I asked for Vinnie Jones but they gave me Gary Lineker...

Review by 404 - Not Found posted 10-29-2011 02:32 AM 4159 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I asked for Vinnie Jones but they gave me Gary Lineker... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just burned out my 12 year old green Bosch 5” ROS, and found myself in dire need of another to finish off edging a floor.
Head full of “will I buy the cheapest one?/will I buy a decent one?” on the way to the tool shop. Still undecided I had a look at all on display.
I explained that I wanted something with a dual personality, something that would breeze through floor edging when required, yet show a bit of restraint for sanding cabinets. Having discounted the Bosch, Makita, Dewalt, Hitachi and AEG, the pimply shop assistant presented the Metabo saying “This is an animal…” “long life motor and bearings” “dual orbit settings” “Turbo boost” – all the things I wanted to hear.
It certainly felt good to hold, a good but not excessive weight, very comfortable and well balanced, big port on the back for dust extraction, plus I’d read good reviews of this before.
Quick read of the manual and all set to go, turned it on – didn’t take long to get that sinking feeling of “It’s not doing what I want it to do”.
Now here’s the thing, even though it didn’t perform the edging task as well as the expired Bosch, it is an absolute delight of a sander to work with. Quiet, dustless, no vibration. I like this sander a lot, and I anticipate getting years of service from it.
In fairness, the benchmark I was setting for floor edging performance was based upon the Bosch, which was a beast – and often untamable. Maybe the difference is the disc size – the 6” diameter of the Metabo having nearly 50% more surface area than the 5”.
The turbo switch does seem to be a bit of a gimmick, why didn’t they just make a speed selector with ‘7’ on it, but everything else, including the 4m soft rubberised flex, is just great.

and for those who don’t know, Vinnie is the guy on the left.

View 404 - Not Found's profile

404 - Not Found

View jim C's profile

jim C

#1 posted 10-29-2011 03:32 AM

Gotta ask, why didn’t you get another Bosch after 12 years of faithful service?
I’ve never had a Bosch tool I didn’t like or didn’t serve me well.

View meikou's profile

meikou

#2 posted 10-29-2011 07:47 PM

I had to laugh at the Jones vs Lineker comment

View sawdustphill's profile

sawdustphill

#3 posted 10-29-2011 11:10 PM

I have this same sander , used it for several years now very reliable
hooked up to my porter cable tool triggered shop vac and it is virtually dust free.
thanks for the review