Rockler Power Air Respirator

Review by Dick, & Barb Cain posted 2342 days ago 15695 views 2 times favorited 36 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Power Air Respirator Rockler Power Air Respirator Rockler Power Air Respirator Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wanted a respirator that I could wear all by itself.

I didn’t want to contend with any head gear.

I have used regular dust masks over the years, but after wearing them for awhile,

it takes a lot more effort to breath.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After seeing this one in Rockler I ordered one.

It’s surprising how that little built in fan helps in your breathing, & it keeps your face cool.

The fan is very quiet, & it runs on 4 AA batteries. (Notice the battery pack on his waist.)

After trying it for awhile, I was so satisfied with it, I ordered another for my son.

He installs, & refinishes floors, so he has used his everyday on the job since last May, 2007.

I asked him today how he liked it, & he said he won’t work without.

The only thing that he didn’t care for was the band that goes over the head has little knobs that feel like needles

poking in his head, but that can be remedied.

I haven’t used mine as much as he has, but I believe he’s telling me the truth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I recommend this respirator, & the price isn’t too bad either.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Good review Dick. Where do the batteries go? Does it have a wire attached? Is that what I see attached
to the guys hip in the picture?

Dick, & Barb Cain

That’s the battery pack on his belt, it takes 4 AA batteries.

View Bill's profile

Bill

Thanks for the review Dick. It sounds like a respirator I should look in to.

How does it feel while wearing your glasses? It looks like it rides up the nose quite a bit.

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

Dick, & Barb Cain

Bill, in my picture I may have had it adjusted a little high. It’s something a person has to get used to.

It doesn’t seem to bother my Son, & he has a smaller face than me.

One thing, the fresh air feels good.

I think it should work with a beard, because of the positive fan pressure.

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

Hi Dick

This sure looks like the respirator to have. After breathing saw dust all of these years I seem to cough a lot more than I used to around saw dust. I like the idea of the fan to keep your face cooler when wearing. How bad is it on battery useage?

Tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19326 posts in 2455 days

Looks good to me Dick, particularly the fan cooling in humid climes. I would be interested in the battery life as well. do you have any information on that?.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View David's profile

David

1970 posts in 2742 days

Dick -

This is a very timely review as I have been looking into a good dust respirator. I always value your judgment.

David

-- http://foldingrule.blogspot.com

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

looks good.. enjoy the fresher air

-- making sawdust....

Dick, & Barb Cain

To tell you the truth, I have never worn it long enough to run down the batteries completely.

I’ll ask my son how long they last for him.

If you read the reviews on Rockler, one fellow says he gets 4 hours on a charge.

I have learned something, when I buy batteries for my camera, I now buy the NiMH battery with the highest mAhr. rating, so when buying batteries, look at the rating in the small print on the battery. It’s worth paying a little extra for a higher rated battery.

From Wikipedia: NiMH battery can have two to three times the capacity of an equivalent size NiCd. However, compared to the lithium-ion battery, the volumetric energy density is lower and self-discharge is higher.

Common AA batteries (penlight-size) have nominal charge capacities© ranging from 1100 mA·hr to 2900 mA·hr at 1.2 V

If you want all of the battery info. on Wikipedia, click here.

View sharad's profile

sharad

Very nice review of an important device to keep dust entering lungs. What is the cost of the respirator?
Sharad

-- “If someone feels that they had never made a mistake in their life, then it means they have never tried a new thing in their life”.-Albert Einstein

Dick, & Barb Cain

Click here, for the prices.

It’s $62.99, the extra filters are shown on Rockler.

My Son has used his mask for almost a year now, & hasn’t needed to change the cartridge yet.

View jockmike2's profile

jockmike2

Looks like a good idea Dick. If I get my Lathe going I definately will get me one. mike

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -

Dick, & Barb Cain

I forgot to mention, that it works the same as a regular respirator when the batteries are dead.

It’s takes a little more effort to breath though. A person gets used to the fan.

View PanamaJack's profile

PanamaJack

Thanks for this review Dick. A job well done. I’m going to order one soon.

-- Carpe Lignum; Tornare Lignum (Seize the wood, to Turn the wood)

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Do you have any problem wearing glasses or ear muffs?

I recently tried the Trend Face shield and it made wearing glasses difficult and ear muffs impossible.