. It requires bolting to the concrete floor and I’m not sure where and if I want to permanently locate it.

Finally I would definitely recommend this saw to anyone who plans to do much scroll work!

View patron's profile

patron

13034 posts in 1995 days

#1 posted 10-30-2011 05:31 PM

perhaps bolting the stand to a piece of ply
that you can also stand on
or sit at a stool
on the ply
will give the stability you want
and can still be movable

great basket !

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#2 posted 10-30-2011 05:47 PM

Nice review Lorna. I’m glad you are pleased with your purchase. Nice job on the dust collection retrofit and that is indeed a great looking basket.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2570 posts in 2086 days

#3 posted 10-30-2011 05:48 PM

Great review. Glad the difference in performance is evident so quickly.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Mike's profile

Mike

#4 posted 10-30-2011 06:01 PM

it’s the best scroll saw that I have ever used.

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.termitecrafts.com

#5 posted 10-30-2011 08:16 PM

Thanks for the tip David. I’m going to give that a try as soon as I take a break from scrolling!

View Elizabeth's profile

Elizabeth

#6 posted 10-30-2011 10:40 PM

Great review. I have this saw and I like it a lot. FWIW, I have the stand too and it’s sturdy enough for scrolling without bolting it down to the floor. Haven’t tried it with very large or heavy projects; maybe it’d make a difference then.

By the way, the least expensive place I’ve seen to buy this saw is Grizzly.com. For $500 you get the saw, stand and light – Item number H7414. It’s where I got mine.

View canadianmajar's profile

canadianmajar

#7 posted 10-30-2011 11:47 PM

Thanks the review. I also have this saw, I find it’s got enough weight and runs smooth enough that I often just set it on the bench. When had it bolted to the stand it was also very stable, because of the 3 leg design on the stand. If you wanted extra stability you could always put something heavy on the lower rails of the stand.

-- J

#8 posted 10-31-2011 01:45 AM

Thanks for the tips on the stand Elizabeth and canadianmajar. I may just try your suggestions first and save the plywood if it isn’t necessary.

View woody57's profile

woody57

645 posts in 2081 days

#9 posted 10-31-2011 02:29 AM

I have that saw and stand. I don’t have the saw bolted to the stand or the stand to the floor. I’ve used it this way for 6 yrs with no problems. I like being able to move it around easily.

-- Emmett, from Georgia

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

#10 posted 10-31-2011 08:10 AM

I also have the saw and stand, and it is not bolted down. I have to move it around because of the size of my shop, and I don’t think that bolting it down will help in any way as it is so vibrates so little.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View jerrells's profile

jerrells

#11 posted 10-31-2011 02:34 PM

I don have that saw – YET!! I want it and IF the money were available I would have it.

-- Just learning the craft my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ practiced.

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

#12 posted 11-01-2011 06:46 AM

I have that exact same saw, stand, light, the whole works…...I’ve never used it, and only turned it on a couple of times….I’ve never sawed one piece of wood with it…...It sits in my shop collecting dust….Biggest waste of money I’ve ever spent on a tool. Thought I might need it to do some light cuts, etc…..Never happened….I wish I could sell it…..I’ve had it for 3-4 years, and it’s like brand new…..It just takes up space in the shop…..Wish I would have never bought it…...I’m not a scroller, and never cared for it…...boring..!!

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2570 posts in 2086 days

#13 posted 11-01-2011 12:43 PM

Gee Rick… thanks for sharing that… it was really helpful. (sarcastically)

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

7011 posts in 1957 days

#14 posted 11-01-2011 03:30 PM

hey there lorna, it sounds like you have gotten a good saw, i know a lot of wood workers who have that saw and there really happy with it, i know scroll saw work takes patience and the work that i usually see comes from talented wood workers..i know you mentioned that it was a good saw for its price range, ive had good results with yellow tools and many who have also, thanks for the review, i love the basket…it looks like something my sister would love to have, i think i shall add it to my to do list…good review….grizzman

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

#15 posted 11-01-2011 04:47 PM

ellen36,

I’m sorry if I sounded sarcastic about the saw…I was telling the truth about it….I didn’t mean to come off that way. That’s just my feelings on purchasing the saw, and felt it was a waste of my money….I was just saying that this saw was not for me..I’m not saying that everybody should pass on it, cause it’s a good saw. It does run very smooth and is quiet, and for a scroller it will be a good investment…it’s just not for me….I can’t sit on a stool and do that…..it’s too hard on my back…....

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......