Great stones!

Review by slickSqueegie posted 10-28-2011 01:57 PM 3616 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great stones! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

These are excellent stones. I use them all the time.
Initial sharpening and lapping on your chisels and plane irons is time consuming, but extremely rewarding.
These stones are large and the case for the stones doubles as a holder that wont slide around.

a lot of people out there use the “scary sharp” tequnique, and they swear by it. now I know why.
They dont have any stones! these stones are just as fast as sandpaper but I think I get a better hone with these.

anyone who uses chisels, or planes should pick these up!

-- Come check out more of my projects at http://www.mdwoodart.com

View slickSqueegie's profile

slickSqueegie

View Porchfish's profile

Porchfish

#1 posted 10-28-2011 07:19 PM

I too have used Norton water stones for sharpening my carving tools. I recently switched back to a Japanese water stone because I found the Bester/Imanishi ceramic water stones actually cut faster and polish with a mirror luster with about 1/3 the number of strokes. Being an old fart with little energy to waste , I found the extra cost (about 10 to 20% higher depending on the stones ) worth it for me. I also like the idea of a single stone rather than combinations, because it is too easy to cross-contaminate with combination stones, but to each his own ! I love the finish and haven’t had to use the diamond lap stone to flatten them out yet, even though I have been sharpening some pretty deep gouges for four months now. Whichever you settle on, King stones for price and durability, Norton for speed, or the cadillac Imanishi , water stones rule !!

-- If it smells good, eat it ! The pig caught under the fence is the one doing all thesquealing

View kansas's profile

kansas

#2 posted 10-29-2011 03:27 AM

I just bought the Norton stones and have used them on one new Hock plane blade and a few Buck chisels. It took a lot longer than I expected to sharpen the blade for the plane but it was new from the package and cryo hardened. The Norton directions said to start with the 1000 for a new blade but next time I think I’ll start with the 220. Chisels (already flat and sharpened previously) went much faster. I am a novice at sharpening but the results are the best I’ve gotten so far. Took the hair right off my arm. I have the 220, 1000, 4000, 8000 all as separate stones.

View sawdustphill's profile

sawdustphill

#3 posted 10-29-2011 10:57 PM

I just bought the same norton waterstone set from sharpening supplies .com
these things give amazing results.they need to be flattened with the flattening stone before using.
the 1000 grit and the 8000 grit were not flat out of the box I found this out the hard way. I used a veritas
honing guide and sharpened a lie-nelson block plane and 5 bench chisels , i got straight razor sharpness
I agree anyone using chisels and hand planes should pick these up.
Phillip from Ky.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#4 posted 11-19-2011 09:32 AM

I have a set and think they are the best way to sharpen a fine edge. Other methods get you close ;-))