Onsrud 12 tooth 8" Dado set

Review by Dallas posted 10-25-2011 06:27 PM 2608 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Onsrud 12 tooth 8" Dado set No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this set, mostly on a whim, since my BT3100 isn’t really built for 8” dado blades.
Nevertheless, being addicted to eBay as I am, I was looking at different Dado sets and found this one to be inexpensive, but with my experience with another Onsrud blade thought I would take a chance.

When I received the blade set, in a nice wooden box, I just had to try it. I have lately been trying to make some box joints in Chinaberry wood, which is really brittle. My usual method is to set up a 1/4” straight bit in the router table and run the wood through on a sled/jig. This doesn’t work well as the thin wood has terrible chip-out no matter if I use a face board or a backing board. As I mentioned, Chinaberry is very brittle.

I built a new Box Joint Jig for my TS and set the dado up for 1/4”, (Both outside blades and a shim).

When I ran a scrap piece of Chinaberry through, it came out almost perfect. Only one cut had any tear out and that would be on the inside of the joint. This was without using any face or back board. WOW!... Way Cool!

I next tried setting up the blades for the widest possible cut…. I didn’t measure it, but I think was 27/32”.

This did a very acceptable job in Oak, Sycamore, Birch, Walnut and Osage Orange. It didn’t do quite as well in some SYP I had, but that may have been because the wood was very pitchy and might have grabbed.

I will mention that I did both end grain and cross grain cuts in all the wood and also did some rips in the hard woods. All came out much better than my 3 year old Freud 6” set even when t was new.

The biggest problem I did have was figuring out the shim thicknesses… they are not marked so you have to mike them for thickness.
I also noticed that the noise of the set was quite a bit more than my Freud set, but with the larger size, it was still acceptable.

The 15a universal motor on my Ryobi BT3100 didn’t seem to have a problem at all with the size and weight of the set, but I still won’t be using it as a regular thing to cut dadoes. I’ll be using the Freud but mostly for rough cuts and only use the larger Onsrud for the more critical cuts.

The price of this blade on eBay, from onsrudcutter2010 was $36.00 with free shipping. I probably could have gotten it at the listed price of $35.00, but I put in a bid of $40.00 and someone bid after I did, or as I was making my bid.

The photo shown is the one from the auction and I am using it with permission of the seller.

Overall, I give this blade a 9 out of 10 on my non-scientific scale of trials.
If I were to do it again, I would probably buy the set with more cuter teeth and a smaller diameter, but that is just because of my small saw’s limitations.

Try one, you might like it.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

1 comment so far

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5454 posts in 2029 days

#1 posted 11-14-2011 02:45 AM

Very good review of what appears to be one of the best values in stacked dado sets on the market. These sets are made in Germany by Leitz, a well respected precision manufacturer of industrial quality blades. Anything else in this price range would undoubtedly be made in China with poorer quality…these are clearance prices on blades intended to retail at a much higher price. This particular design is very similar the $90-$95 Freud SD208, and apparently cuts similarly. FWIW, this is the 2nd glowing review I’ve read about this set from a user.