Meets my needs

Review by Vrtigo1 posted 10-27-2011 12:41 AM 2839 views 2 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Meets my needs No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased an HVLP system and wanted to buy a respirator to go with it to avoid inhaling the atomized overspray. I went with the 3M 7500 because Marc (The Wood Whisperer) did a segment on his podcast about respirators in which he recommended it.

I purchased the bare respirator with no filters, then added a set of the P100 filters. The resiprator is quite lightweight and isn’t a nuisance to have on your face, which I think is important because is your safety gear is a hassle to use, you won’t use it. I wear glasses and was initially worried that the respirator would interfere with them where it covers my nose, but thankfully it does not.

As far as the filtration, it seems to be good but I don’t really have any way to quantitatively measure this, and since this is the only respirator I’ve used, I don’t have anything to compare it against. However, I will say that before when I used to cut MDF, I felt like I needed to hold my breath to avoid breathing in all the fine dust , now I can breathe normally and the dust doesn’t bother me. The straps are a little itchier than I’d like, I think they could’ve used a different material to make it more comfortable for long term use, and that’s primarily why I’m only giving it four stars.

As far as breathing with the respirator on, I do notice that it takes more effort to breathe, and I have to breathe a bit deeper to feel like I’m getting enough air, but again coming back to the fact that I have no point of comparison, I would imagine that this is probably the same with any respirator.

View Vrtigo1's profile

Vrtigo1

View will delaney's profile

will delaney

#1 posted 10-27-2011 01:09 AM

A very necessary piece of equipment. . It’s good to find a respirator that’s not a hassle to use. This insures that you use it. Thanks for posting this review.

View amagineer's profile

amagineer

#2 posted 10-27-2011 02:26 AM

I just purchased the same respirator and find it so much better then the paper ones. It also doesn’t fog my glasses and keeps about 95% of dust out of my nose.

-- Flaws are only in the eye of the artisan!

View taoist's profile

taoist

#3 posted 10-27-2011 03:29 AM

If you can smell what your spraying with the HVLP gun then it isn’t sealing properly, or you don’t have the correct cartridges, if not you’re good to go.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#4 posted 10-27-2011 03:59 AM

I just used HVLP for the first time on a project and I agree the regular masks just don’t cut it… How do you determine which size (s /m / l) you need?

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#5 posted 10-27-2011 04:06 AM

Most people need a medium.
I have the 6211 and like it, but want the 7500 as I’ve heard it’s more comfortable.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View djwong's profile

djwong

143 posts in 1972 days

#6 posted 10-27-2011 05:21 AM

I have the same 7500 respirator. It works very well for me, but I find it a little uncomfortable. I need to adjust the straps tightly to create a good seal on my face, but the mask always feels like it is slipping off my nose. I use the P100 and organic vapor filters. The organic vapor filters only last a short while once you open them from their package. I store them in ziplock bags to try to get extra life out of them.

-- David W. Cupertino, CA

View Vrtigo1's profile

Vrtigo1

#7 posted 10-27-2011 05:51 AM

Chris, I think the size is a bit of trial and error unless there is a local retailer near you where you can actually try them out. In my case I went with large and it fits very well. I am 6’4” though, so it was a pretty easy choice for me. I would guess it probably goes by height/weight, I would say if you are under 5’10” and less than maybe 160 lbs then maybe you should try the medium. I think small is probably mainly for women. For all I know 3M has fit guidelines available somewhere, so it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to do some research.

David, I agree, I have to snug the straps up pretty tight to get a good seal and that was primarily what I was referring to when I said the straps were a bit uncomfortable. I think if they used a padded strap it would have been a 5 star review.

View dougw181's profile

dougw181

#8 posted 10-27-2011 06:51 AM

I recently started selling safety equipment so when I purchased an Earlex 5500 HVLP system I asked my coworker what type of respirator I should use. He suggested a 3M model 53P71 disposable respirator. It is rated for Organic/VaporP95, paint and pesticide use. It is a dual cartridge with an exhale valve which makes it very to breathe in. If stored in a Ziplock bag, it can be used for many projects. When breathing becomes labored, or you start to smell what your are spraying just dispose of it and get another. I am going to invest in a better unit with replaceable cartridges when I start taking on more projects. Until then, this unit works great for around $30. The regular N95 dust mask do nothing towards filtering harmful fumes from finishes. So far I have about 12 hours of spraying and cutting plywood and MDF and it is still letting me breathe with no effort with out any respiratory problems. I highly recomend using this respirator until you decide if you need a professional model or just something for the occasional project.

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

#9 posted 10-27-2011 07:44 AM

I thought those P100 filters were only for particulates in the air (ie. wood dust), but didn’t stop fumes? For fumes, I think you need the filters that used carbon.

-- Charles from California

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#10 posted 10-27-2011 08:19 AM

ya i found that ganahl’s lumber sells the 7500 and i bought it there although it was a couple bucks more than online. I found out there that i actually needed a large and im kinda a small guy. home depot also sells a pack of those p100 filters which is awesome. i love having things i can acquire without the internet.

djwong & Vrtigo1i think you bought the wrong size. mine will like stick to my face without the straps pretty much. my straps are only as tight as to take up the slack pretty much.
you should do a seal test by holding the inlet valves with your palms (with no canister) and breathing in also try breathing out with the outlet covered

i love this respirator, i have had a few and this is the best by far. while no respirator is unnoticeable when wearing for long periods this thing comes close.

anyone else wash there respirator? i wash mine if i used it all day, you can take the whole thing apart really easily.

-- Ben L

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#11 posted 10-27-2011 11:00 AM

I don’t bother; I only use it when spraying finish.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View 747DRVR's profile

747DRVR

#12 posted 10-27-2011 01:18 PM

It has already been mentioned but I just wanted to reiterate that the P100 pink filters are not for spraying.They are only for dust.Make sure you get a carbon cartridge to spray.

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

#13 posted 10-27-2011 01:52 PM

I agree! It’s a great respirator. The P100 filters don’t gum up with saw dust as fast as other respirators I’ve used so it remains easy to breathe throughout its life. And I can’t smell any varnish fumes when using the carbon filters. It forms a nice tight seal on your face yet I don’t mind wearing it for extended periods of time.

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

#14 posted 10-27-2011 03:29 PM

Make sure you use the appropriate filter for the whatever task you are doing is key. If you are just dealing with dust, a HEPA filter is fine. If you are painting for doing something else that involves vapors then you need a filter that will stop the fumes/vapors. Just FYI, a HEPA filter generally becomes useless if it gets wet/damp, they also will filter quite well for a long time, I normally notice a restriction when inhaling and then change out the filters for new ones. The filters that remove vapor can do a really good job, but they have a shorter lifespan. Also remember to still work in a well ventilated area, if vapor level get to high then there maybe less oxygen available for you to breath. These only filter air, they don’t create it. Read the instructions that came with the filter and the mask, no sense in wearing a respirator and not have it function properly. I usually buy the filters that do it all, HEPA and organic vapors, they are a little more expensive and bulkier but then I don’t have to change filters.

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

#15 posted 10-27-2011 10:06 PM

Thanks for the review. I have always used the metal cartridge style respirators, but they are heavy and bulky. I will check these out.
Thanks again.