Sharpen your mortise chisels

Review by Karson posted 03-01-2008 09:11 PM 5073 views 2 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sharpen your mortise chisels No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Rockler and others have this tool to sharpen your mortise chisels. Trust me they don’t come sharpl

Lee Vally has just the sharpening cones for $7.95 a better buy than Rockler.

It’s a cone with diamond sharpening grits on the edge. The picture doesn’t show but it does come with 2 grit sizes, course and fine. I placed the diamond cone in my drill press and lightly brought it into the inside of the mortise chisel Ligntly do that until you get all edges of the chisel sharpened. the go to the fine and do the same. I hold the chisel in my hand, resting the shank of it on the table surface. Once you have done that then use some fine sharpening stone, sandpaper to lightly flatten the burs that will probably be on the outside edge of the chisel. The reviews that I’ve seen state that you don’t need to get the same kind of edge that you put on our chisels and planes.

It does make a difference and it might only need to be done once or twice in your lifetime depending on how much you use them.

Well recomended.

#1 posted 03-01-2008 09:38 PM

Thanks Karson,

I have been looking at one of these and wondered how well they worked. I don’t use my mortiser that often but I like the chisels to be sharp. If I am not mistaken I believe I have put this on my wish list at Rockler and I have some rewards dollars to burn. Sounds like a purchase is in order to me.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#2 posted 03-01-2008 10:36 PM

My mortising chisel were extra sharp when I bought them, & I haven’t had the need to sharpen them yet.

Thanks Karson, I’ll keep this in mind though.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#3 posted 03-02-2008 02:39 AM

These are really handy if you use your mortising chisel much. It’s always good to keep a good edge on them. I would recommend checking out Lee Valley. The world of the internet will save you a lot of money. Lee Valley sells the sharpening cones for almost a 3rd of Rockler. Rockler and Woodcraft will bust your bank account in a hurry. I have to depend on buying on the internet, because there’s nothing close. If you look up No Where, Texas, I’m right in the middle of it :]

#4 posted 03-02-2008 03:10 AM

You are right Lee Valley has the sharpening cones for 7.95

Thanks for the info

Updated with some new price info.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#5 posted 03-02-2008 06:30 AM

These companies are going to start looking at LJ’s to compare prices.

#6 posted 03-02-2008 06:46 AM

I hope you are right Dick. We do have a formattable base of buying power here.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19562 posts in 2539 days

#7 posted 03-02-2008 07:06 AM

Nothing like a bit of competition.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

-- making sawdust....

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#9 posted 03-02-2008 03:14 PM

companies are silly if they aren’t following the LumberJocks discussions—lots of ideas and concerns posted here

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#10 posted 03-02-2008 10:23 PM

Thanks for the tips.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#11 posted 03-03-2008 09:37 AM

I’ve bought several sets of mortising chisels, and I can tell you there is a big difference between brands.

What I can’t tell you is the company I finally got very good chisels from. All I remember is they were much more money, but proved to be well worth it.

Lee

#12 posted 03-03-2008 04:53 PM

Lee and others Woodworking magazine Issue 7 had a review of mortising chisels. Back issues are available and also electric copies.

View bbrown's profile

bbrown

#13 posted 04-24-2013 11:51 AM

The drill bit snapped in my 1/4 inch Delta mortising chisel (using on curly maple). I cannot seem to find a bit anywhere – I only need the inner bit, not the outer chisel part. There must be a source of good quality bits somewhere.

Secondly, as a follow-up to this old thread – there is a big range of price for hollow chisel sets. What’s the lowest price that still buys quality? Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot,

—Bill

Forest, VA

-- Forest, Virginia ; Micah 6:8 Guitar scrapbook: http://www.youtube.com/user/wfbrown1234?feature=mhee

View bbrown's profile

bbrown

#14 posted 04-28-2013 12:38 PM

I assume that there is no source for the inner drill bit in mortising chisels? One must buy the entire thing – the outer chisel and the bit together? Seems odd that one cannot replace just the bit – it’s all I need.

—Bill

#15 posted 04-28-2013 01:21 PM

I think you have a good assumption there. The inside hole of the chisel and the bit are probably a matched set. Another MFG’s bit might not fit your chisel, it could be too small or too big. It’s the combination the give you your holes.