Clean dados in framing lumber - 1 star off for instructions

Review by Makai posted 10-29-2011 08:24 PM 4411 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Clean dados in framing lumber - 1 star off for instructions Clean dados in framing lumber - 1 star off for instructions Clean dados in framing lumber - 1 star off for instructions Click the pictures to enlarge them

Aloha Lumberjocks! This is my first review and my first stacked Dado set. Bought this set for a fencing project with too many cuts for the “move the fence” technique. I visited the local Home Depot, Lowes, Woodcraft, and shopped Amazon.

Woodcraft had the Forrest and Freud “dial a dado” sets, but $350 was more than I wanted to spend. I decided to get the Freud SD-208 which had good reviews here on Lumberjocks. Lowes didn’t carry it but Home Depot had something close, Diablo DD-208. It looked the same, but was priced at $115.00. Amazon had the SD-208 set for $95.00, but it was Friday and I wanted to get started the next day so I bought it.

As a weekend warrior whose day job is not woodworking, I was put off a bit by the instruction set, the single paragraph of text was very brief and couldn’t have been larger than a 8-point font. The diagram showing how to stack the blades, spacers, and shims didn’t match the shims that were included. Trial and error, my tape measure, and two test cuts got the width right. While I knew the storage case was open when I bought it, I would have liked a closed storage case like the Delta, lots of salt air where I live.

The reviews I read indicate the difference between the SD-208 and DD-208 is that the Home Depot Diablo version has “Permashield non-stick coating”. Maybe that’s just the red paint, can’t confirm that. And when most everything is made in Asia, the set I bought says “Made in Italy”.

The set cut the 50 feet of 23/32” dado I needed quite well, blades are sharp, no missing teeth, square shoulders and smooth bottom. Very happy with the business end of the product. Don’t cut hardwoods very often so I can’t review that use, but four stars for this purchase.

Alan

lulz @ 1 star off for instructions

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#2 posted 10-30-2011 05:18 AM

What-the, Diablo has dado set now?

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View schuft's profile

schuft

#3 posted 10-31-2011 09:11 PM

Good review, thanks!

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

#4 posted 10-31-2011 09:19 PM

I have this set and have used it for a few years on all types of wood. It does a great job. I found the chart to be very useful except that the spacers aren’t marked. But I’m not sure how they’d do it. I used a caliper to determine which was which. One thickness was blued steel. They can’t be painted because this would peel and you can’t stamp or even etch an identifier on them because this would change the thickness. I just keep them in small ziplocs with the thicknesses marked on the bags. But, all in all, I’d give them about four stars like you.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#5 posted 11-01-2011 09:19 PM

All dado cutters, whether single or dual wobble sets, as well as stacked sets, require trial and error to get the cut width correct. Since even sheet goods, as well as lumber you thickness-planed yourself, will have variations in thickness, the ability to pre-select your exact width requirement is generally not achievable without going inside and fine-tuning your initial set-up. Heck, more than once I’ve used sheets of sandpaper with a 5/8” hole torn out of the middle as a shim to get that precise- fit on a conspicuous joint. Somebody should invent a dado system for the table saw that automatically sizes itself to the thickness of your stock.

View Douger's profile

Douger

#6 posted 01-18-2012 05:55 AM

I’ve got the Freud Diablo dado set, and it is my understanding that just using the two “main” blades (inner and outer) together should give you a quarter-inch dado. When I was setting up to cut some box joints, I discovered that the cut was pretty significantly smaller than a quarter-inch. I don’t recall seeing anything in the instructions that indicated that you need to use a shim for a quarter-inch cut. Anyone else seen this issue?

(And yes, I did check to make sure I had the correct blade facing in/out, etc.)

Thanks, Doug in Kansas