Upgrade for my Delta Shopmaster 9" Bandsaw

Review by webbtoyota posted 10-29-2011 09:29 PM 4969 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Upgrade for my Delta Shopmaster 9" Bandsaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review so bear with me if it’s not as clear and concise as others.

I have a Delta Shopmaster bandsaw and I have absolutely hated using it in the past. I was just about ready to get rid of it until I ran into this website and heard about people “upgrading” the bandsaw with a decent blade and cool blocks. I decided to try this route before I put it up for sale. I just recently purchased a new Olson 1/4” 6 tpi blade and a set of cool blocks (about $30 bucks total). I got everything installed and went through the proper setup and tuning.

I am extremely happy with this new blade and set of cool blocks. They have turned this saw from a piece of junk into something I can actually utilize in my shop. I’m not saying it can replace a 14” or something like that but I think it has it’s place.

The blade cuts pretty well, not perfect but not to bad. It’s definitely way better than the stock blade. The cool blocks had to be modified slightly to fit my unit but it was pretty easy to do with a set of pliers and a grinding wheel.

Overall I would recommend the cool blocks and blade to anybody who has this particular bandsaw. It’s definitely an upgrade and will make the saw worth using.

View webbtoyota's profile

webbtoyota

View Howie's profile

Howie

#1 posted 10-30-2011 02:01 AM

My Dad gave me one of these saws because he “never could get it to work right” I took it home got the book out,tuned it up to spec and replaced the blade. I use it almost everyday and it works fine. Won’t replace my GO555X but then it wasn’t supposed to.
Enjoy your saw.

-- Life is good.

View jim C's profile

jim C

#2 posted 10-30-2011 10:43 PM

I bought one and tuned it like Howie did. It’s my go to bandsaw when I’m making small parts for Whirligigs.
It has it’s place for small work.
My regular bandsaw is a Jet.

View woodnewbee's profile

woodnewbee

#3 posted 10-31-2011 10:43 PM

I gotta quit noticing those little things like did you see that both responses have duct tape in their by line. hmmmm. Will try good blade in my cheap saw.

View jim C's profile

jim C

#4 posted 10-31-2011 10:56 PM

Great minds think alike

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#5 posted 11-01-2011 05:23 AM

Delta 9 inch was my first BS. I actually made some hard wood block guides for it, bough a good blade like you did and that little sucker even resawed 3-4 inch read oak if I went slow.

That is a good little tool and I’m glad you are enjoying it. Thanks for the review, it will help others.

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#6 posted 11-01-2011 07:28 PM

I have one of these saws and use it quite a bit. It sounds like this is a performance upgrade I’ll want to try. Thanks!

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"